My very sick sister has abandoned the Church

Please pray for my sister, Angela, who has been in hospital for the last two months due to degeneration of her spine from her chronic conditions of MS and MG, relating to large dose cortisone usage. She has a resentment for the Catholic faith going back about 25 years, as a result of a ‘near death’ experience she had during an operation, where she believes God was sending her to hell. She sees God as a harsh judge/punisher and thinks the Catholic Faith is about putting people on a guilt-trip.She has concocted a religious view of her own, that is mostly a sensless mixture of eastern mysticism and partial christianity. She is constantly insulting and angry at my brother and I, and slanders us with exaggerated and imagined grave personal faults and transgressions against her, to anyone who cares to listen. She now refuses to have anything to do with me, as I continue to correct her and insisted she value truth and charity.

:harp::hug1::grouphug:

I am so sorry, and know this is hard to bear! When people are ill and on medications, and added to that have a difficult history, they become bitter and disillusioned. My prayers are with you both, and all your family. Maybe you could just tell her that no matter what, you love her. God loves her, even in her present bitterness. I pray that somehow a miracle will occur to allow her to see this Divine Love. :angel1::signofcross::highprayer:
Love and prayers,
Kathryn Ann

Psalm 35

1 Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
2 Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
3 Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
4 Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.
5 Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.
7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.
8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares ; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall .
9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.
10 All my bones shall say , LORD, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
11 False witnesses did rise up ; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.
12 They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were sick , my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
14 I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily , as one that mourneth for his mother.
15 But in mine adversity they rejoiced , and gathered themselves together : yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:
16 With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.
17 Lord, how long wilt thou look on ? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
18 I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people. 19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
20 For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.
21 Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said , Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
22 This thou hast seen , O LORD: keep not silence : O Lord, be not far from me.
23 Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
24 Judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.
25 Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say , We have swallowed him up .
26 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
27 Let them shout for joy , and be glad , that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified , which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
28 And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

Praying for your sister and family.

Praying.

Dear God,
Please enlighten this woman to the True faith,
and help her have a speedy recovery.
May she find comfort in thy love,
and know the thou art a God of Mercy.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amounst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God. Pray for us sinners, now and ath the hour of our death.
Amen

God Bless & Salve Regina!

Lord, please convert the heart of Dee S’s sister and help her to grow in faith, hope and charity. May she love you, forgive her neighbors’ faults, and practice her Catholic faith again. Heal her and help her to know you and love you with all her heart. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is
the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I will remember your sister in my prayers this evening. May God be with her in her suffering and may she come back to the Lord and His Church soon.

Please be gentle in your judgment of your sister for in her pain she strikes out at those who challenge her. I pray that you are able to be seated at her side as she navigates this painful experience. If not in person, then in prayer. As is stated in the poem Footprints, He may be carrying her as she goes through this struggle. I pray that she will find that those who have not struggled may not see her pain, only her anger. I pray that she will find a way to acknowledge her pain and find a path to healing. For with the Lord, all things are possible.

I am so very thankful for all your prayers. I have read each one carefully and prayed them again with you.

I will send her a message telling of your prayers and that I love her unconditionally. She was very dependent on our mom, who passed away three years ago, and I think the depression and feeling of being lost has taken it’s toll.
I don’t wish to be judgmental of her, but find it painfully difficult to forced to agree (I give her lots of sympathy/try to change the subject) with her uncharitable allegations.

Will put all my confidence in God’s Mercy for her and us, His sometimes wayward children.

Peace be with you

Remember O Most Gracious Virgin Mary,
That never was it known, that anyone who fled to thy protection,
Emplored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence I fly to you O Virgin of Virgins my mother.
To thee I come before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition,
But in thy mercy, hear and answer me, Amen.

O Mary conceived without sin… Pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Praised be Jesus Christ, praised for evermore! Amen!

Hail Mary full of Grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

Praying for your sister …

Thank you for all your prayers. My sister’s health has improved dramatically over the last week. She can now sit up and is able to move her legs. She is receiving physio therapy and is willingly eating all the hospital food. The doctor says she can be discharged very soon when she feels strong enough to leave.

She would like to go to a very nice rehabilitation centre, to strengthen up and get more therapy so she can stand again. She is now on a waiting list.

She is not so against Christianity right now, but it is still early days, and we can only continue to pray for her.

Please offer a few prayers of thanksgiving and that she gets a place at this lovely centre soon. :thankyou:

Praying.

Am glad to read your sister is improving. I will continue to pray for your sister`s outlook. thank you for the update

The LORD bless you
and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace.” Num 6:24-26

Continued prayers.

In thanksgiving and for continued healing for Angela …

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.