My Vocation

Help me please.

I know I am supposed to serve God as a priest but I seem to keep messing that up.

I have had some great opportunities in my life to study with some great guys and some wonderful Religious Orders. I have no interest in pursuing the married life nor the single life. I know every Sunday I am called to be up at the alter but I can’t seem to figure out how.

What am I doing wrong? I have been with some great seminaries and I keep running away. I don’t even know how to ask the people at the seminary I really want to be with how to come back because I have ran from them so many times. What am I supposed to do? I hurt every Sunday because I am just sitting there knowing I can do more that sometimes, and I know this is satan pushing hard, but I skip Mass just because I am scared. But then as soon as possible I head right back to confession.

I just want to join a Religious Order and be done. But something at night scares me and I run. What am I supposed to do and how do I contact them about coming back and helping me stay??

what makes you feel scared about Religious Order?

Can you bring this up in Confession?

What is making you run? Are you afraid of joining the priesthood for some reason? This is something you’ll need to figure out and face before joining a religious order; otherwise, you’ll keep running away and it could end up being too late at some point.

Satan will do all that he can to stop anyone coming close to God, especially as one of His priests.

During Christ’s passion in the garden satan tried to tempt Him away from doing the will of God. Jesus even asked that if it were possible for “this cup” to be taken away from Him. But in the end it was His perfect offering of His live to God the Father to fulfill His will that won over.

“God has created me to do Him some definite service” Blessed John Henry Newman
God has also created us for happiness, always remember this.

Offer everything to God and He will give you everything you need to succeed.

“Do not be afraid to give yourself totally to Jesus. He will give you the grace you need to fulfill your vocation” Pope Benedict XVI.

You have my prayers.

You have my Prayers Brother!!

As Bl. John Paul would have said " DO NOT be afraid!!"

The phrase “Do not be afraid” appears in Sacred Scripture 366 times. One for each day of the year, plus leap year. Co-incidence? I don’t think so!!

Ask St. Jean VIanney and St. Padre Pio to help You pursue this vocation!!

Commend yourself to the Blessed Mother!!!

Maybe you are not called to an order, but to the secular priesthood?

Have you talked with the people in you diocese’s vocation office?
Do you have a spiritual director?

Have you thought about maybe seeing a mental health professional to help you to understand what your fears are and work on ways to manage them?

Priestly formation is just that FORMATION!
And just like anything worth having/doing, you must continue to “practice”, even when you don’t want to, and even if it is hard if you ever want see any benefits.

I highly recommend that you continue to pray & discern your call, but remember you do not have to go it alone. There are people who can help you, reach out to them.

Peace be with you on your journey! :slight_smile:

I have read through these over and over again. First, thank you for you for your replies.

Not one of you offered any discouragement. That surprised me a bit. Maybe because that was what I was hoping for. I do not know.

Just an update though. I have contacted the one religious order I would like to be a part of, hopefully they will answer me in the positive.

Thank you for your prayers. Nothing can help more than prayers.

Just want to add....

As soon as I bring up the fact that I do not want to be a diocesan priest in my diocese, every priest has stopped talking with me. Even both priests that help the guys that are in the seminary.

I get the feeling that they do not have the time to waste on me since my calling is not here in the diocese.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.