My uncle is a freemason

Here’s a quote from the DI QUELLA FEDE ENCYCLICAL OF POPE LEO XIII ON FREEMASONRY. vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_08121892_custodi-di-quella-fede_en.html

“15. Everyone should avoid familiarity or friendship with anyone suspected of belonging to masonry or to affiliated groups. Know them by their fruits and avoid them. Every familiarity should be avoided, not only with those impious libertines who openly promote the character of the sect, but also with those who hide under the mask of universal tolerance, respect for all religions, and the craving to reconcile the maxims of the Gospel with those of the revolution. These men seek to reconcile Christ and Belial, the Church of God and the state without God.”

Does this mean I have to avoid my uncle and not speak to him, see him, etc.?

I found out he was a mason last time I saw him, which was in July or August of 2013.

Leo was addressing the Italian people in the 19th Century. Different time and place. There is no need to avoid your uncle. You don’t seem to be very close to him anyway.

As someone who comes from a very devout Christian family where every male member was a Mason and every woman was in Eastern Star, I find that quote to be hateful, offensive, and downright inaccurate. However, I would have given anything to see the look on my grandfather’s face as someone told him that they couldn’t associate with him because he was trying to reconcile god and belial. I can’t imagine that would have played out very well.

No, there is no reason to cut ties.

Back when this was written, family ties were stronger and not speaking to someone would make them want to seek reconciliation.

Today, if you say one wrong thing, especially something disapproving (especially to a non- or anti-Christian), there is a good chance they will never speak to you again. Not a good thing when our goal is to bring everyone into heaven.

He lives in a different state, so I don’t get to see him often. I think I’m pretty close to him though.

Zenkai you judge people based on what ?
Their acts or what The Church tell you to do ?

Do you think Freemasonry is the devil and it’s what threaten you ?
Just look at the history of Islam, from the first day till now.
See who is persecuting Christians in middle east, see who is raping and force Christian girls to convert in Egypt while Muslim leaders say it’s ok because they are not MUSLIM.

Check why every Christian land allows Muslim to build mosques and to practice their religion, while in Arab countries they are not allowed to do anything.

So Freemasonry according to you is bad and evil and anti Christian and everything that The Vatican say with NO and I repeat NO evidence at all.

While with all the evidence of persecution of Christians The Vatican say that Islam is a peaceful religion and they have relations with them.

I am Catholic, I am a good Christian. I am not Freemason, I live in Syria.
Here we have war between The Gov. and Muslim Rebels.
We Christians have nothing to do with them, but we are being killed, raped, tortured, crucified, beheaded, immigrate, losing everything we got.

JUST BECAUSE WE ARE CHRISTIANS.

Think again about not talking to your uncle just because the church said so.

Best regards

I believe everything that Jesus’ Church teaches. The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ Himself and is guided by the Holy Spirit. The Catholic Church cannot teach error.

It is grave matter to disagree with Church teaching. And if you disagree with full knowledge and full consent, then it becomes a mortal sin.

Please reconsider your opinion.

How do we know what the expiration date on this advice is? At what year do we disregard it?

So basicaly Jesus teaching is to wear gold rins and hold gold cross and live in a palace surrounded by security forces with secrets that no christian have a clue about. And let christians arround the world die from persecution and hunger .

If this is what Jesus teaches then you are following the wrong Christ my friend.

Instead of wearing gold rings you can sell it and help out many homeless people. Don’t you agree ?

I am catholic to the death, i am not in anyway question my faith.
But the acts of the church has nothing to do with Jesus.

Regards

God is not against nice things. In the Old Testament, God instructed that the Tabernacle have gold and other nice things.

Also, are you aware of how many charitable acts the Church does?

I suggest that you talk to a priest about these things.

God is not against nice things if you work hard or get it.
Not if you want to follow him.
I don’t get why priests is now a job for people.
Every priest have the nicest car and house and wealth while he should be helping other.
I am not against wealth but not on the grave of others.

People donate to help others not to wear gold.

