My sponsor instructed me to get in the communion line for a blessing

My sponsor instructed me that instead of just staying behind in the pew during Holy Communion, I should get in line (but not receive - just cross my arms in an X over my chest so they know) to get the blessing. But I’m pretty sure I’ve read somewhere on these forums that that’s actually not a good thing. What should I do?

I suggest you stay in your pew.

It´s nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn´t make you want to do anything you shouldn´t :slight_smile: I used to do it as well before I were done with RCIA and converted :slight_smile:

Thank you… I want to bring it up to her that the way she mentioned might not be the right thing to do, but I’m a little wary to because I do that a lot and I don’t want her to get agitated with me :sweat_smile:

You’re right, there have been many threads on this subject, which seems to hold a strange fascination for posters on both sides of the debate.

The bottom line is, each diocese and even each parish has its own rules. You can be confident that your sponsor is passing on to you the instructions he has been given, in turn, by the pastor. Whatever the pastor says, do it. You can’t go wrong.

That’s not true. If it’s allowed (or even encouraged) at your parish AND you feel comfortable (or even good) about processing up for a blessing then do so.

Otherwise do not. Simple.

Interestingly, Byzantine Catholics (and possibly other Eastern Catholics) present themselves for Holy Communion with crossed arms.

You could just say that while you appreciate her suggestion, you just feel more comfortable staying in the pew and waiting there until the day that you can approach and truly receive communion. After all, they should honor your choice, right?

If you would like a blessing, you should go up and receive one. There is nothing wrong with it. Our Diocesan Bishop often says mass at our parish and always invites people up for a blessing in the communion line if they are not able to receive.

^^^This sounds like the right approach.

There is nothing wrong with going up for a blessing, but it is an optional choice for you to make.
There is no requirement that you go up.

You don’t sound like you’re comfortable with going up, or that you freely choose to go up.
So you shouldn’t have to go up just because your sponsor said you should.

On the issue of “is it the right thing to do”, that’s a matter of opinion and different Catholics will feel differently about it. So I don’t think you should be telling your sponsor that it’s wrong to go up for a blessing.

Okay, thank you. Maybe I got the wrong idea when reading whatever’s it is I read. That clears it up.

Unfortunately, it’s easy for people to get the idea when Catholics here vehemently object to something like going up for a blessing, and even post articles from prominent clergy saying the practice is wrong, that the Church officially teaches that the practice is wrong.

It’s simply yet another one of those practices that some priests like, some priests don’t like, some parishes regularly do and other parishes discourage.

There is no requirement to receive a blessing in the Communion line.

Even worse is having EMHCs giving blessings; NO authority or usefulness.

If you want to stay in your pew, stay in your pew. If you do not want to or cannot receive Communion there is no point, IMHO, in going up to get a blessing. At the end of Mass the priest blesses everybody. What would happen if you ended up in front of an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion (EMHC)? I do not think an EMHC can give a blessing. Your sponsor cannot order you about!

The communion line is not for the “pretzel” blessing; this was another trendy thing that started in the 90’s along with blessing children before mass ended. A good way to teach why this is not necessary is to tell people that the blessing given by the padre at the end of mass is valid for all.

I go to mass at a church that is under the authority of one in only three latin rite patriarchs in Catholicism - the Lisabon patriarch. And I see frequently folks going up in communion line to receive the blessing. Be it folks that haven’t had a chance to confess lately, children that haven’t received first communion, and what not. So, don’t worry about what @1ke or @stpurl are “suggesting” because cardinal patriarchs are overjoyed to be “practicing” those blessings.

I received that blessing in moments of great hardship, and that blessing did me a world of good.

You should stop trying to correct your sponsor. It is the role of a sponsor to walk this part of your journey with you. It is not your role to “teach” your sponsor or anyone else working with the RCIA team.

There have been so many threads on this topic, always with the same outcome, no real consensus. If going up for a blessing is what is customary in your parish, follow the custom. This is not a hill you want to die on.

And if what they’re teaching is wrong? I mean, are you presuming that sponsors receive special catechesis of some sort?

What if they’re not wrong?

Hence the OP’s question, trying to discern whether there was an issue with her sponsor’s direction.

If I don’t feel I should receive Communion I just stay in the pew. Fine to receive a blessing but everyone is blessed at the end of Mass anyway. By the priest, not an EMHC.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.