My Soul doth Magnify?

46 And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord.

The definition of Magnify “To make greater in size; enlarge”

What doth this word “Magnify” mean to you as a Christian?

To me it is plain and simple, Mary’s soul Magnifies the Lord, for us all. Truth is we can all find Jesus without Mary, but if you have been given the Grace to go through Mary, Mary’ Soul will Magnify Her Son and Her God to you 70X7X unto infinity!

Virgin Mary, for those who go to Her through the Lord’s Grace, She will indeed Magnify the Lord, same as you put a magnifying glass to a book, the smallest of words, are not small anymore.

Virgin Mary, spent her time on earth and now in Heaven Magnifying the Lord to us all, and happy are they who use this avenue called Virgin Mary to find our Lord everyday.

So lets let Virgin Mary’s Soul Magnify the Lord unto us.

To JESUS through Mary? Yes, why not, I mean many have come to know Jesus Christ through a parent, sister, brother, friend am I not right? Well, Here is Mary who said while she was filled with the Holy Spirit that “My Soul Doth Magnify The Lord”! So who can take us closer to Jesus Christ, than His Own Mother? I tell you no one can do it better than Mary! Amen

Thank You Blessed Mother for Magnifying the Lord unto me, who is my Savior and My God. Amen

Ufamtobie

Makes you/ aids you to see more clearly?

Would that be right?

StrawberryJam,

Yes! Mary Magnifies the Lord, through her I and all come to know my/our Savior more readily!

Ufamtobie

Our Blessed Mother Mary “introduced” me to our Saviour which in turn brought me out of the DARKNESS of my athiest world.

I was up late reading about different world faiths (I guess I was spiritually searching…;)God sometimes puts that in our hearts) when I came upon writtings about Mary. I was completely captivated by her, I can remember even starting to cry with a most confusing feeling of Love for her.

Something strange happened though as I was reading about Mary, the name JESUS kept coming up, in fact, Jesus was the Center of everything I was reading. I was curious enough at this point to switch my reading focus to HIM. And the rest they say is HISTORY!!!:thumbsup:

Before reading about our Blessed Mother Mary, I had ZERO interest in knowing anything about God or Christianity (I thought they were all fairytails and “feelgood stories”) By the time I had finished reading that night, I BELIEVED that God truly does exist and that started me on my journey to finding Him.

Not only does Mary Magnify the Lord, but if you let her, she will gently take you by the hand and lead you directly to the Foot of the Cross and personally introduce you to her Son, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.:thumbsup:

The writer of Luke used 1 Samuel 2:1, “Hannah’s Song”, when he wrote the nativity story. “Magnify” means “glorify”, “extol”, “exalts”…not to “make larger” in one’s life.

Amen! :slight_smile:

The Blessed Virgin is truly an asset to us that many Protestants seem to overlook. She was given to us to be our Mother at the Cross and she does truly magnify the Lord.

I know of several people brought to Christ through Mary, espically some of my Pagan friends who were feminists and into the “Goddess”. They always viewed Christianity as degrading to women. Then someone shows them that one of our greatest heroes (without reserve our greatest after our Lord) was a woman, and a mother. This has historically and today serves as a excellent bridge for many people to come to Christ.

We are truly fortunate to have her praying for us and have her serving as an example for us by her virtue and example through the Grace of God.

Publisher, Mary was filled with the Holy Spirit, when She said the words “My Soul doth Magnify the Lord” The correct word She uttered at that time was Magnify, not glorify or extol or exalts through Virgin Mary does all of these as well and then some.

If you look, the first definition of the word “magnify” you will find it; to make larger, to bring things closer.

But I don’t expect you to understand when you don’t have the Grace from above to understand, pray for it! Amen

Ufamtobie

I see.

From the Jerusalem Bible (a Catholic xlation) “46 And Mary said: My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord”

Gives a different slant on “magnify”…at least to my “graceless” spirit.

QUOTE=MaryandJoseph;6835867]Our Blessed Mother Mary “introduced” me to our Saviour which in turn brought me out of the DARKNESS of my athiest world.

I was up late reading about different world faiths (I guess I was spiritually searching…;)God sometimes puts that in our hearts) when I came upon writtings about Mary. I was completely captivated by her, I can remember even starting to cry with a most confusing feeling of Love for her.

