My son wants to become a priest!

Hi,
my 12 years old son recently announced that he wants to become a priest. And he is pretty serious about it. It is not a “developmental phase”.
There is nobody “religious” far and wide in our family on both branches. This leads me to the question of what is happening? Is it the individuals who chose to become religious or, is it God who is doing the choosing?
I think it must be God, because otherwise I just cannot explain it. It is a profoundly mystical experience for me, and I dont know how to respond to it. So, I have very mixed feelings about it.
(I do want my son to be a rich professional of course:)
Any comments?
Tomas

[quote=tomaskovarik]Hi,
my 12 years old son recently announced that he wants to become a priest. And he is pretty serious about it. It is not a “developmental phase”.
There is nobody “religious” far and wide in our family on both branches. This leads me to the question of what is happening? Is it the individuals who chose to become religious or, is it God who is doing the choosing?
I think it must be God, because otherwise I just cannot explain it. It is a profoundly mystical experience for me, and I dont know how to respond to it. So, I have very mixed feelings about it.
Any comments?
Tomas
[/quote]

The priesthood is a calling, a gift from God. Hopefully, others on this board can give more specific advise, I would only urge you to support your son in any and all ways possible. We live in a world where we are told that all jobs are equally valuable, but this is just another case of the disease of relativism. Few are called, but the job of priest is quite simply the most important job in the world.

[quote=tomaskovarik]Hi,
Any comments?
Tomas
[/quote]

You and your son are in my prayers. It sounds as though he has been given a great gift.

Blessings,

Yes, I shall pray for you and your son too. And if it is a real calling I guess, Congrats.

I will pray for your son and his vocation. God calls many at a young age. Some hear the call some simply do not have the family support to take it seriously.

1 Like

[quote=tomaskovarik]I do want my son to be a rich professional of course:)
Any comments?
Tomas
[/quote]

Being a priest is like being a spiritual investment banker. You help your clients maximize the treasures they lay up in Heaven while laying up a sizeable trasure in Heaven for yourself at the same time :smiley:

1 Like

I would suggest that you get your son involved with being an Acolyte, for example. That is a great way for him to develop an attachment to the Mass. Also, maybe you should consider sending him to a high school seminary (if that is at all possible). Teach him to pray well. Sacraments sacraments sacraments. That’s my advice. Also, human development is very important to priesthood. Help him develop good interests like reading and healthy living, athletics, recreation, etc. Pray for your son and thank God for such a gift.

1 Like

[quote=tomaskovarik]Hi,
Any comments?
Tomas
[/quote]

What a blessing! I would suggest that he be encouraged. Maybe you can have him talk to priests. Whenever I talk to a priest, I have them pray for my son’s vocation. I will also pray for your son.

Good to hear! I want to second the idea of encouraging his involvement in your parish as an altar boy or helping teach younger kids, etc. The important thing is not to push him either toward or away from anything–just let him know how he can be involved in the parish or at home! Also encourage him in continuing to develop his spiritual life thru Bible reading, prayer, Eucharist Adoration, the Rosary. etc. This will be fruitful in whatever God calls him to!

Is it the individuals who chose to become religious or, is it God who is doing the choosing?

It is God who calls. The individual chooses to respond to God’s call or not. We all have a call to holiness through our baptism. The vocation to the priesthood (or religious life or married life) is the way Christ calls is to live out that call to holiness.

It certainly wouldn’t be unusual for the Holy Spirit to use your son wanting to become a priest to call you to greater holiness. Discerning a call is a process that involves the whole Church, especially at his age the “domestic church” of the family.

Brian

[quote=tomaskovarik]Hi,
my 12 years old son recently announced that he wants to become a priest. And he is pretty serious about it. It is not a “developmental phase”. s
[/quote]

our pastor tells us he knew without a doubt in 3rd grade that he was called to be a priest, and since then never had doubts, although he did have some detours in the process. He credits being an altar server and contact with holy priests in his parish and Catholic school as an important influence.

God is good! For me, going to Mass more often and encouragement from others has really helped me in my journey. Do whatever you can to help him, especially Mass and Adoration. Both have helped me tremendously. God Bless.

Yesterday’s Catholic Answers Live program was very interesting. I’m sure you can get some ideas on there about how to keep encouraging your son.

Feb. 13th. program

This is where discernment takes place and I would take it very, very seriously. This is where the hard part comes in.

