My staff "Favor"

In The Book of Zechariah, Chapter 11 Verse 10 states:

Then I took my staff "Favor" and snapped it asunder, breaking off the covenant which I had made with all peoples; that day it was broken off.     

Why is the staff called "Favor"?

Looking a few verses back, we find the following verse and explanation: [7] And I will feed the flock of slaughter for this, O ye poor of the flock. And I took unto me two rods, one I called Beauty, and the other I called a Cord, and I fed the flock.

(NOTE) [7] Two rods: Or shepherd’s staves, meaning the different ways of God’s dealing with his people; the one, by sweet means, called the rod of Beauty: the other, by bands and punishments, called the Cord. And where both these rods are made of no use or effect by the obstinacy of sinners, the rods are broken, and such sinners are given up to a reprobate sense, as the Jews were.

drbo.org/chapter/43011.htm

Douay-Rheims uses “beauty” instead of “favor” as the name, but the meaning appears to be the same. Carrot and stick - first they ignored the carrot, so it was broken, then they ignored the stick, so it was broken, and bad stuff happened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.