My wife is so mean to me

I want to buy an ipod so i can download and listen to all the Catholic Answers shows that Jimmy Akin is on. But my wife says if we can’t afford the table lamp she’s been asking for, we can’t afford an ipod. I told her it’s for my spiritual welfare but she doesn’t listen. Can you believe she’s so mean. How can I convince her :wink:

[quote=gerryran]I want to buy an ipod so i can download and listen to all the Catholic Answers shows that Jimmy Akin is on. But my wife says if we can’t afford the table lamp she’s been asking for, we can’t afford an ipod. I told her it’s for my spiritual welfare but she doesn’t listen. Can you believe she’s so mean. How can I convince her :wink:
[/quote]

Couldn’t you just buy the table lamp for her first? :slight_smile:

[quote=deb1]Couldn’t you just buy the table lamp for her first? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I agree. How much can a table lamp cost?

PF

Hey gerry,
Join the crowd. :slight_smile:

My husband also wants an ipod. I told him no. He knows we cannot afford one. He has to wait until tax time. When you have a limited budget, and your living pay check to pay check, such as we are, things have to wait no matter how badly you want them. Your wife has a point.

I hate to go against a fellow Hoosier, but I have a feeling that your spiritual welfare isn’t dependent on an ipod.

However, a table lamp can be very illuminating :smiley:

[quote=gerryran]…Can you believe she’s so mean. How can I convince her :wink:
[/quote]

I’ll let you know as soon as I finish dialing 911 for the WAAAAAmbulance.

My husband wanted an IPOD for Christmas… he ended up with a Sansa SanDisk mp3 player. It is just as good for half the price. He downloaded tons of Akin, Kreeft, and several EWTN programs the first day he got it. It’s good stuff.

Then you can run to Target, or even Lowes, and get have a half price lamp for the price difference between the IPOD and SanDisk.

Now, you both get what you want and everybody is HAPPY!!!:smiley:

RyanL’s Wife

My take on this is since I purchased an IPOD, I have been listening to so many past shows on CA and EWTN. In addition to other podcasts and I believe I have become a better person for that. I dont listen to normal Toronto talk radio anymore as I am always listening to something spiritual. In my opinion I cannot afford to not have one and in fact I would sacrifice my morning Tim Hortons (Coffee) for one.

$1.25 X 240 working days = $300. Ipod = $300.
Simple

Oh and by the way, whats your wife doing running the family finances? I have been married 18 years going on 19. My wife has not touched the finances in 12 years and our marriage has gotten better every year since as a result. The first 6 were a struggle. Its not that she did a lousy job, she was great at it. It was just too much for her to have on her shoulders. Women have too much to worry about already these days without worrying about finances. I think men pass this onto their wives because they are too lazy to do it and then they complain because their wives are always sad. Since I took this away from her, she can focus on our children, me and of course her Catholic Faith.

I wanted one and my hubby said no. :rolleyes: sniff sniff.

Then for Christmas he got me a Rio Carbon, which was refurbished, which I didn’t mind becuase it save a lot of $. However, as luck would have it, the thing broke.

So, I decided I should scrap the idea altogether.

Go with the lamp!

How much does the table lamp cost?

Usually when I hear this argument it is because the husband likes to overspend on gadgets / toys. Do you have a tight budget? Are you trying to save for something in particular, something that you really need? Are you racking up credit cards? Do you argue about money? Does she try to be the fiscally responsible member of your house, in order to reign in your spending?

There must be a reason for her gripe about the ipod. If you are planning to put it on a credit card or spend money out of your budget which is not alloted for an ipod or if you are going to spend money you are saving for a much needed thing (car, house, other necessity)

Common’ fess up, are you the kinda guy who can’t stand not to splurge on whatever he wants when he wants it? My husband used to be like that but learned the hard way when I finally said "OK you do all the bills and banking and go grocery shopping with me and you can buy whatever you want with what is left over. " After a few years of struggling to make ends meet we are practically debt free. He had to see the reality of what his “Must have it now” mentality was affecting our budget! Live and learn, that’s what life is all about. Early in our marriage I handled the bills and budget because he is military and we needed one consistent person rather than passing the torch. All it did was make him less responsible and then he would tell me to just adjust the budget, taking it out of grocery money or other necessity, he would often make a purchase just before going on a long trip and leave me to pick up the pieces!

BTW Same thing goes if the wife is the irresponsible spender. She must face the reality!

