My Wonderful Scotty - Roddy McDuff

I have a wonderful dog - Shaw’s Roddy McDuff, C.D., C.D.X.
He came into my life five years ago, during a very low period, when I was periously close to losing my hard-fought for sobriety and my faith was thin. He has been a true gift from my Higher Power, My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and with Roddy I have not only renwed my faith, I have kept my sobriety, stayed and grown closer to the Holy Mother Church and become more firmly rooted in my faith.

This last Tuesday Roddy was diagnosed with Lymphoma. It is not curable in canines. I could put him through a very expensive chemotherapy treatment but he would be horribly sicke from it and he would only have a 30% survival rate. I will NOT do that to my dog.

His biopsy, to confirm the diagnosis, was yesterday. We will be putting him on a treatment of steroids and cytoxin, which is a cancer drug, that will keep him comfortable until it is time for him to leave this earth.

I am, as most of you know, a sober alcoholic. I keep waiting for the selfish, self-centered alcoholic in me to rear her ugly head and start whining: why me? why does this always happen to me? Instead, while I am very, very sad I find myself overwhelmed with feelings of joy and gratitude because of the fabulous five years Roddy and I have had together. People told me Scottish Terriers could not compete in Obedience and I have received several blue ribbons with this little guys and he has two obedience titles.

I am sharing this only because I firmly believe that adding only one hour of Eucharistic Adoration to my life six weeks ago is why I am feeling gratitude instead of self pity. If you can squeeze it into your life, I really recommend it. This little dog has given me nothing by unconditional love for five years - and he may respond beautifully to the treatment and be around for another year. Only God knows. But it is has brought me firmly into one day at a time, and into acknowledging the miracle that Our Lord has worked in my life.

Leslie–

:blessyou: for all the advice and life experiences that you share with us.

Leslie,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful tribute to your Scotty. Being a show person (with Aussies, of the terrier type), I know how devoted they can be. My Irish grandmother once told me that whatever we needed to be happy in heaven, we would have it. I believe I will see my special four-legged friends.

I will pray for you. I live with a recovering alcoholic (4 years) and I know how tough it must be for you.

Love your little guy while he is with you and then, when you can, get another dog (maybe something other an a Scotty) to share your obedience skills with. I can think of no greater tribute to Roddy than that.

I tried to e-mail you privately with this message, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it. I hope I have not embarrased you with it.

May St. Francis pray for both you and your dear doggie. Peace and love for you both.

Kage

God bless you and your pet. Grief for a pet is a special kind of grief. “Pet” people understand, and others don’t. Pets aren’t forever, but love is. Thanks for sharing about your loving and loyal little dog.

Leslie,

Thank you for sharing this about your Scotty.

Brenda V.

What a wonderful post about such a faithful friend…Many hugs and prayers to both of you…

Whenever my pup is sick or hurt I make sure to include a prayer to St. Francis…He and I are old friends, and he has said many prayers for Daisy the Danger Dog (she’s more of a danger to herself than anyone else).

Love,
Jamie

[quote=mary bobo]Leslie,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful tribute to your Scotty. Being a show person (with Aussies, of the terrier type), I know how devoted they can be. My Irish grandmother once told me that whatever we needed to be happy in heaven, we would have it. I believe I will see my special four-legged friends.

I will pray for you. I live with a recovering alcoholic (4 years) and I know how tough it must be for you.

Love your little guy while he is with you and then, when you can, get another dog (maybe something other an a Scotty) to share your obedience skills with. I can think of no greater tribute to Roddy than that.

I tried to e-mail you privately with this message, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it. I hope I have not embarrased you with it.
[/quote]

You did not embarrass me at all…I just didn’t know there were dogs other than SCOTTIES!!! And thank you so much…

[quote=auroraj42]What a wonderful post about such a faithful friend…Many hugs and prayers to both of you…

Whenever my pup is sick or hurt I make sure to include a prayer to St. Francis…He and I are old friends, and he has said many prayers for Daisy the Danger Dog (she’s more of a danger to herself than anyone else).

Love,
Jamie
[/quote]

Oh I love that - Daisy the Danger Dog…:rotfl: thank you thank you thank you…

And I really mean it, guys , about the one hour of Adoration…I cannot believe the ‘aura of protection’ I’m feeling. This morning Roddy raced downstairs, ate the cat’s food and begged for cheese. He tires easily and has the stitches in from the biopsy but otherwise you would never know it…he is only five! But I have vowed to fight this without puttin him under any undue pain - one of my sponsees is a vet and she is doing some research on homeopathic stuff so who knows, Roddy may be with me for 2 months, or maybe a year. At any rate, he is such a gift from Jesus and the Angels (as are all of YOU). Thank you

UPDATE:

Roddy’s biopsy comes back today or tomorrow but we have started him on his prednisone. I am also starting him on a prescription Dog Food - Hill’s D/N for dog’s on chemo. Even though he is on cytoxen only and not full blown chemo, the vet thought he would benefit from being on a ‘supportive’ food.

I am also buying him Noni Juice - does anyone have any experience with using Noni juice to help boost and support immune systems?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.