N Korea 'to abandon nuclear work'

North Korea has agreed to give up all its nuclear activities and rejoin the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, Chinese and Korean news agencies say.

At the same time, the US is said to have given an undertaking that it has no intention of attacking North Korea.

The breakthrough came during a fourth round of six-party talks in Beijing aimed at ending a three-year standoff over North Korea’s nuclear ambitions. There is no decision on whether to give North Korea a light-water reactor.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4259128.stm

Great news if they keep their promise.

Also, IMO, it’s more proof the one size fits all approach to international diplomacy is invalid. I recall how many against the notion of multi-national talks was looked down upon by the anti-Bush crowd.

Sure, I trust them. After all, when we built the nuclear reactors for them they agreed not to build nuclear weapons at that time, and they kept that promise, right?

Now, in exchange for promising not to invade and stop the cannibalism, godless communism, and concentration camps, they promise not to build any more nuclear weapons… I’m sure they’ll keep this promise, right?

Attention to all rapid right wing republicans. Please to not try to trumpet this as a success of the Bush Administration. The North Koreans have manage to build at least 2 and some say up to 9 nuclear bombs on Bush’s watch. And considering the North Koreans long history of both bizarre and crooked behavior, the jury will remain out on this story for many years to come.

[quote=sirduckjr]Attention to all rapid right wing republicans.
[/quote]

Good thing I’m not a registered Republican then, eh?

Please to not try to trumpet this as a success of the Bush Administration.

Really? Who should get the kudos for the agreement then? Jimmy Carter? Clinton?

The North Koreans have manage to build at least 2 and some say up to 9 nuclear bombs on Bush’s watch.

They sure did. To be accurate, they did so by violating the agreement they made with the Clinton administration with materials & tech gained during that same, failed administrations time in power.

And considering the North Koreans long history of both bizarre and crooked behavior, the jury will remain out on this story for many years to come.

That I can agree with 100%.

Really? Who should get the kudos for the agreement then? Jimmy Carter? Clinton?

Nobody gets the credit. We should be suspicious of any deal made with the North Koreans whether we have a president with the last name of Bush, Clinton or Carter. In fact, ten years from now we may look back and realize again just how badly we were fooled just like the deal brokered by Carter for the Clinton Administration of about 10 years ago.

I’m sorry your not a Registered Republican, but if you would like, I can send you a voter registration card. I might even send you pictures of Newt and I posing for a picture together.

[quote=sirduckjr]Nobody gets the credit.
[/quote]

As a matter of logic…that’s funny.

We should be suspicious of any deal made with the North Koreans whether we have a president with the last name of Bush, Clinton or Carter.

I concur.

In fact, ten years from now we may look back and realize again just how badly we were fooled just like the deal brokered by Carter for the Clinton Administration of about 10 years ago.

It’s certainly possible. Hope it’s not the case. Time will tell.

I’m sorry your not a Registered Republican, but if you would like, I can send you a voter registration card. I might even send you pictures of Newt and I posing for a picture together.

Kewl on the picture. Wife has 3 on the wall of Bush43 and Laura. Here in SC I don’t need to be affiliated with a party. I kinda like that.

[quote=sirduckjr]Attention to all rapid right wing republicans. .
[/quote]

Well, I’m not as fast as I used to be.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Isn’t it funny how good news makes some people unhappy?http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

[quote=sirduckjr]Attention to all rapid right wing republicans. Please to not try to trumpet this as a success of the Bush Administration. The North Koreans have manage to build at least 2 and some say up to 9 nuclear bombs on Bush’s watch. And considering the North Koreans long history of both bizarre and crooked behavior, the jury will remain out on this story for many years to come.
[/quote]

Wasn’t it former President Clinton who gave them the materials and cook book? Why wouldn’t you mention that?

[quote=vern humphrey]Well, I’m not as fast as I used to be.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Isn’t it funny how good news makes some people unhappy?http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
[/quote]

Here we go again.

North Korea undermines nuclear deal reached earlier

This just feels like psy-ops.

[quote=Ani Ibi]Here we go again.

North Korea undermines nuclear deal reached earlier

This just feels like psy-ops.
[/quote]

The North Koreans have to be seen to be believed – when I was Deputy Operations Officer of the 2nd Infantry Division, we had problems with them all the time. If there is a socio-pathic nation, it’s North Korea.

If N Korea wants nukes we should give them some. The kind that explode when they hit the ground :slight_smile:

some military knowledge:
a nuke always falls on the epicenter;)

:rotfl:

Above ground detonations produce the most damage. Oh the joys of military NBC training.

[quote=]http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
[/quote]

Vern-

Is it still good news? Less than 24 hours after it is announced the North Koreans are already making contradicting statements.

Seriously, it is appalling that you think that I or any other person in this world would think that if this agreement were true I would be unhappy. My point, which was illustrated much quicker than I thought it would be, is any agreement with North Korea is not worth the paper it is written on. The man is totally crazy and has almost absolute control of his country. Bush has a philosphy of dealing with the North Koreans that may or may not work.(Considering his continued missteps internationally I would not be best described as confident) If they decide to stick with this arangement and they don’t continue to manufacture nuclear bombs, it would be a very good thing. I get the big picture, I just don’t want any premature celebration that this issue has been resolved. As poor as President Bush is doing in the polls currently, I don’t think it would be a stretch for the Rovemeister to try to make political hay on the North Koreans.

Is your logic the same logic that says if I don’t think we should be in Iraq that I am therefore against the troops?

[quote=sirduckjr](Considering his continued missteps internationally I would not be best described as confident)
[/quote]

Missteps? I can’t think of a single international misstep the US has made in the last 5 years. Unless I count the fact the US remains in the UseLess Nations and allowing the UN to stay in New York as a misstept–I can’t recall one.

Back to the issue of North Korea. The agreement is especially good news because now North Korea is again showing themselves to be incredibly distrustful and disingenuine in word and deed. Even China can’t let this one slide.

I look for the tyrant ruling North Korea to suffer some sort of accident in the next couple of years and don’t be surprised if China is the 1st nation to report it.

[quote=sirduckjr]Vern-

Is it still good news? Less than 24 hours after it is announced the North Koreans are already making contradicting statements.
[/quote]

And you think this is good news?

[quote=sirduckjr]Seriously, it is appalling that you think that I or any other person in this world would think that if this agreement were true I would be unhappy.
[/quote]

Then why are you so quick to gloat?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.