Regards

The Freemasons ARE evil and anti-Christian and their aim is the downfall of the Catholic Church. The Church teaches this and you, like all Catholics, are bound to believe this.
Any Catholic who is also a Freemason is committing a grave sin and may not receive Communion.

This does not mean, though, that we cannot talk to Freemasons. How can we bring sinners to conversion if we must avoid them.

I wouldn’t assume that all freemasons are active and intentional anti-Christians anymore than I would assume that all Christians are active and intentional disciples of Jesus. There are always plenty of people who go through the motions without thinking much about it.

Most look at it as a networking opportunity with a social service component. :shrug:

Not that we should disregard what the Church has said and all go join the masons. But I doubt you’ll find a bishop who will tell you to cut off all ties and no longer speak to people on account of them being masons.

90 percent of the time. I agree with the above.

Lots of times Masons are just “old men at the lodge”

Technically the same can be said for a lot of KofCers

But it is that 10 percent of Masons or danger that give me the hibbedy jeebies.

That 10 percent is why I think the Church’s warnings against this should be taken seriously.

Same thing with occult warnings…

Right. I have family members who were masons and I grew up going to their annual Christmas parties and summer picnics (I never knew there even was a Catholic position on the masons until I got to college). I never encountered any anti-Catholic or anti-Christian sentiments. Just a lot of blue collar guys shooting the breeze. But I’ve read articles and books about some of the stuff that is part of the higher ranks. “Hibbedy jeebies” is a good term to describe it. :slight_smile:

There is no evidence at all that freemasonry is evil.
In freemasonry there is many priests and christians.
You only follow what the church tells you to do. Don’t be blind.
In the past the church was killing people for not believing in christ
And the church lead wars around the world, that’s not the teaching of jesus.
You follow the bible other than that is Made by humans.
Give me one evidence that freemasonry is anti Christian.

Evidence not rumors.

The Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot teach error. The Church teaches that freemasonry is evil. The Holy Spirit does not lead people to error.

Please talk to a priest.

You follow the bible other than that is Made by humans.

“Bible alone” is a Protestant idea that was invented in the 1500s by Martin Luther (one of the Protestant “reformers”). “Bible alone” is false.

Both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition are equal.

Here’s paragraph 80 from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal.“40 Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own “always, to the close of the age”.41”

And please also read this from the Catechism as well. This link has paragraphs 74-100:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a2.htm

You MUST accept the Church teaching on this.

Let me pose some hypothetical questions.

Suppose some social group, unaffiliated with current Freemasonry, and indeed ignorant of anything like current Freemasonry, happened to call themselves “Freemasons”, but otherwise shared none of the characteristics of Freemasons. Suppose their choice of name was just an unfortunate coincidence. Then obviously the Church proscription on Freemasonry would not apply to this group, right?

That would imply that the Church’s teaching is based on something about Freemasons, not the mere name itself. So the next question, since individual chapters of Freemasons operate independently, suppose a local chapter of Freemasons decided to deviate from the official Freemason dogma, and did away with all the degrees and whatever else we believe leads them to evil. Suppose this local chapter wrote their own rules, which were not secretive, and avoided all the issues raised by Pope Leo in his encyclical on Freemasonry. At what point would the Church’s teaching not apply to this group? Are there are mechanisms in place to review particular judgements about changeable things, like named social institutions?

I am not saying that Freemasonry has changed to that extent yet, but keeping in mind that Pope Leo’s encyclical was written in 1884, it is not hard to imagine a social institution like Freemasonry changing into something different over that much time. How do we know that the Freemasonry of 2014 is enough like the Freemasonry of 1884 to warrant the same proscriptive treatment?

I’m not saying all individuals who are Freemasons are evil. Most are not and actually have been completely duped by the movement. Freemasonry, whether old or new is evil and will not change. We should not been trying to find loopholes for this movement but rather be giving our obedience to the Church whose teachings have the authority of Christ behind them. If you say the Church is wrong then you are saying Christ is wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.