My sister converted!

:confused: My sister recently converted to Mormonism for reasons I don’t understand. i am concerned for her soul’s well being and salvation? What can I do?

start praying a rosary for her. Pray like Saint Monica did for her son Saint Augustine.

Have you tried to talk to her to find out her reasons? maybe this would help you understand even if you do not agree. What you should NOT do is forget that she is your sister - no matter what she believes - and that she is worthy of your love and respect no matter what church either of you go to.

Anne

1. Pray.
  2. Learn your own faith vigorously. Be prepared to give an answer for the joy that lies within you.
  3. Try to understand her reasons. Do this after #3 is well underway. Make sure she feels you are listening to what she is saying, not looking for holes to poke in her reasoning.
  4. After she knows you listened, look for opportunities to share how your faith differs and why.

This is excellent advice. I would add that you should also learn, in depth, about the mormon church. Sometimes people convert without fully realizing what the true teachings of the church are. For example, I know of one convert who did not know for a full two years after conversion that mormons believe that God was once a man who became God. Also, that all mormon men (not women) have the chance to attain godhood of their own planet. They also teach that Jesus Christ is not one in being with the Father, but a separate “god” (this is polythiesm, but I want to make clear that they say they are not polythiests because they only “worship” the Father. However, polythiesm is defined as the belief in the existence of more than one God).

Sometimes the fellowship of the mormon church is so appealing that people jump in without realizing what the teachings are. Please educate yourself on the mormon religion so that you are prepared for her witness to you–and have scripture ready to show her the truth.

FYI-- a powerful scripture to know is Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever.” Mormons believe that Jesus Christ “became” or developed into a “god”. This scripture powerfully contradicts that teaching. I know of a couple of mormons who came out of the church because of that scripture.

Also…brush up on everything you can find out about Joseph Smith. :bigyikes:

The real tragedy is that we have discussed her new beliefs and I listened patiently telling her that no matter what she is my sister and I will love her as long as I live, she went on with it! she is engaged to a mormon and I fear that he pressured her into conversion, even though she said she was doing this for herself, I have serious doubts about it! I know plenty of the LDS faith and I know their “sales tactics” THATS WHY I WORRIED! :eek:

Don’t get discouraged! People come out of Mormonism all the time. I know of several myself. Also, my girlfriend’s Mormon family has two sons down in south America on missions, and they send emails to us every few days that report abysmal results of their activities. Many people get “baptized” but soon fall away as they find out what sort of nonsense Mormonism really is. I believe it is a relatively small percentage of converts who stay converted. Just pray and be patient, loving, and hopeful. And also thankful, I’d say. While Mormonism is a travesty, at least Mormons usually are very good people, following a strong faith and good family life. it could be a LOT worse.

It’s true. I came out of Mormonism. And when I was a missionary in Taiwan (1977-1979), I was dismayed to find that we had about a 5% convert retention rate. That 5% meant that the “convert” stayed active for a year. After a year, the rate was even lower than 5%.

We missionaries spent much of our time tracking down inactive converts and trying to reactivate them, We were never successful. These “converts” attended meetings only until “their missionaries” were transferred to another district. None of these people knew anything about Mormonism, but they all remembered every detail about the missionaries.

The thing is, in foreign missions, especially in poor countries, people want to have American friends. It gives them status and a possible way to get to America. People in poor countries want, more than anything else, to emmigrate to America. They will do almost anything to accomplish this, including getting dunked in the water even if they don’t know why they are getting dunked. By the time we got to them, they had figured out that joining this church was not going to get them to the U.S.

But the LDS Church still reports those people as members. So when the Mormons claim 12 million members worldwide, don’t believe it for a second.

God bless,
Paul

It’s true. I came out of Mormonism. And when I was a missionary in Taiwan (1977-1979), I was dismayed to find that we had about a 5% convert retention rate. That 5% meant that the “convert” stayed active for a year. After a year, the rate was even lower than 5%.

We missionaries spent much of our time tracking down inactive converts and trying to reactivate them, We were never successful. These “converts” attended meetings only until “their missionaries” were transferred to another district. None of these people knew anything about Mormonism, but they all remembered every detail about the missionaries.

The thing is, in foreign missions, especially in poor countries, people want to have American friends. It gives them status and a possible way to get to America. People in poor countries want, more than anything else, to emmigrate to America. They will do almost anything to accomplish this, including getting dunked in the water even if they don’t know why they are getting dunked. By the time we got to them, they had figured out that joining this church was not going to get them to the U.S.

But the LDS Church still reports those people as members. So when the Mormons claim 12 million members worldwide, don’t believe it for a second.

God bless,
Paul

I don’t. And I rejoice in my disbelief!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.