My son at Mass tonight

Tonight we attended a Low Mass for the solemnity of Mary Mother of God. My 4-year-old son, who has the attention span of, well, a 4-year-old, was kind of doing his own thing, crawling on the seat and generally harassing me and his siblings. At the moment of the consecration, however, he looked up and said “Angels are coming!”. Granted, this is probably nothing, and perhaps the ringing of the bells triggered some connection for him, but I have never once heard him mention angels before, and part of me would like to believe that he saw something that I didn’t. Anyway, just thought it was worth sharing.

35 Likes

Very interesting, glad to hear he was inspired during that part of the mass! I went to Latin high mass this past Sunday. It’s a very solemn thing

4 Likes

Hug that boy & kiss his head for me.

8 Likes

He may have seen or sensed something. Regardless, what he said is Theologically sound.

10 Likes

When the Priest calls upon all the saints, angels, dominion, cherubim, seraphim, thrones, (and other groups also) he is calling upon all the angels to descend down around the altar and then we all say “Holy Holy Holy…”. What happens is in fact theologically true and literally happening, we just can’t see it

13 Likes

I know someone who has been privileged to see angels and saints present at Mass. This person has no evidence of schizophrenia or any type of psychosis.

11 Likes

I think this is inline with how sometimes people have an Adoration that is very overpowering and they start crying hard (I’ve had this before) and I felt pressure pushing me down, forcing me to lay prostrate. Now I always pray in adoration prostrate. I think these rare experiences are the Holy Spirit kind of smacking us in the face and saying “hey you want to see to believe, well here it is!” I definitely believe these things are possible though for sure rare. It is possible this young child also had a similar experience, it’s a wonderful thing

3 Likes

Amen.
Amen.
AMEN!

1 Like

Lucky kid. I’d love to see the angels at the consecration, but I have not been so blessed.

6 Likes

‘Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked. “Yes,” Jesus answered, “have you never read: ‘From the mouths of children and infants You have ordained praise’?’ - Matt 21:16

5 Likes

Such a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing this

3 Likes

Maybe you got another St. Padre Pio on your hands!
Praise be to God!

2 Likes

Has he been watching It’s a Wonderful Life"? :grin:

3 Likes

Did he watch It’s A Wonderful Life for
Christmas where everytime a bell rings an angel gets its wings? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a similar situation with my 3 year old granddaughter. At the consecration her eyes opened wide and her mouth dropped open. She then looked at me and started pointing directly at the alter and said, “Look, look, look!”. She absolutely saw something that was not there in the material world. I could only sit and thank God that He let her see a glimpse of Heaven.

My grandson, after I explained that Jesus is in the tabernacle, got a very sad look, almost cried, and said, “but I want to see His face”. Out of the mouths of babes.

4 Likes

Out of the mouths of babes.

Sometimes we think they aren’t listening but I was surprised one day when we had no choir so no Gospel acclamation was sung to hear the 18 month old behind me say, as the priest was processing in silence with the Gospel Book to the ambo, “Alleluia? Alleluia?”

2 Likes

Angels don’t have bodies to be seen.

0 Likes

He saw them.mentally. And when they present themselves they show us the iconic image we know.

0 Likes

They can appear to us in any form God chooses. There are many passages in the Bible that have God “walking as” angels in human form and other times appearing as spirit.

1 Like

You are right and wrong at the same time.

Catechism of St. Pius X
16 Q. What form and figure have the Angels?
A. The Angels have neither form nor material figure of any kind, because they are pure spirits created by God in such a way as to exist without having to be united to a body.

17 Q. Why then are the angels represented under sensible forms?
A. The Angels are represented under sensible forms: (1) As a help to our imagination; (2) Because they have thus appeared many times to men, as we read in Sacred Scripture.
https://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM

1 Like

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.