Mystery Missile: Launch of Unknown Missile Caught on Tape in California

abcnews.go.com/Politics/mystery-missile-launched-missile-off-california-coast/story?id=12097155&nwltr=politics_featureMore

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/abc_missile_101109_mn.jpg

Military officials are still unclear as to what caused the “mystery missile” contrail spotted off the Southern California coast last night, but the most likely theory appears to be that an airplane was responsible.

Some experts believe the “mystery missile” is an optical illusion involving atmospherics and the contrails of a plane flying off in the distance.
Military officials have spent all day trying to determine who or what may have been responsible for what seemed like a mysterious missile launch caught on tape Monday night by a news helicopter off the Southern California coast.

Sooooooo whatcha think? :slight_smile:

Nobody knows. Typical for the media lately. Anybody know about health care, gas prices, businesses hiring? Nope, it’s a mystery.

In other news, Wall Street launched a mystery Complex Financial Instrument.

Sheesh,
Ed

:clapping::clapping:

[quote="edwest2, post:2, topic:219055"]
In other news, Wall Street launched a mystery Complex Financial Instrument.

[/quote]

FOCL! :thumbsup: "CFI"...and can that by any chance be, mmmnnn, examined by CSI? :D

Spent many, many years watching the launches and their contrails when I was growing up in Long Beach, California. None of them were ever straight like this one is. This doesn't look remotely like the tell-tale pattern of the missle contrails.

I believe it to be a jet contrail looking mighty pretty in the sunset.

With due respect, it looks exactly like a missile contrail.

God bless,
Ed

In the clip that HLN was playing this morning, it was curving slightly, and there was a flame at the head of the contrail, just as there would be if it were a rocket. Hmm. SLBM? Are the Russians trying to impress us? Or are we trying to impress someone in Asia?

DaveBj

The groundwork is being laid for the next Cold War. Hint: It's China.

God bless,
Ed

Those defense contractors gotta build stuff and they've got kids they need to put through college.

Dress rehearsal for EMP launch?

We know that the 9/11 attacks were preceeded by several dress rehearsals.

And the same thing applies to various bombing attacks; the Israeli’s have commented on this issue of dry runs and dress rehearsals on numerous occasions.

We need to discuss how Iran and North Korea could easily undo the United States … the idea of a massive ICBM strike or Bear bomber strike is no longer necessary.

A simple low yield nuke detonated 100 miles up would fry every electronic and electrical device out to the visual horizon.

You don’t need an ICBM.

Just launch a short range missile from a submarine or from the deck of a tubby ship and send it straight up and detonate it off shore at 100 miles up.

The U.S. would instantly be thrust back to about 1870. Unless we could get our food processed and delivered by non-electrical means, the population would starve to death in a week. No drinking water because no pumps. No food in the stores because the processing plants would have had all their power shut down and all their electric motors in the processing equipment burned out and all their process controls and computers would be totally fried.

Iran has tested ship deck missile launches already.

North Korea had some nuke tests which they said fizzled, but which may have simply been a low-yield nuke designed specifically for an EMP burst.

Google it up EMP and also check out Amazon.

This is a big deal.

It's not a big deal. Protection from EMP attacks is coming online.

Sadly, I'm certain Norh Korea and other "rogue" nations have already gotten this call:

"Hello? North Korea? Listen, this the United States. If you launch anything, and I mean anything, that I think is a credible threat, we will take out your capital city and every military target in your country. Got that? Good. Have a nice day."

The military has contingency plans for their contingency plans.

We have global satellite coverage.
Stealth bombers.
Bomber fleets.
Sub laubched cruise missiles.
Ship launched cruise missiles.
Air launched cruise missiles.
And there's this little agency that does nothing but intercept communications all day from everywhere.

Other countries have a few to none of the above.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:9, topic:219055"]
Dress rehearsal for EMP launch?

We know that the 9/11 attacks were preceeded by several dress rehearsals.

And the same thing applies to various bombing attacks; the Israeli's have commented on this issue of dry runs and dress rehearsals on numerous occasions.

We need to discuss how Iran and North Korea could easily undo the United States ... the idea of a massive ICBM strike or Bear bomber strike is no longer necessary.

A simple low yield nuke detonated 100 miles up would fry every electronic and electrical device out to the visual horizon.

You don't need an ICBM.

Just launch a short range missile from a submarine or from the deck of a tubby ship and send it straight up and detonate it off shore at 100 miles up.