Something strange happened though as I was reading about Mary, the name JESUS kept coming up, in fact, Jesus was the Center of everything I was reading. I was curious enough at this point to switch my reading focus to HIM. And the rest they say is HISTORY!!!:thumbsup:

Before reading about our Blessed Mother Mary, I had ZERO interest in knowing anything about God or Christianity (I thought they were all fairytails and “feelgood stories”) By the time I had finished reading that night, I BELIEVED that God truly does exist and that started me on my journey to finding Him.

Not only does Mary Magnify the Lord, but if you let her, she will gently take you by the hand and lead you directly to the Foot of the Cross and personally introduce you to her Son, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.:thumbsup:

MaryandJoseph,

AWESOME! PRAISE BE JESUS CHRIST! BLESSED IS THE MOST HOLY EVER VIRGIN MARY OUR MOTHER! AMEN

Ufamtobie

New American Bible…
"46
And Mary said: 16 “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;”

Not sure what your point is, other than finding differing translations of the Bible to try and discredit the OP. Here are three more and one of them the Protestant KJV of the Bible that says Magnify. Why the typical stomp on the Blessed Mother and anyone who believes in the singularly uniqueness of her role in Christian history.

Douay Rheims
Luke 1:46 And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord.

Latin Vulgate
Luke 1:46 et ait Maria magnificat anima mea Dominum

KJV Luke 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord

Mag•nif•i•cat
–noun

1. (italics ) the hymn of the Virgin Mary in Luke, 1:46–55, beginning “My soul doth magnify the Lord,” used as a canticle at evensong or vespers.
  2. a musical setting for this.

Origin:
1150–1200; ME < L: (it) magnifies (from the first word of the hymn)
Mag•nif•i•cat (māg-nĭf’ĭ-kāt’)
n.
a.The canticle beginning Magnificat anima mea Dominum (“My soul doth magnify the Lord”).
b.A musical setting of this canticle.
2. magnificat A hymn or song of praise.

[Middle English, from Medieval Latin, from Latin magnificat, it magnifies, third person sing. present tense of magnificāre, to magnify, extol; see magnify.]
Word Origin & History

Magnificat
c.1200, from L. third pers. sing. of magnificare (see magnificence), from first words of the Virgin’s hymn (Luke i.46, in Vulgate Magnificat anima mea dominum “My soul doth magnify the Lord”) used as a canticle.

Publisher, publisher, publisher,are you a publisher of books? If you are, you should know that books are always copied and wordings are changed such as Magnify to my Soul Proclaimes and so it is, with the bible, I am very sorry to say.

Even yourself you quote “THE NEW AMERICAN BIBLE” …What ever happened to the OLD BIBLE, why did it ever have to change.

Do not look into the New Bible look for your information in the old bible there you will find Mary filled with the Holy Spirit saying: “MY SOUL DOTH MAGNIFY THE LORD”

Ufamtobie

Yes, like i said to you before look for your information in the oldest bible, there you will get the correct wording.

Publisher, Grace is given to everyone who accepts it who prays for it, and as for your graceless spirit, I did not say that, you did, this should tell you something.

Ufamtobie

Why doesn’t Publisher have the Grace from above to understand?

This troubles me.

Ok…Let’s read the oldest translation of Luke 1:46… the Greek:

Καὶ εἶπεν Μαριάμ· Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν κύριον,

Kai eipen Mariam megalunei ē psuchē mou ton kurion.

and said Mary exalts the soul of me the Lord.

Megalunei (strong’s #3170) = To make or declare as great; to exalt; hold in high esteem; high esteem.

Exalt = laud: praise, glorify, or honor; raise in rank, character, or status; To honor; to hold in high esteem; ecstasy: a state of being carried away by overwhelming emotion

Thus Luke 1:46 (accurate) - “and Mary said [with overwhelming emotion & ecstacy], ‘my soul praises, glorifies, and honors the Lord!’”

…But you did say that he had not “Grace”, which would make him “grace-less”.

you said:

But I don’t expect you to understand when you don’t have the Grace from above to understand.

But what does the Greek say?

Thanks Joshua

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.