My spouse refuses to validate our marriage, now what?

My wife is a devout Baptist,while I have recently returned to the Catholic church. I have asked her to have our marriage blessed by the church. At first she was very supportive, however now she has cooled to the idea, She has made some disparaging remarks like “I don’t need the Catholic Church to recognize my marriage”. I’ve known her for over half of her 35 years, and I know that I can’t force her into anything. Since I cannot receive communion until Our marriage is blessed, how can I fully participate in my religion?

Code of Canon Law:

Can. 1161 §1. The radical sanation of an invalid marriage is its convalidation without the renewal of consent, which is granted by competent authority and entails the dispensation from an impediment, if there is one, and from canonical form, if it was not observed, and the retroactivity of canonical effects.

In situations where one spouse refuses to validate the marriage in the Church the spouse who wishes to validate the marriage can apply for what’s called a radical sanation. In a radical sanation the local Bishop retroactively grants a dispensation from canonical form and accepts the original vows as valid.

You can discuss this with your local pastor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit