My (soon to be former if things to not change) Parish

Since my other thread was obliterated in the crash, I need to reconstruct it.

Starting a few months ago now, the “Music Minister” introduced a new “Mass Setting”. However, some of the changes concern me. The specific changes I am talking about are:
[LIST=1]
*]Agnus Dei: According to the GIRM, “Lamb of God” cannot be changed to words like “Bread of Life”
*]Gloria: The most recent change omits and changes words in the Gloria. Specifically, “only Son of the Father” has been changed and “have mercy on us; you are seated at the right hand of the Father: receive our prayers” has been completely omitted. To me this is the most egregious of the changes.
*]Gospel Acclamation: The words after the “Alleluia” is completely inappropriate since they are not in the GIRM.[/LIST]Since then a new issue came up two weeks ago. The guest priest did not give a homily but let a laywoman speak in violation of Can. 767 ß1 (The most important form of preaching is the homily, which is part of the liturgy, and is reserved to a priest or deacon. In the course of the liturgical year, the mysteries of faith and the rules of Christian living are to be expounded in the homily from the sacred text.) I got up and left to go to another Mass as soon as she started to speak. Since I sit at near the front, most everyone saw me. I have not been back since.

PF

I went through the same thing. However what I went through was allowed to happen. (Altar Girls).

I was training altar boys at my parish and witnessed how those fighting still for the ordination of women were thrown a bone so to say even in defiance of the Pope.

When I was told that girls will be serving alongside boys I left the parish. Thank God for the establishment of my new parish, Mater Ecclesiae.

Ken

from what I hear a local bishop can allow lay people to give reflections for homilies. Regardless of if its a good idea I think it can happen… maybe a change happened and your bishop allowed it.

If not I would write to him and let him know your feelings. As long as the mass isn’t invalidated though, I myself would still go even if there were things i was upset about.

Off Topic!

Hey, Ken,
Where do you live? I live about 40 min. from Mater Ecclesiae.:thumbsup:
Peace,
Linda

You are now returned to your regularly scheduled topic!

From where are you hearing this?

And you see that is the very reason why I am not registered at the local parish here. This summer the altar girls were wearing flip flops while serving Mass - and lay people where you are give reflections on the readings - approved by the local ordinary - what a travesty- maybe they can invite Jack Van Impe to give a reflection!

Ken

No. The only time a Bishop may permit a lay ‘reflection’ is outside of a Mass, during a Communion Service done if a priest is not present.

If it is during a Mass, the homily MUST be given by a priest or deacon. If a layperson must speak ( like a missionary sister, or a parish council member) that is done after Communion, before the final blessing.

Oh, for heaven’s sake!! :banghead: Everybody needs to get over the alter girl issue. My parish has an approximate 50/50 split on boys and girls serving as servers. It’s not a problem.

If a boy has a calling to the priesthood, God will guide him to it regardless on whether he serves next to a girl or not.

WA, you have a PM.

Answered it.

PF

I left my parish and haven’t been to Mass in this diocese for over three years.

I think more people need to stand up for something, and I’m glad to see somebody else admit the same.

There’s a lot of people dropping out anyway, and that hasn’t seemed to make a difference, up here in the Saginaw Diocese. It’s just written off to the “national trend.” – a convenient way to rationalize dissent and the status quo.

I seem to have read several times in my life, to flee from those who are false teachers. That’s what I’ve done and that’s my rationalization.

Bp. Carlson is really working hard on fixing Saginaw. He’s got 14 orthodox seminarians. If you can get to a Mass he’s celebrating, go, go, go!

thank you mike, i agree! and what about a female having a calling to religious service/voacation as a result of being an alter server?

True!

My parish has both male and female altar servers too. The female servers are slowly taking overly largely due to a sexist female “altar server coordinator” who gives great preference to females, of all ages with support from our pastor. I don’t believe my parish is unique in this regard.

I can say right now with certainty who will be the four servers at the next Easter Vigil Mass. Four women aged 50-70 who crave to be priestesses and this is as close as they are going to get. These women pull a lot of weird antics when they serve. This sort of favoritism and shenanigans is a huge turn-off for many, particularly male servers.

Until this “altar server coordinator” or the pastor is one day replaced, I expect the number of males who serve will continue to decline, and that is tragic.

The approval of females serving at the altar was born amidst abuse and I pray that it will one day be reversed.

You are right. Altar girls was for many years deliberate and open disobedience to the expressed teachings of Pope John Paul II and the entire history of church discipline on this matter.
John Paul finally gave in back in the 90s.
Personally, I have no problem with female altar servers so long as they are reverent. The girls at my parish do a good job.
We too have about a 50-50 mix of altar boys/altar girls.
Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)

Well my diocese allows it… people have complained but the Bishop openly allows it. He has allowed religious sisters to give a reflection homily. I have seen it happen at 3 of the 4 catholic churches I have attended over the past 5 years.

Mike:

When the Church had Male Acolytes only, she didn’t have a Priest crises or any problem betting enough priest. Now, that the Church is doing it the way you and the feminists want, the Church has the Vocations (and Episcopal) Crisis we’ve all heard about.

Unless you want to Ordain women priestesses, this is a preity dreadful way to go - Wouldn’t you think?

Even Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI have stated that serving at the Alter is the first step in the formation of Priests, and both have said that the lack of Male Acolytes, Coupled with the Abundance of Famale Alter Servers in many parishes (many have almost no Male Acolytes and almost all female alter servers), has made it harder for young men to hear the call to the priesthood or to have the early formation so many priests had 50-100 years ago.

I think that Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI knew what they were talking about. I don’t the Alter of Sacrifice is where we should be trying to advance the feminist agenda or any other agendas except for the Gospel of Christ and the Catholic Faith.

What does having Famale Alter Servers instead of Male Acolytes have to do with advancing the Gospel of Christ or providing young men with the beginnings of priestly formation?

Why do you think those Churches which haven’t done as you want them to do don’t have a “Vocations Crisis”?

Your Brother in Christ, Michael

Grumpy:

Sounds like you’re going to have to change your name! I mean, you have an orthodox Bishop with a Zeal for souls who is doing what is needed to reverse this ongoing “Vocations Crisis”.

Mary I suggest “Formerly Grumpy”! :rotfl:

Your Brother in Christ, Michael

That doesn’t mean it’s allowed, just that it’s done. Only a priest or deacon can give the homily.

nccbuscc.org/norms/766.htm
<<The diocesan bishop will determine the appropriate situations in accord with canon 772§1. In providing for preaching by the lay faithful the diocesan bishop may never dispense from the norm which reserves the homily to the sacred ministers (c. 767§1; cfr. Pontifical Commission for the Authentic Interpretation of the Code of Canon Law, 26 May 1987, in AAS 79 [1987], 1249). Preaching by the lay faithful may not take place within the Celebration of the Eucharist at the moment reserved for the homily>>

What you describe sounds like an abuse.

Jennifer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.