My teacher is Wicca

Hello everyone!

I am a senior in high school, and I have a Digital Photography teacher that professes himself to be “Christian Wicca.” Don’t ask me what that means, I don’t know. But here’s what he said:

I believe in Jesus Christ, and that he is the savior of humankind. However, I also believe in some of the teachings of Wicca, like good and evil energy.

I haven’t worried about it much until today. He is a very kind man, never does anything against anyone, and has a very good will for everyone. He plays Dungeons and Dragons, and I play as well. I will find the post that led me to the decision to play, but the general consensus (based on a Catholic Forum topic) is that if it doesn’t go against Catholic beliefs, and you can differentiate between fiction and reality, it should be okay. (Again, I will find the CF post about this.)

HOWEVER, I am a little on the border about continuing to hang out in his classroom during lunch and before school after a revelation: He told me today that in both of his classrooms he does what he calls a “Four Corners Spell.” He says it has the effect of bringing feelings of peace and safety to the area, and I do feel this.

Ironically, while I am in there with the peace, I feel more in contact with Jesus and feel like he is guiding and protecting me from anything that could possibly detriment my faith. I don’t mean this in the sense of evil, Satanic temptation, etc., but I feel he strengthens my faith while I am in there to stand firm and be wary of a possibility of trying to convert me. Please note, he has never tried to convince me to join Wicca, and he says he respects mine and everyone’s religions and that I put off a “good vibe.” He also never brings any form of religion into his D&D world, keeping strictly to the players’ handbook while omitting the fishy stuff. I think of it as “Legend of Zelda with paper, pen, and dice.”

Let me know what you think. I would love to continue hanging out with the group and use my computer during lunch, but if it is of significant concern I will only go during the class period. Once again, I will post a couple of CF topics pertaining to “Friends who are Wicca” and “D&D and the Catholic faith.”

Thank you for your help, and God bless. May God enlighten you during your posts, and I am praying about it myself.
-Andrew Thomas

I think that a photography teacher should be talking about photography, not Wicca. And I don’t believe you have any reason to be “hanging out” in his classroom nor playing D&D with him.

I guess it’s an example of religious syncretism, where someone combines things from different religions.

Sounds like he’s just a bit of a hippy. I wouldn’t be too worried, given that he seems tolerant of your faith and you’re not remotely interested in converting.

Yep, he reminds me of that guidance counselor we all had in high school. You know, THAT guy.

How about Jesus? He’s also talking about Jesus.

In general, I think it’s a bad idea for teachers to get into this kind of stuff with their students. But would I worry about him? Nahhh.

This is what I was thinking too!

if he is a photography teacher, why is he even talking about this? LOL When I was in school, the teachers never discussed their personal lives, and we, the students didnt ask, or care…not sure what has changed in all these years though, maybe teachers today feel the need to be friends with everyone?

Your teacher should stick to the subject he’s teaching while he’s in the classroom. Outside of the classroom, he should feel free to discuss anything he likes. I might suggest you find other places to hang out during lunch. :wink:

Mormons talk about Jesus, too. But I wouldn’t want them talking about Jesus to my kid.

Since I’ve heard the “during class” comment a lot, let me clarify: He only briefly mentions it occasionally, and it’s when he’s not teaching.

Here is where I found the stance on D&D: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=709108&highlight=dnd

And here is where the “friends with Wicca” post is: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=408741&highlight=wicca+teacher

I forgot to ask: what is the reason that one should not play D&D with one’s teacher?

Isn’t D&D forbidden for us to play with anyone since it’s…with…is the occult or something else?

I hear what you’re saying. I guess what I should have said was “during school hours” when he’s supposed to be teaching a certain subject. I know that all of my teacher friends have certain things they are not supposed to discuss at school with the students, and religious views fall under those topics. Perhaps it’s different at your school, though.

Oh, well, it’s no more “occult” than, say, Magic: the Gathering (which really isn’t).

I suppose it could be used to that end, in the same sense that creative writing can be (since essentially that’s at the core of what D&D is). But no, in general, the idea of a wizard using a fireball to destroy an evil ogre isn’t much different than Superman using his heat-ray on Dr. Doom.

