NAACP Considers Condemning Tea Party for 'Racism'

The NAACP reportedly is about to take up a resolution to condemn the Tea Party movement for "explicitly racist behavior."

The Kansas City Star reported that the organization plans to vote as early as Tuesday on the language at its annual convention in Kansas City. The resolution reportedly will call on "all people of good will to repudiate the racism of the Tea Parties" and stand against the movement's attempt to "push our country back to the pre-civil rights era."

foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/12/naacp-considers-condemning-tea-party-racism/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Text+-+Politics%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

More evidence of the Total meltdown of he Left in this country.

I wonder if they will vote on the New Black Panther Party being racist?

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:2, topic:205069"]

[/quote]

outstanding point!

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:2, topic:205069"]

[/quote]

Probably next year!-:) Interersting they equate criticism of Obama as racism.

Unfortunately, the NAACP is pulling the race card in order to squelch the political opposition of the opponents of Obama and his policies.

Pathetic.

[quote="estesbob, post:4, topic:205069"]
Probably next year!-:) Interersting they equate criticism of Obama as racism.

[/quote]

They seem to equate any opposition to any Black person as racist. No Black person bears individual responsibility for their personal deficiencies, but is a victim of racism.

They've lost all credibility in my mind. :rolleyes:

I realize that the title of this thread is the same as the Fox News headline, but that headline seems to be a distortion of what the NAACP is considering. Fox News based their story on information from the Kansas CIty Star. If you visit the Kansas City Star article, which Estesbob also supplied, it seems that the NAACP is not condemning the entire Tea Party movement, but a portion of the Tea Party movement which they consider racist.

I look forward to discussing this issue, because certainly it has cropped from time to time here. However, I should note a comment which is unlikely to win the Tea Party movement many friends in the NAACP. Brendan Steinhauser, director of campaigns for FreedomWorks, which plays a major role in organizing tea party events, was quoted as saying: "“The NAACP has more of a political agenda now, but I would hope that they would appreciate the fact that the tea party movement has a lot in common with the civil rights movement."

I think his statement will be offensive to many at the NAACP convention. Perhaps it wasn't meant to persuade NAACP members, but to rally those in the Tea Party movement. Certainly it is a great exaggeration.

Lets see, a group founded and maintained for the betterment of a single race is accusing a political group, open to people of all races, of racism?

Also, it appears that they are trying to paint an entire political group for the alleged actions of a few people who attended a Tea Party. Can I broad brush the entire NAACP by the actions of the Black Panthers?

Does the 8th Commandment ring a bell with anyone at the NAACP?

All this is, is simply the NAACP trying to stir up their members to vote this November since the KNOW they are more than likely going to lose the House of Representatives and possibly, but less likely, the Senate. This is why cries of racism ring hollow nowadays, as the accusation is used for political purposes, and not actual cases of racism.

How pathetic.

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:205069"]
I realize that the title of this thread is the same as the Fox News headline, but that headline seems to be a distortion of what the NAACP is considering. Fox News based their story on information from the Kansas CIty Star. If you visit the Kansas City Star article, which Estesbob also supplied, it seems that the NAACP is not condemning the entire Tea Party movement, but a portion of the Tea Party movement which they consider racist.

I look forward to discussing this issue, because certainly it has cropped from time to time here. However, I should note a comment which is unlikely to win the Tea Party movement many friends in the NAACP. Brendan Steinhauser, director of campaigns for FreedomWorks, which plays a major role in organizing tea party events, was quoted as saying: "“The NAACP has more of a political agenda now, but I would hope that they would appreciate the fact that the tea party movement has a lot in common with the civil rights movement."

I think his statement will be offensive to many at the NAACP convention. Perhaps it wasn't meant to persuade NAACP members, but to rally those in the Tea Party movement. Certainly it is a great exaggeration.

[/quote]

A portion of any group can be considered racist-including the NAACP. The NAACP offends easily so it would not surpirse me if they take offense to Steinhauser's comments. Like the little boy who cried wolf the NAACP has cried racism so long and so often that most of us just roll our eyes when they charge it. It is a sad state of affiars to see what this once esteemed and effective organization has disintegrated into.

