My sponsor instructed me to get in the communion line for a blessing

And there isn’t. Going up for a blessing is not wrong or right, it is just a custom, not doctrine. When in Rome and all…

And that’s your opinion. There are others. :wink:

I’ve only corrected my sponsor on things that I know for a fact are wrong. Even then, I don’t do it in a way that shows authority, but as a friend. My sponsor can learn from me just as I can learn from my sponsor.

There is certainly nothing wrong with questioning anything. During my own RCIA, everything was questioned. There was a need for certainty on my conversion.

As to the blessing or not, I enjoyed it much. The logistics of the matter, if you stay in the pew, were inconvenient at best. When people don’t go up, everyone filing back into the pew have to deal with stepping around those that didn’t.

During the EWTN mass, they say this, as an act of spiritual communion for those that can’t receive:
My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.

Amen.

Whether you receive a blessing or remain in the pew, this short devotion, is easy to memorize and will help you to connect with God.

You should remain kneeling in your pew. The priest blesses the entire congregation at the concluding rites of Mass, and this is valid for all, not just one.

To me the idea of going up for a blessing was implemented to be more “politically correct”, and to satisfy those people who felt excluded somehow from fully participating in the Mass, and by going up to the priest for a blessing they somehow felt included.

While remaining in your pew it would be better to make an act of spiritual Communion with our Lord.

You might find this thread to be of help: Our Father hand-holding and Communion blessings

Why not ask your Priest what he thinks about it?

Good idea.

I was told that I could do the same. After attending a few Masses, I did go forward for the blessing. Then I heard on one of the call-in shows and saw comments on this forum that I shouldn’t. I asked my priest after Mass. He gave thought, and said I should continue going forward for the blessing. I went with what my priest told me to do and never regretted it. I remember the last time I had to cross my arms - looking forward to the first time I would receive. Ask your priest, he is your authority.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.