My Son Starts Culinary School This January

My oldest son is dyslexic and has Tourette’s syndrome which is one of the reasons that I have homeschooled him. Despite scoring high on an IQ test he never did well in school. All his teachers would comment about how bright he was but when it came time to put words on paper he had a lot of problems.

Together we looked up several culinary programs because that is what he wants to do. We found one that is mainly hands on. He will have enough extra classes to earn a bachelors degree, so he will have the same basic English, histories etc that other college kids have to get.

He had to write an essay to enter the college, which he did and, I might say, wrote a very good one. He has come a long way in just a few short years.:thumbsup: As his mind has matured, his dyslexia seems to have improved dramatically.

Yesterday, he went with his dad to his school’s orientation. He got to attend one of the classes and came home full of information on how to make poached chicken with a wine/cream sauce with fresh herbs.:slight_smile: He was very excited.

His goals are to either work overseas in a four or five star restaurant starting at the bottom and working his way up or working on a cruise ship.

I thought that I would post this for anyone who has a child with learning disabilities or physcial problems. If you are worrying about your child’s future, which I did, there is no reason that their individual problems have to limit them. :slight_smile:

How exciting for him and for you. I’m so glad that he’s able to pursue his dreams and not let his differences keep him from working hard to going after his dreams. I know he’ll do very well. :clapping: :dancing: :extrahappy:

Scout :tiphat:

Good for him! Culinary school sounds very neat.

Yummy, an extra bonus for you, when he gets a chance he’ll be able to treat you to nice meals too!!!

Yes. I was getting a bit teary eyed over him leaving and my husband said, “But dear we won’t be loosing a son. We will be gaining a chef.”:thumbsup:

Josh has always liked cooking but strangely, it never occurred to me that this might be what he wanted to do with his life.

When I was sick recently he walked up to a local produce stand-about half a mile to a mile away- bought the ingredients for eggplant parmesan and cooked that for dinner so I wouldn’t have to. So, I know that he will share what he learns with us.:smiley:

A chef in the house - aren’t you lucky!!

Our son, who’s now in the Navy, took culinary arts classes at the community college while in high school (homeschoolers here, too :slight_smile: It was wonderful having such a good cook in the house. When he was home on leave, I asked him to cook! --KCT

That is so awesome!!! My son plans on attending the local vocational school for culinary arts so he can start college with a head start. I am a little worried about my homeschooled boy in the public schools, but it is what he really wants.
Congratulations on gaining a chef, and kudos to your son for knowing what he wants and being willing to work for it.

I think that it is especially hard for homeschoolers to let go of their children just because we have been so involved in their education.

My husband is getting a kick out of torturing his oldest son. My hubby keeps coming up with all types of embarrassing scenarios for him to use when we drop our son off at college.:stuck_out_tongue: My poor son keeps saying,“No, Dad. Mom wouldn’t let you do that.” But it is a little funny to see my son’s look of doubt as if he is thinking, my dad is just crazy enough to do some of this stuff.

Don’t worry, we aren’t going to do anything to embarrass my poor child.

I"m jealous!! I wish one of my kids would be a chef and come cook for me…

Well if you have an 18 year old daugher…

Maybe we could start talking about dowries.:stuck_out_tongue:

Wouldn’t that alarm my son.:smiley:

I should add, if anyone has a child interested in Culinary Arts Managment then there are Art Institutions in many cities across America. Some parents don’t know that their children have options other then a traditional college.:slight_smile:

Amen! I am an adjunct instructor at a university and I see so many kids who have no business being in college. They’d do so much better in something like a culinary school, or vocational program. Anyway, I think we need more plumbers and mechanics and fewer lawyers;)

Deb, send my congratulations to your son. My mom just started culinary school this past fall, and she loves it! This will be her fifth career - she’s almost 60 - and she says that it’s just fascinating to learn so much about food and cooking.

I really think some parents focus too much on “higher education” and not enough on letting their kids prepare themselves for jobs they’d really enjoy and do well at. That happens in Korea, at any rate.

I’m glad to hear that your son isn’t letting learning difficulties get in his way. Wish him the best of luck with his course and with his career. :thumbsup:

I used to worry because, like many parents, I assumed that if my son didn’t attend a more traditional type college he would not be able to make a living and end up unable to support himself. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve come across a few people who, despite having college degrees, were not making much more then my husband and myself.

When my son started to show interest in this career, we looked into how much money he could earn. That might be a dry thing to consider but further down the road, I would hope that he would be able to support his family.

Coming out of college, new chefs don’t make much money but if they are willing to work under a good chef-which is why he is considering Europe to work after college-then they can eventually make a decent income. The type of hands on work that a new cook has to do is what my son excels at.anyway.

My son will still get the experience of living away from home with roomates, plus he will have a bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts Management. For a kid like my oldest son, this school is a very good fit. And I am very happy that he has this option.

His younger brother wants to attend NC State but he is a completely different kid then his brother.

There will be some older people in my son’s classes. I see this as an advantage for him actually. When he finally begins to work in his career field not everyone will be 22 year old graduates. His coworkers will be a variety of ages.

Congratulations to your son. I work in a restaurant, and my Dad owns two, and I can say this. Being a chef sucks, absolutely sucks, when its the only job you’re capable of because of limited schooling. But it is such a fulfilling job to those who WANT to be chefs and they absolutely love it, or so is my experience.

Its a great art being able to cook and I wish him all the best.

Thank you. Maybe my son will open his own restaurant one day.:slight_smile:

I wish I would have gone to culinary school. I enjoy cooking and would love to compete on Iron Chef America someday. :slight_smile:

Congratualations to your son! How wonderful that he has found something that he truly wants to do, and to do well!!
I have a friend whose youngest son is paralyzed from the waist down, and he is also going to culinary school. He has wanted to do this ever since he was a little boy, and he is so excited to be able to live his dream. (And:) yes, he has been cooking for his family for a long time, now, too).

That is wonderful and very inspiring.:thumbsup:

Hearty congratulations to you and your son. My son is ADD - and very much so. Life has been very difficult for him, and he has found little success in so many paths he wanted to pursue - and failure in many areas. However, after trying different roads that we knew wouldn’t work for him (but he didn’t), he is back in the kitchen and happier than he has been in a long time. He enjoys the creativity and I think it is cathartic for him. The fact that a kitchen can be so chaotic suits him very well, as he gets bored easily with routine, repeated tasks. Good luck to your son! (And there is the benefit of some really good food available to you! I can attest!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.