One thing we have to consider is that the OP is with his teacher during the teacher’s “free periods” in which the teacher doesn’t have anything going on at the moment. If it’s just a student talking to a teacher outside of the normal class period, then I wouldn’t be worried. If the teacher discussed it while he was supposed to be teaching class, then that’s an issue. Leave it outside that class period.

With that said, I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong for you and him to talk about your personal lives, but I wouldn’t let it get too “out of hand” for lack of a better phrase.

I have a teacher with whom I have discussed personal matters, and I never felt it odd or out of place. It always happened during her free period, never during class.

One thing that I don’t agree with is the “spell” he did. That shouldn’t be done in school. Leave it for home.

I don’t think it is right in or out of class. A teacher is an authority figure and the authority persists in their leisure time and private life whether or not they are teaching a class. This teacher is proselytizing to a Christian and damaging his faith. The OP should have close ties to a priest who would be able to guide him in these spiritual matters, this teacher is not a priest, not a Catholic, and not qualified to be preaching about anything except photography.

The OP is probably still responsible to his parents and living at home. Do your parents know what is being preached to you at school? Do your parents take you to Divine Liturgy on Sundays and observe the fasts and Holy Days according to your Rite? I would hope that you find the time to fit in some religious observance according to your baptism and chrismation in-between all the goofing around. Nevermind if D&D can damage your faith but perhaps consider that it is always a huge time-sink, and your time right now is better spent in worthwhile extracurricular activities that could attract the attention of a good college which should be in your future.

I agree. As a teacher myself, I can’t think of many occasions where it would be appropriate to share my religious/political viewpoints with a student.

The OP is probably still responsible to his parents and living at home. Do your parents know what is being preached to you at school? Do your parents take you to Divine Liturgy on Sundays and observe the fasts and Holy Days according to your Rite? I would hope that you find the time to fit in some religious observance according to your baptism and chrismation in-between all the goofing around.

“All the goofing around”? You mean the few minutes before school starts and the half an hour (or so) during lunch? How pray tell would that interfere with observing the Holy Days and attending mass? Why does quiet recreation during one’s lunch period count as “goofing around” in a negative way?

Nevermind if D&D can damage your faith

There’s no reason it should.

but perhaps consider that it is always a huge time-sink, and your time right now is better spent in worthwhile extracurricular activities that could attract the attention of a good college which should be in your future.

What activity do you want him to be doing in the few minutes before school starts and during his lunch period that would impress a college admissions board? Again, as a teacher myself, I can’t imagine what it is that you mean to suggest. Perhaps he could use every waking moment outside of Church doing nothing but attempting to impress college admissions boards, as you suggest. That is one way to “live,” though it’s not for all of us.

It doesn’t seem like the teacher is trying to “proselytize” him. The OP stated that numerous times. Also, the OP probably doesn’t have enough time to attract college admission boards before school or during his lunch period; he can have some free time, too!

OP, as I said, I would try and keep religious talk at a minimum. It’s nice that you’re comfortable enough to talk to him about anything, but remember that you are the student, and he is the teacher.

Thank you VeritasLuxMea for the breakdown on this.

The D&D is only during those small periods, and I oftentimes do other things before school or during lunch, and he respects student’s other obligations over the game group. I am also in National Honor Society (there are meetings after school once a month and we do 20 hrs community service/yr) and Science National Honor Society (meetings before school every Tuesday, and other activities such as our Disneyland trip at the end of April).

We go to church every Sunday. We don’t do the typical fasting per priest’s exemption for medical issues, but replace the food fast with other things.

For “college admissions boards,” I was accepted to Colorado School of Mines with a pretty nice Merit Scholarship.

And for “discussing religious/political views,” as I mentioned above he rarely mentions it, most non-classroom discussion revolves around the ROTC Air-rifle team he coaches, his experiences in the army, and his D&D world.

To respond to the nature of how he plays, it is simply “Roll the die, attack this ogre,” similar to what someone else said.

I do agree. As I said, he generally doesn’t talk about his religion, sticking to topics that don’t provoke religious conversations. I originally found out about his religion of my own accord, since he had a pendant that I didn’t know what it was associated with. He briefly explained his beliefs more from explaining the ostracism he’s received than anything else.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Hahahah “THAT” guy indeed :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.