My young son said some interesting things today

My adopted son (turned 3 in December, adopted at 9 months) said some very interesting things today to his mother and I. We were speaking of the fish fry at the parish tomorrow, and that I would need to bring a change of clothes to work so I could get off and fly right there. During the process, my son blurts out "I see Jesus!" We asked him what he meant, and he explained, as best he could, that he speaks to Jesus.

Now, admittedly, being in the medical field for so long I became both worried and blew it off. I checked for signs of altered mental status, to rule out anything that could cause coherent hallucinations. What can I say? It's all those years of 911.

After talking to him more in depth, he told us that Jesus told him that when he dies (we've never had the discussion of death with him before), he'll go to heaven, where he'll see "God and Jesus and Mary and Joseph and baby angels and big angels and Pawpaw's daddy!"

I'm not quite sure how to take all this. He describes "God" (not sure if it's God the Father or what) as an older man with short brown hair, a beard "like daddy" and really nice. I don't know what to make of it all. My wife further explains that she's believed Lane to have a "connection" or to be more in tune with things that aren't easily seen. She believes this to also be the reason he's suffered from night terrors since he was an infant.

Anyone have an idea on this situation?

What would I do in this situation? Hmm. I'd be cautious, not make this public knowledge, but watch and see. I'd go to my priest (or a good priest) and ask for guidance. I'd spend some time talking to my son about this, but also about God and Catholicism in general. I would definitely pray for protection for my son and my family, because there's a teeny possibility that these are real visions that are not from God (though I doubt it), and also because a person who receives such gifts would probably be a target for diabolical persecution.

I don't know how God works in regard to personal revelation, but I do strongly believe it happens, and I kind of think it happens more often than we would expect. It makes sense to me that God or Jesus would appear to an innocent.

[quote="dsmantz, post:1, topic:232946"]

After talking to him more in depth, he told us that Jesus told him that when he dies (we've never had the discussion of death with him before), he'll go to heaven, where he'll see "God and Jesus and Mary and Joseph and baby angels and big angels and Pawpaw's daddy!"

[/quote]

Are you sure he didn't simply hear something like this from neighbors, or other kids, or in passing somewhere in the foyer of church or in the fellowship hall? Honestly, that's what it sounds like to me, not like something to worry about.

[quote="dsmantz, post:1, topic:232946"]
My adopted son (turned 3 in December, adopted at 9 months) said some very interesting things today to his mother and I. We were speaking of the fish fry at the parish tomorrow, and that I would need to bring a change of clothes to work so I could get off and fly right there. During the process, my son blurts out "I see Jesus!" We asked him what he meant, and he explained, as best he could, that he speaks to Jesus.

Now, admittedly, being in the medical field for so long I became both worried and blew it off. I checked for signs of altered mental status, to rule out anything that could cause coherent hallucinations. What can I say? It's all those years of 911.

I'm not quite sure how to take all this. He describes "God" (not sure if it's God the Father or what) as an older man with short brown hair, a beard "like daddy" and really nice. I don't know what to make of it all. My wife further explains that she's believed Lane to have a "connection" or to be more in tune with things that aren't easily seen. She believes this to also be the reason he's suffered from night terrors since he was an infant.

Anyone have an idea on this situation?

[/quote]

My first thought?
Intentionally or not, your wife is encouraging your son's fantasy life.
That's a very dangerous thing to do in this kind of situtaion.

You might want to speak to your son SOON about "pretend" 'cuz it's fun -
and "real" 'cuz it's important to know the difference. Make sure your wife is there!

PS - seriously LIMIT his TV viewing.

My 3 yr old has a difficult time understanding the concept that Jesus is with us, as he will start looking all around saying "where???" and he wants to see God in the sky. Our children understand and listen to more than we know. If your son has night terrors, I imagine he has an active imagination and he is better able to appreciate the concept of talking with Jesus. My son goes to a Christian preschool, and he comes home speaking of things he learned in school. Is there anywhere your son is being exposed to religion on this level? Do you speak of it and not even think about what it is and how he might be thinking about it? We forget that these little people takes things so literally!!

Are there relatives that might be talking to him about Jesus? Its natural and easy to do for a grandma/grandpa etc. Do you have any religious cartoons he watches?

I think its super neat he told you this but I wouldn't freak out that he really is conversing that way. He is just innocent and unashamed to speak in that manner (I'm guessing). Good luck and talk to him more, explore it, ask him questions, and really listen to what he says. I bet its very fascinating :)

youtube.com/watch?v=FnOcvqMCrhs

My advise is to bless your son with holy water at night before he goes to sleep and tell him he will have happy dreams. I think your son was born with a six sense which means he is able to see and hear what other people can't. When he gets older he needs to be told not to tell people what he sees or hears. He may lose that ability or just kept dormant.

