N.Y. man dies after jumping from plane without a parachute

DUANESBURG, N.Y. - A 29-year-old man leaped out of a plane at 10,000 feet with a camera but no parachute Saturday. His body was found next to a house with a damaged roof, police said.

Sloan Carafello of Schenectady, who was observing on the flight, followed an instructor, student and videographer out the door, wearing no skydiving gear, officials said.

Police said they did not suspect foul play but would not elaborate.

Robert Rawlins, pilot and owner of the Duanesburg Skydiving Club, said he was flying the single-engine plane and had begun to close the door when Carafello jumped.

His body was found next to a house west of Albany.

Source: news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/ap_on_re_us/skydiving_death

This poor man and his family are in my prayers.

Mine too, how sad.

How bizarre is that?

God be merciful to his soul and may God comfort and assist his family.

Jumping out without a parachute?:eek:

What was he thinking? “If you’re gonna go to heaven, you better travel light” ???:confused:

Since the police suspect no fowl play and will not elaborate, I find that quite perturbing.:frowning:

sighs

I wonder how the others reacted when they witnessed it.

Cheers!

“fowl play” ?

Maybe he could have used some.

Well at least he found an exciting way to suicide.

Ya reckon he just forgot he wasn’t wearing a chute?? And jumped out to video his buddies?

There is an “extreme sport” of jumping without a parachute and having a buddy pass a chute over and putting in on while in free fall.

It came about because some years ago some stunt folks were climbing from one plane to another (while wearing parachutes). Two of the planes collided and were damaged and the pilot of one was not wearing a chute. So he grabbed his chute (that was laying on the floor … good place for it …) and jumped … and put it on while falling.

Right leg … left leg … right arm … left arm … buckle, buckle, buckle … tighten, tighten, tighten … pull the ripcord.

All of it was filmed by the camera plane.

And some folks thought it would be good fun.

Not sure if it’s a mortal sin or just one of those Darwinian things.

This has happened before, several years ago. Videographer was filming multiple jumps, forgot to put a chute back on, went up and jumped again. Those who have seen the video said you could hear him say, “Oh, no” when he reached for his ripcord and didn’t have one :frowning:

I have always said (and continue to say) that when a person jumps out of an airplane, there’s something wrong with one of them.

DaveBj

Never could figure out why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

That’s all that was mentioned in the article. A freefall from 10k feet takes about a minute. Plenty of time to compose a good act of contrition.

DaveBj

That’s what I’m thinking - that he got so caught up in the moment that he completely forgot that he didn’t have his own parachute.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.