N.J. cop: Obama doesn't follow Constitution [so he doesn't have to either]

From USA Today:

A New Jersey police officer was caught on camera telling a resident that police don’t have to follow the Constitution because President Obama doesn’t, either.

Special Police Officer Richard Recine, of the Borough of Helmetta Police Department, is now the subject of an internal affairs investigation after the video was posted online and was seen by Police Director Robert Manney, who called the comments an “embarrassment.”

In the video, taken Monday at the borough municipal building, resident Steve Wronko gets into a verbal confrontation with Recine, who was called to the building because Wronko was seen taking pictures inside.

After Wronko insists he has a constitutional right to record in a public place, Recine responds.

(remainder snipped)

I will leave it to you to go to the link to see the quote (the language used by the officer is, IMHO, not appropriate for CAF…not horrible…but not appropriate).

Looking at this from the most charitable point of view, this may be the officer venting because of frustration he’s felt in regards to the lawlessness of the Obama Regime. I would far prefer that view than the view that the officer was making that statement out of arrogance, using the Obama Regime’s lawlessness as an archtype.

Either way, it’s rather telling. And rather troubling.

(BTW, video of the cop is at the link)

Either way :wink:

Well, he’s right about Obama but that’s not an excuse for being just as lawless.

The correct response is that Obama is not following the Constitution; therefore, in those areas where he isn’t, we have a responsibility to not follow him.

He’s obviously an Obama hater but that is just an excuse. Most police are fine and brave people. There are a few bad apples who love to abuse the authority they have over civilians when they put the uniform on. It obviously got on his nerves when his authority was challenged.

As a former NJ police officer myself, I always had to be very careful of what I said to the public - it usually comes back to bite you!

This is the example that President Obama sets.

Quite…and I’m old enough to remember when public office was held with a desire to serve out of duty, and for love of country and when honor and integrity were valued. When the office of POTUS was respected instead of being the butt of noxious jokes and an excuse to be lawless.

Bat puckey.
The cop didn’t care aboput the Constitution before Obama and he won’t care after Obama’s gone. Like all cops he regards the Bill of Rights as a “technicality”.

Bad form.

I understand you have to be very patient with some people. It’s not always easy.

Wow! So you’re like, what… 250 years old? :smiley:

ha ha…very funny! Believe it or not, it wasn’t that long ago.

You are absolutely right! I cant count the number of videos Ive seen of regular people being confronted by police and when they try to invoke their constitutional rights, the police almost find it offensive and get angry, usually try to find anything they can to either write them a citation or arrest them…its almost like they take it personal!

Ive always thought as a society we need to stop teaching our young kids to obey and do everything they are told to, by police, whatever the situation…I was taught this in school at a young age as well…instead, I think we should be making sure our kids know their constitutional rights when it comes to dealing with or talking to the police and make sure they understand when and how they must obey police and when they dont have to as well.

Ive seen alot of people that ‘hang themselves’ when talking to the police, and get themselves arrested, mainly by too much talking and giving answers to questions they are not legally required to answer, but usually, they are either too scared or nervous and think if they cooperate, the police will be more friendly with them.

Source

On Thursday, Recine — who had retired from the Franklin police force in 2006 and was working part time here as a special police officer — submitted his resignation.

“I don’t want to give a black eye to law enforcement,” Recine, 59, said Thursday in an exclusive interview with MyCentralJersey.com. “People are saying some really nasty stuff about cops. I don’t want all officers painted with the same brush.”

Borough Administrator Herbert Massa said the resignation was accepted by Police Director Robert Manney, who had called Recine’s comments an “embarrassment.”

(snip)

But on Thursday, Recine, a registered Democrat who serves on the elected Board of Fire Commissioners of District 2 in Piscataway, said he was being “sarcastic.”

“It was just a stupid statement on my part. He got me riled and I said it,” he explained. “I don’t believe that at all. I’m the most patriotic person in the world. I believe in God, the flag, country, the Constitution.”

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.