N.C. Republican activist resigns after Voter ID remarks

I do not take cases such as the son of Representative Jim Moran, Patrick Moran, advising on what to do to commit voter fraud, or the former chief of staff of Rep Joe Garcia, Jerry Garcia, who is going to prison for a ballot scheme to make statements about all Democrats wanting to commit voter fraud.

60% of Democrats, according to a poll by Washington post support Voter ID, so support for voter ID is not isolated to Republicans.

washingtonpost.com/politics/polling/election-united-states-day/2012/08/13/35de0f48-e4d6-11e1-9739-eef99c5fb285_page.html

Reports of voter fraud have been noted by liberals and conservatives, it’s existence is not myth. Liberal Justice John Stevens noted in the opinion on the voter ID law in Indiana, which was upheld

It remains true, however, that flagrant examples of such fraud in other parts of the country have been documented throughout this Nation’s history by respected historians and journalists,11 that occasional examples have surfaced in recent years, 12 and that Indiana’s own experience with fraudulent voting in the 2003 Democratic primary for East Chicago Mayor 13—though perpetrated using absentee ballots and not in-person fraud—demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election.

law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-21.ZO.html

Study by the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and University of Delaware analyzed data from 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006 elections. At both individual and aggregate levels, they found that voter ID laws do not affect turnout across ethnic / racial or socio-economic lines. Study said, ‘concerns about voter identification laws affecting turnout are much ado about nothing’

journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=3260864

Jeffrey Milyo, professor of economics and public affairs at the University of Missouri and the Hanna Family Scholar in the Center for Applied Economics at the University of Kansas, notes that overall voter turnout in Indiana actually increased after the implementation of photo ID. His study evaluated the effects of photo identification requirements by comparing county-level turnout in Indiana in the 2002 and 2006 mid-term elections, since the current ID law was not in place in ‘02.

“Previous studies have examined the effects of voter ID laws more generally, but none of these separately analyzes the effects of so called ‘mandatory photo ID’ on turnout in Indiana,” Milyo said. “I examined a variety of models on voter turnout. After controlling for several factors that influence county-wide turnout, there is no consistent or statistically significant evidence that the photo ID law depressed turnout in counties with greater percentages of minority, poor or elderly voters. Contrary to conventional wisdom, turnout in Democratic-leaning counties actually increased in the wake of the new photo ID requirements, all else constant.”

munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2008/0102-voter-id.php

American University did a survey of registered voters in Indiana, Maryland, and Mississippi looked at whether registered voters had photo IDs and found less than 0.5 percent of respondents had neither a citizenship documentation or photo ID concluded, ‘showing a photo ID as a requirement of voting does not appear to be a serious problem in any of the states’ because ‘[a]lmost all registered voters have an acceptable form of photo ID’

]http://www.american.edu/spa/cdem/upload/VoterIDFinalReport1-9-08.pdf

Showing hateful and racist tendencies didn’t stop the Democrats from winning the White House twice in addition to controlling the Senate. I think you overstate the impact being bigoted and misogynistic has in politics.

These kinds of naive prognostications get made all the time. I assume this is your first election coming up? If so, be assured people have been saying this sort of thing about hope for the future for decades and decades.

Now worries though; as you experience more and more elections, you’ll learn more about their history.

Source?

I live in NC. The law says you have to have a picture ID to vote. Democrats are allowed to have picture ID’s in North Carolina. The early voting time has been shortened, but not just for Democrats. The early voting window is as short for Republicans as it is for Democrats. You can no longer register and vote on the same day, but again, this rule applies to Republicans and Democrats.
I’m still miffed at how rules that apply to everyone somehow favors someone. I want everyone who is eligible to vote have the opportunity to vote. I do not want people who are not eligible to vote to have that opportunity.

The guy has been in trouble before for saying things that do not reflect the Republican Party in the Asheville area. As my dad used to say, the empty barrel makes the most noise. :shrug:

Jon

=Avdima;11338641]:thumbsup:

The Republicans would try hard to convince you otherwise but the reason they put these laws in place is to keep the “undesirables” from voting. It was a GOP & tea-party reaction to the election of a “undesirable” to the White House.

The only thing undesirable about the current president is he is an extreme leftist who does not support the constitution, in my opinion. Someone who wants to require my church to include in health insurance abortion coverage is undesirable. It has nothing to do with race, or ethnicity. It has to do with political and governance philosophy. I find his undesirable.

Anyone who studies history knows this a step back to Jim Crow and poll taxes. :mad:

See my post above. Did the Jim Crow laws apply to both blacks and whites? The new voter ID laws apply to everyone, myself included. The fact is these laws do nothing to interfere with the right to vote of citizens eligible to vote.

As many Republicans and many of the Tea Party keep showing their racist and hateful sides it seems there is no hope for Republicans in the future.