Honestly, does your wife have a good reason to be anti- ipod?

If it* is* about responsible spending, I suggest you work together to make a list of your priorities of what need or would like to have and agree on the order in which you should purchase them. Then save the money for each thing, by fitting it into your budget, even if you can only squeek out a few dollars per month over a year. Avoid the temptation to use credit cards. Use them only in an emergency.

If this is not the case, consider the fact that she *may *be planning to buy you onw for a special occasion.

Hubby and I are on a very tight budget. What we find works for us is including ourselves in the budget. If there is enough money at the end of a paycheck we each get $20.

** We can do anything we want with this money and not be nagged about it. He saved up his and combined it with some gift money and bought an IPOD. He loves it!!! But I can tell you right now that if it had come out of the famly finances I would be pretty upset, lol.**

It has made such a difference. I know $20 isn’t much, but it is way better than the nothing we had before;) . It has helped us keep our sanity through financially difficult times.

Malia

You don’t need to buy an iPod or an mp3 player to play podcasts. You can download a podcast receiver [software] for your computer, for free, to listen to the podcasts.:):nerd:

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]Hubby and I are on a very tight budget. What we find works for us is including ourselves in the budget. If there is enough money at the end of a paycheck we each get $20.

We can do anything we want with this money and not be nagged about it. He saved up his and combined it with some gift money and bought an IPOD. He loves it!!! But I can tell you right now that if it had come out of the famly finances I would be pretty upset, lol.

It has made such a difference. I know $20 isn’t much, but it is way better than the nothing we had before;) . It has helped us keep our sanity through financially difficult times.

Malia
[/quote]

this is a very good idea!

You are kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding. And if you are not (as I suspect you are not), you ought to know that you can’t generalize to all women and all marriages based on your wife and your marriage. Some of us women are good mothers, good wives, strong Catholics, AND also do the investments, checkbooks, and prepare the taxes! That’s the way I like it and my husband likes it. And the way my parents did it and his parents did it. That’s more than 120 years of marriages that work!

Hmmm…I wonder what she would do if something were to happen to you tomorrow? Would she be able to handle it? I handle all of the finances in my home and we do really well. As a matter of fact, we do a lot better than when he was doing it. Of course, he knew this to be true and, like the great man that he is, asked me for help. And me, like the great woman that I am, offered to help. We have been doing great ever since. He is very happy and so am I!!! :thumbsup:

[quote=mastda]Oh and by the way, whats your wife doing running the family finances? I have been married 18 years going on 19. My wife has not touched the finances in 12 years and our marriage has gotten better every year since as a result.
[/quote]

I know that you probably meant your comment as a sensitive gesture towards your wife…“I realized she was struggling and I stepped in to help out and now our marriage is better”…but all marriages are different. What is important is communication and teamwork.

**In our home I must do the majority of the finances because hubby is military. I can’t imagine the extra stress I would go through by having to take over for him in an unfamiliar job every time he had to go out of town. This works for us and helps our marriage work.:smiley: **

Malia

[quote=Peace-bwu]this is a very good idea!
[/quote]

Thanks…it took us several years of feeling like we could never buy anything we wanted to figure out this system. Now if I want an expensive shampoo or some luxury item (like bubble bath) I can buy it guilt-free!!! Yay!!!

Malia

[quote=JMJ Theresa]I hate to go against a fellow Hoosier, but I have a feeling that your spiritual welfare isn’t dependent on an ipod.

However, a table lamp can be very illuminating :smiley:
[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote=gerryran] Can you believe she’s so mean. How can I convince her :wink:
[/quote]

Your first tactic should be guilt. "Honey, “iPod” and “love” both have four letters. That is not a coincidence.:bounce:

If that doesn’t work, well you should seek professional counseling. I mean we are men. We all have needs. And one of those needs is for iPods. :wink:

One thing to remember. You don’t stop with just the iPod. My wife bought me the 60GB iPod for my birthday in November. I then bought a car charger and FM transmitter to play on my car stereo. I’m not happy with the FM transmitter.

So I’m going to get a new car stereo (about $139) with an iPod adapter (about another $100) so I can hook up the iPod directly to the stereo.

Oh, and before that, you absolutely have to have a case to protect it. They scratch easily. So chalk up at least another $30 for that.

My wife really indulges me sometimes. Thankfully we saved a bit and could afford it. A lamp before an iPod? Bah! We know what’s really important. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.