When he gets a little older, have him talk to a good spiritual director that you guys know and can trust.

However, it’s very cautious to know if this calling is really from God or his own desire. Why? Because I was discerning a vocation to the religious life and after a year of wasting my time and discerning, I found out I wasn’t called, which was a huge disappointment. I realized it was my own desire. But not to discourage you or anything, just keep on praying, take him to the Eucharistic Adoraton, recieve the Eucharist, pray the Rosary, etc. Your son has a gift if he’s called. Remember, to read about the saints!

Discernment can be a very long time but it’s good that he’s at a young age to do it. As he gets older and older, there may be signs that he is called to the priesthood or not.

Good luck and you both will be in my prayers!:thumbsup:

I’ll pray for your son. My brother wants to become a priest also. I am very supportive of him. Once a mom gives her son to god she’ll go to Heaven. thats what my uncle says. since he is a priest. I hear many other priests and deacons say that alot. so I believe its true.

Thanks for your replies.
I am trying not to be discouraging, although I have to admit that I do have problems with it for some reason. Maybe I am too secular, I feel selfish. At times I say to God “Take him, you made him”, and at other times I plead with God “Please, dont take him, I want to be a gradfather”.
I did make a joke with my son though, that we both were able to laugh at. I told him that, when he becomes a priest, I will go to a confession to him (my son), and tell him “father, forgive me, I sinned…” to which he has to reply something like “OK, son, go on, tell me” and I will say “I spanked my son yesterday” and he will say “I know, my butt still hurts”.

So, I am waiting around for “signs”, although it is probably premature at this point…keep praying for us both
Thanks
Tomas

Weridly enough i got an email about some books and vocation…You might want to pick one of them up…

[/font]***“Wild at Heart”***

[/font]***“Let Your Life Speak”***

[/font]***“Discovering Your Personal Vocation”***%between%

[/font]***“Journey of Desire”***

[quote=tomaskovarik]Hi,
Any comments?
Tomas
[/quote]

I think its wonderful that he wants to become a priest! :o

[quote=tomaskovarik]Thanks for your replies.
I am trying not to be discouraging, although I have to admit that I do have problems with it for some reason. Maybe I am too secular, I feel selfish. At times I say to God “Take him, you made him”, and at other times I plead with God “Please, dont take him, I want to be a gradfather”.

So, I am waiting around for “signs”, although it is probably premature at this point…keep praying for us both
Thanks
Tomas
[/quote]

Is it possible to have more kids? I made a comment a few weeks ago in my homily that it seems people only want one or two kids and a dozen or so grandkids. They forget if they only have one or two kids and those kids follow the example of their parents there will only be 1 to four grandkids. One member of my parish here had 16 kids, 40+ grandkids and is working on 10+ great-grandkids. Her husband’s siblings also had several kids. There are 70+ members of her children’s generation and over 100 in the next generation and still growing.
If you want grandkids, have kids, or adopt kids, then you’ll be much more supportive if a child is called to priesthood or religious life.
I’ll keep you in my prayers. If any one here has a copy of the vocation prayer they use at all of the parishes in South Dakota it would be nice to see it posted here. There is a line in there about praying that parents will have the generosity necessary to offer their children whenever one of them is called to serve the church. I think we need to hear that prayer more often

Here is the prayer

Prayer for Vocations

Jesus, High Priest and Redeemer forever, we beg you to call young men and women to your service as priests and religious. May they be inspired by the lives of dedicated priests, Brothers, and Sisters. Give to parents the grace of generosity and trust toward you and their children so that their sons and daughters may be helped to choose their vocations in life with wisdom and freedom.

Lord, you told us that the harvest indeed is great but the laborers are few. Pray, therefore, the Lord of the harvest to send laborers into his harvest. We ask that we may know and follow the vocation to which you have called us. We pray particularly for those called ot serve as priests, Brothers and Sisters; those whom you have called, those you are calling now, and those you will call in the future. May they be open and responsive to the call of serving your people. We ask this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Thanks be to God! I really do think that God is calling many of our youth to become good, holy priests to serve this generation. It’s very good to hear that you are supporting your son’s vocation. I am 20 years old and discerning the priesthood. However, I have not received family support at all. I pray that the hearts of my parents change. My message to all: pray for the youth and their vocations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.