My Vocaton worry over a tatoo

As the title says, I feel a vocation towards being a monk but from my youth I have a tattoo on my upper arm and am concerned that If I follow my calling I might be refused because of tattoo. I hope that will not be the case.

God bless u all.:)

[quote="solemstar, post:1, topic:331425"]
As the title says, I feel a vocation towards being a monk but from my youth I have a tattoo on my upper arm and am concerned that If I follow my calling I might be refused because of tattoo. I hope that will not be the case.

[/quote]

I seriously doubt it.

And if you are worried phone the vocation director and ask him outright, and if need be have it removed.

Tatoos are easily removed today. It is done with a laser light ray, and feels only a little more intense than getting the tattoo in the first place.
Why not bite the bullet and get an appointment with a Dermatologist and have the tattoo removed. You can offer the discomfort (pain) of the operation to the Lord in expiation for whatever sins you have committed.

Thank you both and GBU!

[quote="solemstar, post:1, topic:331425"]

[/quote]

Lots of priests have tattoos, but if you are embarrassed about it, or if it would be scandalous, have it removed.

I'd have to agree with the others.

Two thoughts:

1. I know priests with various tattoos. They are what they are. I would imagine the only real concern would be something vulgar or blasphemous. (I have an American flag on one arm and a minuteman on the other- ;)

2. In light of the big questions- like whether you have a call, how you will discern it and what it may mean for your future, I'd say some ink on your arm is small potatoes! See the big picture, know what I mean?

May Our Lord bless you and guide you in your discernment!

As long it doesn’t cause scandal it should be no problem. I got one during summer break from seminary

As most people have said, a tattoo shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not likely to cause offence - especially if it's not normally visible.

Mention it to the monastery you're thinking of joining and do this before getting it removed - a process which somebody told me recently is both painful and expensive

If you are wearing a habit it would be covered up most of the time. Whether you choose to get it removed would depend on cost to get it done and what the tattoo is an image of would also carry weight I would think with your decision and the monastery's decison.

It's highly doubful they would say no. They would probably want you to take some tests like Myers Briggs to get a better understanding of you.

Don't let it sway your decision. Follow your heart.

Thank you everyone for you kind responses! God bless you all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.