What is hateful and racist about wanted fair and impartial elections, where people not eligible to vote don’t have the opportunity to vote?
There is no voter suppression going on. If you want to see voter suppression by haters and racists, try the New Black Panthers in Philadelphia.

Jon

What’s next? Using burning crosses to demonize the Tea party,?

Lest election is a good example Massive intervention by thr IRS to suppress the Tea Party vote.

Governor McCrory on voter ID laws.

hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/08/13/voter-id-mccrory

Jon

There is nothing leftist about Obama or the Democrats. Hes a center-right liberal but not a Leftist.

But I will agree Obama violates the constitution but so did every President of the last 100 years.

Oh you mean the same IRS that targeted progressive groups too? Thanks for regurgitating another conservative non-issue.

There is usually nothing to back up these assertions either… Just something they heard somewhere.

Because again what is the point of changing these laws when there is no widespread voter fraud occurring? Besides that though, you are right that in a vacuum something that applies to everyone seems fair. However in practice that is not the case.

Voting is based on behavior. People who tend to vote early also tend to vote Democrat and also tend to be minorities. To cut early voting, with really no good reason, is to shorten the time that these demographics typically tend to vote. Likewise a lot of minorities tend not to have drivers licenses which now they are required to get for the sole purpose of voting. Minorities tend to vote Democrat. Same day registration is something that helped college kids who, lets face it, have other things to worry about than worrying if they’re registered to vote. College kids tend to vote Democrat.

Then we have the comments from this moron who is clearly a bigot but who, as a precinct committeeman, knows the inner workings and talk of the GOP of his county. These voter ID laws are nothing more than political strategy to cut the amount of opportunities of people who tend to vote Democrat have to vote. You can try to spin it all you want but it is clearly a case where a). there is no problem to begin with and b). the solutions are politically motivated.

It’s clearly a solution looking for a problem.

Same people, same party.

BTW as much as you would like to label me, I am not “conservative”, “liberal”, “Democrat”, “Republican”, “Traditionalist”, or “Progressive”. I am a Catholic.

Adios. :tiphat:

When 0bama looks over his left shoulder to see who’s further left than he is on the political spectrum, he only sees Van Jones (self-avowed Communist). :tiphat:

Adios. :wave:

That is a joke on both fronts. Van Jones is not a communist and Obama is not a leftist. Obama is as much a leftist as W was a conservative.

=BigBlueCane;11341105]Because again what is the point of changing these laws when there is no widespread voter fraud occurring? Besides that though, you are right that in a vacuum something that applies to everyone seems fair. However in practice that is not the case.

The governor points out in his interview that the state has no recent history of* looking for *voter fraud. I could ask the same question about ACA: most Americans had health insurance coverage, and all Americans had access to health care. Why change the law?

Voting is based on behavior. People who tend to vote early also tend to vote Democrat and also tend to be minorities.
To cut early voting, with really no good reason, is to shorten the time that these demographics typically tend to vote.

Depends on where you live, and Democrats had no problem voting prior to the advent of early voter, so far as I know. And in New York state, Democrats also seem to have no problem voting where there is no early voting system.

Likewise a lot of minorities tend not to have drivers licenses which now they are required to get for the sole purpose of voting. Minorities tend to vote Democrat

This is false. Voters are not required to have a drivers license.
The state is providing at no charge picture ID’s for the purposes of voting, available at all DMV offices.

Same day registration is something that helped college kids who, lets face it, have other things to worry about than worrying if they’re registered to vote. College kids tend to vote Democrat.

I was a college kid, who went to school 1500 miles from home. I had no problem voting, and that was in 1972 - the first time 18 year olds had the right to vote. And, I had to vote absentee in my home district. If they want to vote, they will vote.

Then we have the comments from this moron who is clearly a bigot but who, as a precinct committeeman, knows the inner workings and talk of the GOP of his county. These voter ID laws are nothing more than political strategy to cut the amount of opportunities of people who tend to vote Democrat have to vote. You can try to spin it all you want but it is clearly a case where a). there is no problem to begin with and b). the solutions are politically motivated.

Everything you have said here is spin, as I’ve pointed out. If people want to vote in North Carolina, regardless of party or race or ethnicity, they can vote, assuming they are eligible to vote here. The only suppression of the vote happening in this country has been by the current regime against our men and women in uniform serving overseas.

Jon

Oh goodness. There is nothing center, much less right about this president. John Kennedy was marginally center-right, and this president makes him look like Ronald Reagan.

But I will agree Obama violates the constitution but so did every President of the last 100 years.

I would agree, but you make it sound like its almost ok as a result. Maybe I’m misreading.

Jon

Its enlightening that some people consider IRS targeting, whether it be liberals of conservatives, as a non-issue.

It is a huge issue, no matter who they target. Nixon used the IRS, as has the current regime. This is nothing new, considering that presidents, such as FDR, have even used the Census Bureau against citizens. There should be little surprise which federal agency is now in control of health care.

Jon

“W” and Senior are both centrists, not center-right. So is Jeb.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.