When my grandson was a child of 5yrs.old he could see his diseased father who died before he was born. He would tell his mom about things he could hear from his diseased father. After a few more years he stopped seeing him or hearing him.

Some people say that when they were kids they could see their diseased relatives and as they grew up that ability was gone.

No, it is not the work of the devil or halucinations. It is just an ability that he was born with.
It may disappear for good one of these days as he gets older.

My opinion is not to worry. Either way, imaginary or real, it is not a problem. Listen to the boy and make sure that he is not being told heresies or blasphemous things.

Allow me to elaborate a bit.

My wife, I honestly doubt she's influencing in a negative way. Same with other relatives. She's a devout believer, and is more worried than I with the whole situation. Very rarely does she try and speak with him about Christianity because he simply shouldn't be able to even grasp the concept yet.

To imply that we need to seriously limit his television time is to take the position that he watches television in the first place ;) We have a television, and it's used only for family movie nights, or as a giant boom box...

And the last point. "Pawpaw's daddy" recently passed. I'd never met him, nor had very many from our family. My father in law left home at 15 due to his father's actions, and they recently started repairing their relationship when he passed. From my understanding that while he was a Protestant, he had COMPLETELY reformed his life and was living one that most should strive for. Why my son would mention that he would see "Pawpaw's daddy" when he was to reach heaven when never knowing about the situation is a complete mystery to me.

Anyway, just filling in.

[quote="dsmantz, post:9, topic:232946"]
Allow me to elaborate a bit.

My wife, I honestly doubt she's influencing in a negative way. Same with other relatives. She's a devout believer, and is more worried than I with the whole situation. Very rarely does she try and speak with him about Christianity because he simply shouldn't be able to even grasp the concept yet.

Repeating you to you:
"My wife further explains that she's believed Lane to have a "connection" or to be more in tune with things that aren't easily seen. She believes this to also be the reason he's suffered from night terrors since he was an infant."

To imply that we need to seriously limit his television time is to take the position that he watches television in the first place ;) We have a television, and it's used only for family movie nights, or as a giant boom box...

Including at relatives' homes, neighbors' homes. etc..

And the last point. "Pawpaw's daddy" recently passed. I'd never met him, nor had very many from our family. My father in law left home at 15 due to his father's actions, and they recently started repairing their relationship when he passed. From my understanding that while he was a Protestant, he had COMPLETELY reformed his life and was living one that most should strive for. Why my son would mention that he would see "Pawpaw's daddy" when he was to reach heaven when never knowing about the situation is a complete mystery to me.

Anyway, just filling in.

[/quote]

Very rarely does she try and speak with him about Christianity because he simply shouldn't be able to even grasp the concept yet.

[/quote]

Why would you think that? I child is taught right from wrong from the time they are cognizant. As a Christian, it is our duty to root his morality on a Christian foundation. Therefore, a child of 3 should have been exposed to Christian concepts if being raised in a Christian household... and that includes who God/Jesus Christ is.

[/quote]

2 possibilities:

1.) He received a visitation from "Pawpaw's daddy". This happens and is a fairly common occurence. Nothing to worry about.

2.) He heard somebody mention "Pawpaw's daddy" in passing. Children can retain a wide variety of information by keen observation. A lot of times, adults don't realize their children are listening and are surprised later on to hear their child repeat verbatim a thoughtless passing comment... for example, my friend's 4-year-old son was at our party when he heard me talking about this woman. He immediately said, "I know X! She's mommy's friend who is a (w)itch." Everybody in the conversation was shocked including his mother. After a long analysis of how he came up with this and coming up with nothing, his grandmother joined the conversation and reminded her daughter about their phone conversation while she was driving and how she called this woman on the radio also named X a (w)itch.

Still nothing to worry about in your child's case.

About him seeing God... also nothing to worry about at this point. Just put this "on notice" on the back of your mind and observe as the child grows up to see if this is a product of an over-active imagination or spirituality. In either case, It should get tempered as he matures - if it doesn't, then that's when you might have to step in to discern the truth of the matter.

Hope this helps.

Oh...;please people!:rolleyes:

What is wrong with his thoughts? He's 3 years old, they don't undesterand and will fill things in the best they can to make sense to them.

For instance:

My daughter who is three told me once that "someday when I get old, Jesus will come down from heaven in his plane and get me".

My daughter had a major surgery @9 months (basically cranial reconstruction) and one day (when she was 2 1/2) told me that "When I was a little baby, Jesus was holding me".