The U.S. would instantly be thrust back to about 1870. Unless we could get our food processed and delivered by non-electrical means, the population would starve to death in a week. No drinking water because no pumps. No food in the stores because the processing plants would have had all their power shut down and all their electric motors in the processing equipment burned out and all their process controls and computers would be totally fried.

Iran has tested ship deck missile launches already.

North Korea had some nuke tests which they said fizzled, but which may have simply been a low-yield nuke designed specifically for an EMP burst.

Google it up EMP and also check out Amazon.

This is a big deal.

[/quote]

Not really a good move on N.Korea's point. Even if they succesfully carry out the attack you describe above as Ed points out the US has numerous subs/aircraft carriers/bases etc. outside the actual United States. Even if you disabled the US in this manner it would still possess enough striking power to do great damage to N. Korea.

Even though we've seen lunatic leaders in the past, one reason the Soviet Union kept their ICBMs back was that they knew we'd wipe them out, no matter what. It was called Mutually Assured Destruction.

I'm not trying to downplay the threat but during the Cold War, they had already come up with ways to "harden" satellites in space from the EMP of a warhead detonating above the atmosphere. It's reasonable to assume similar hardening has been done at key ground based sites.

Peace,
Ed

Very reasonable considering the US’s technological capabilities and that no other nation on Earth spends anything remotely near it on defence. The latest figures on the numbers of US navy ships and personnel I could find stationd outside the US reference 99 ships and 33,000 plus sailors. That’s a force only slightly smaller the whole UK navy. N. Korea is a nasty regime I’d be the first to agree but not suicidal. In the scenario presented above it’s not likely allies of the US such as the UK would not offer their support and even many countries which do not love the US would be concerned enough by such events to counter N.Korea.

If Iran did the launch(es) at night from a surface ship, no one would even know about it. Until everything electrical or electronic went dead.

We would not know who did it. [We might be able to guess at it.]

Almost nothing in the USA is hardened against electromagnetic pulse, which is why when there is a solar max, satellites die and power grids go dark.

Look it up.

Congress is very worried about it and have had hearings and issued reports.

I suggest you pick up a copy of The E-Bomb by Doug Beason.

In the meantime, with Afghanistan winding down, defense contractors will be looking for new places to drop precision guided munitions. I am sure Iran is being watched like a hawk and if anything bigger than a rowboat hits the water, we’ll have our 24/7, cloud penetrating, nightvision eyes on it.

The Israelis also have ground-based lasers.

peace,
Ed

[quote="edwest2, post:15, topic:219055"]
I suggest you pick up a copy of The E-Bomb by Doug Beason.

In the meantime, with Afghanistan winding down, defense contractors will be looking for new places to drop precision guided munitions. I am sure Iran is being watched like a hawk and if anything bigger than a rowboat hits the water, we'll have our 24/7, cloud penetrating, nightvision eyes on it.

The Israelis also have ground-based lasers.

peace,
Ed

[/quote]

Beason's book is irrelevant: essentially from 1980 about directed energy weapons. Obsolete and also does not discuss any aspects of the issue of an ElectroMagnetic Pulse from a nuclear weapon in space.

Here is what one of the reviewers had to say.

Not too bad a book, but definitely an introductory text. It also has some curious gaps. For instance, it entirely omits Raytheon's VIGILANT EAGLE system for airport defense. It makes very little mention of contributions to DEW from the EW community. Other Active Denial System (ADS) it omits all energy-based non-lethal weapons. Finally, it makes very little mention of HPM-based EM threats. I expected it to at least survey the threats of EMP.

If you really want to learn about this subject, start with this book, and move on to your public library. Read the first few chapters of Jane's All The Worlds Fighting Ships and Jane's All The Worlds Fighting Aircraft for weapons systems principles. From there, move on to periodicals and read through the last fifteen years or so of Aviation Week's articles on EW/EMP/HPM. Finally, read the Executive Summary of the report by the EMP threat commission.

The key thing is to read the report by the EMP threat commission.

Yeah, well, I'm confident of two things:

1) They are aware of the threat.
2) They are doing something about it.

If they are stupid enough to not be doing something about it, no point in complaining here.

I know the background for the book by Beason so don't call it irrelevent. Most young people can't find Africa on a world map, much less know a fraction of what's in Beason's book. The groundwork was laid in the 1980s and better systems have come online since then. Trust me, I'm following the latest developments. They have this covered.

Peace,
Ed

I've got a stack of Aviation Week just a few feet away.

scribd.com/doc/11562771/Electromagnetic-Pulse-Attack-A2473-EMP-Commission

govexec.com/dailyfed/0808/081908kp1.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.