Myths about becoming a Priest

I believe so many men miss the call because the phone was off the hook. They are too busy with the world and guessing what they might miss out on.
There is nothing on this earth today greater than being a Catholic priest! You get free room and board for life. You have complete job security. You get to bring souls to God. You get to say mass at least once a day. You get to comfort the afflicted. Your hands are consecrated by God himself. You can change bread and wine into The Flesh and Blood of Jesus. You can forgive sins. The only drawback is now you have accountability for the souls God has entrusted you with, and obedience has a whole new meaning.
You must also preach the Gospel! This is the most difficult one to follow because people today do not want to be preached to. Most Catholics are know-it-all's, sort of speak.
The greatest joy of being a priest today is the fact that there is a shortage. Which means you have more opportunities to imitate Christ and the Saints. You get to travel further to many locations to say mass. There are few priest in Hospitals, so you have a greater chance of being called all night long. There are more complainers today in a parish so you get to bring them to Christ, and teach them the Gospels. The myth is that being a priest is work. It would be like a professional golfer saying they work for their millions. The Joy of being a priest and serving God, far out weighs the job.

One possible myth is "low sex drive" or "weak" attraction to women. This does not diminish that there are many great priests.

So have you made the call to your vocations department yet? :)

[quote="chiroworks, post:1, topic:285363"]
I believe so many men miss the call because the phone was off the hook. They are too busy with the world and guessing what they might miss out on.
There is nothing on this earth today greater than being a Catholic priest! You get free room and board for life. You have complete job security. You get to bring souls to God. You get to say mass at least once a day. You get to comfort the afflicted. Your hands are consecrated by God himself. You can change bread and wine into The Flesh and Blood of Jesus. You can forgive sins. The only drawback is now you have accountability for the souls God has entrusted you with, and obedience has a whole new meaning.
You must also preach the Gospel! This is the most difficult one to follow because people today do not want to be preached to. Most Catholics are know-it-all's, sort of speak.
The greatest joy of being a priest today is the fact that there is a shortage. Which means you have more opportunities to imitate Christ and the Saints. You get to travel further to many locations to say mass. There are few priest in Hospitals, so you have a greater chance of being called all night long. There are more complainers today in a parish so you get to bring them to Christ, and teach them the Gospels. The myth is that being a priest is work. It would be like a professional golfer saying they work for their millions. The Joy of being a priest and serving God, far out weighs the job.

[/quote]

Another perk, based on the many priests I know, is that you get invited out to the best restaurants, go to ball games and travel all over the world for free. If you golf you usually get to play for free at great courses when invited by parishioners. As I said that is based on the priests I know and could be that happens just in our corner of the world.

Yes I have. I did not pick God's will I chose my own. The myth is that the complaints I have received from parish priest are the very reason they were suppose to embrace the vocation. Most people look at the joys of marriage as the good times with family, and the joys of children. Truly I tell you the joys of the sacrament are the struggles in the relationship, and the stress of bringing up your children with virtues in this world. Your crosses in your vocation are the greatest of Joys to the vocation. Jesus embraced his Cross with a Love and Joy you will never fully appreciate until (if) you enter Heaven. The greatest Joy Jesus had on earth was his sufferings, his crosses and his Cross. I am not judging any person in any vocation. I am trying to bring Light to what vocations are all about. CROSSES, and lots of them. More the better.

[quote="chiroworks, post:5, topic:285363"]
Yes I have. I did not pick God's will I chose my own. The myth is that the complaints I have received from parish priest are the very reason they were suppose to embrace the vocation. Most people look at the joys of marriage as the good times with family, and the joys of children. Truly I tell you the joys of the sacrament are the struggles in the relationship, and the stress of bringing up your children with virtues in this world. Your crosses in your vocation are the greatest of Joys to the vocation. Jesus embraced his Cross with a Love and Joy you will never fully appreciate until (if) you enter Heaven. The greatest Joy Jesus had on earth was his sufferings, his crosses and his Cross. I am not judging any person in any vocation. I am trying to bring Light to what vocations are all about. CROSSES, and lots of them. More the better.

[/quote]

I do agree.

You don't have to take the reigns of a parish either, you can do religious order priests too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.