Now we never talked about Jesus being there with her, she was just 9 months old at the time and the subject of her surgery doesn't really come up much. This was pretty much her own thought. The first one going to heaven probaby came from when our cat died and we told her he went up to heavan. At the time she didn't really understand and asked "where is heavan?". The best answer we had (perhaps not the best one) was that heavan was up in the sky where God and Jesus were. So she thought it out and must have figured that the best way to get up in the sky with God was in a plane and that's how Jesus must do it. :D

Personally, if at this age they have any understanding (even a flawed understanding) that's outstanding. You should be proud that your boy may actually be thinking and at least partially forming his own thoughts about Jesus. Believe it or not, at this age they are capable of extrapolating information into their own thoughts. Sure, they might be influenced by what they here but some of it is their own thought as well.

I really see nothing wrong with what he did. He did what three year olds do: They try to make sense of things they don't understand. Sometimes a little bit of imagination gets in there but I think that it's what three year olds do to make sense of so much that they don't know. Heck, we as adults really don't undestand God very well, imagine how confused a 3 year old would be.

My thought is that until the parent's duty is to look out for the child, so I would strongly discourage these fantastical interactions if they have become a habit.

Mainly because:
1) God wants us to look out for our children's best interests,
2) It's much more likely that these fantastical interactions are not miraculous,
3) If they are not miraculous, it's best that the child learns about interaction with God through prayer (at this age, simple prayers at bedtime, meal prayers, etc.), and
4) If they actually turn out to be miraculous, God's will not be hindered by our honest attempts to protect the child, nor will He be angry at us for looking out for our children.

[quote="Havard, post:13, topic:232946"]
My thought is that until the parent's duty is to look out for the child, so I would strongly discourage these fantastical interactions if they have become a habit.

Mainly because:
1) God wants us to look out for our children's best interests,
2) It's much more likely that these fantastical interactions are not miraculous,
3) If they are not miraculous, it's best that the child learns about interaction with God through prayer (at this age, simple prayers at bedtime, meal prayers, etc.), and
4) If they actually turn out to be miraculous, God's will not be hindered by our honest attempts to protect the child, nor will He be angry at us for looking out for our children.

[/quote]

Completely agree.

[quote="LaLucia, post:7, topic:232946"]
My advise is to bless your son with holy water at night before he goes to sleep and tell him he will have happy dreams. I think your son was born with a six sense which means he is able to see and hear what other people can't. ** **I can think of nothing in Catholic teaching that supports this idea. Nothing.When he gets older he needs to be told not to tell people what he sees or hears. He may lose that ability or just kept dormant.

When my grandson was a child of 5yrs.old he could see his diseased father who died before he was born. He would tell his mom about things he could hear from his diseased father. After a few more years he stopped seeing him or hearing him.

Some people say that when they were kids they could see their diseased relatives and as they grew up that ability was gone.

No, it is not the work of the devil or halucinations. It is just an ability that he was born with.
It may disappear for good one of these days as he gets older.

[/quote]

I'm really surprised that no one has considered that maybe it just is what it is. Baptized children are so close to God with their pure hearts and souls. Why is it so difficult to believe that children would be more aware and closer to God?

Think of all the great apparitions - many of them were to children. Not to 3 year olds, I know that, but children.

Just let it be. Don't encourage it, don't discourage it, just let the child be a child for goodness sake!! Soon enough he will put aside childish things, and THAT is when the real concern should begin.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:16, topic:232946"]
I'm really surprised that no one has considered that maybe it just is what it is. Baptized children are so close to God with their pure hearts and souls. Why is it so difficult to believe that children would be more aware and closer to God?
~Liza

[/quote]

"Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God."
~~ Matthew 5:8

Think of all the great apparitions - many of them were to children. Not to 3 year olds, I know that, but children.

Just let it be. Don't encourage it, don't discourage it, just let the child be a child for goodness sake!! Soon enough he will put aside childish things, and THAT is when the real concern should begin.

~Liza

[/quote]

Great advice. Children learn reality over the course of time.
Why dig in and make something of nothing?
Children have a different and refreshing perspective.

Making it "special" is truly out there. Forget that.

I'm really surprised that no one has considered that maybe it just is what it is.

[/quote]

You must have skimmed my post, I considered that, I just stated that I believe it's less likely. :thumbsup:

I remember Jesus saying that we could do what he could do. That means that Jesus could see things and know things before they happened. There have been many people in our world who have a sixth sense like Jesus. Some of us are born with stronger abilities.

I know for a fact that some of you have a strong ability of your sixth sense. The Bible doesn't talk about the "sixth sense" that term was not used in those days. But I can see over and over how some people have that ability. In the time of Jesus people had Angels speaking to them. Some people also knew when it was time for them to move to a better place because they had the sixth sense to leave before a disaster happened. That still happens today.
There have been so many miracles in our life-time... that is proof that Jesus is right about the fact that we can do what he could do. Jesus is always with me and always will be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.