[/quote]

I read the Kansas City Star article, and the statement from the NAACP:

The resolution, scheduled for a vote as early as Tuesday by delegates attending the annual NAACP convention in Kansas City, calls upon “all people of good will to repudiate the racism of the Tea Parties, and to stand in opposition to its drive to push our country back to the pre-civil rights era.”

NAACP leaders said the resolution was necessary to make people aware of what they believe is a racist element within the tea party movement.

“I think a lot of people are not taking the tea party movement seriously, and we need to take it seriously,” said Anita Russell, head of the Kansas City chapter of the NAACP. “We need to realize** it’s really not about limited government.**”

Which part of that isn't referring to the entire tea party movement?

:eek: You are right! That is incredibly offensive!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't see it Dale. The NAACP does have a political agenda. ...or is it the similarity with the civil rights movement that you think is offensive? If so, how?

why would anyone think the NAACP has become a wholly owned subsidiary of the Democratic Party? (just like NOW and a bunch of others who've been bought and sold into that party and now operate like little democrat sock puppets)

"First Lady Michelle Obama brought renewed energy to the NAACP today, delivering the keynote speech at the annual convention one day before the nation's largest civil rights group is expected to condemn what it calls racist elements in the Tea Party movement."

abcnews.go.com/Politics/naacp-tea-party-civil-rights-group-considers-resolution/story?id=11144640

I'm sure the timing is just a cowinkiedink. ;) Too bad for the Dems that playing the race-card has now become a joke when they and their minions employ it

**Only God condemns!

While the NAACP may want to be God, they are mere mortals!

If you disagree you are a "racist?" Wrong!!!!!!!!!!

We are all fallible humans, race is irrelevant.**

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro Nobis Pecatoribus!

mark

[/quote]

Thomas Sowell's commentary on this point is a pertinent response to this idea.
Conservatives ought not be courting leftist organizations like the NAACP in the first place. For one, there is no way that any conservative would ever gain favor with such an organization without selling out their core values anyways. Second, to go along and simper up to such organizations like NAACP in the first place will only serve to alienate the black Americans that share the same core values as all other conservatives do.

The left have their reasons for playing up to the Identity politics that make groups based on color possible in the first place. The conservative message however is, and ought to remain, that is values, and not skin tone which defines us as men and women.

capitalismmagazine.com/culture/racism/4804-Frivolous-Politics-How-Become-Racist.html?print

[quote="Mark77, post:12, topic:205069"]
Only God condemns!
Well, no, that isn't true. Its very common for individuals and organizations to condemn some action. Condemnation is even an official term of most extreme disapproval when nations speak of other nations in diplomacy.

Examples:

"The United States strongly condemns the repeated rocket and mortar attacks against Israel and holds Hamas responsible for breaking the ceasefire and for the renewal of violence in Gaza. The ceasefire should be restored immediately," said the statement, attributed to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473167,00.html

america.gov/st/peacesec-english/2009/December/20091210161124dmslahrellek0.5058405.html
[/quote]

[quote="Mark77, post:12, topic:205069"]
....... race is irrelevant.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro Nobis Pecatoribus!

mark

[/quote]

Exactly, race is about as relevant to the values that define a man as foot size or shape of the chin.
Rae is all that is relevant to the NAA*C*P though. they are all about the color of the skin rather than the core values that people of all ethnicities share.

[quote="rlg94086, post:10, topic:205069"]

Which part of that isn't referring to the entire tea party movement?

[/quote]

Its a reasonable question. I was going more on the headline of the KC Star article. Since the resolution is to be voted on tomorrow, we will soon see if it condemns the entire Tea Party movement or simply the racist elements within it.

[quote="rlg94086, post:10, topic:205069"]
:eek: You are right! That is incredibly offensive!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't see it Dale. The NAACP does have a political agenda. ...or is it the similarity with the civil rights movement that you think is offensive? If so, how?

[/quote]

Wow.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since a spokesman for FreedomWorks made the statement, but seriously....

How many people in the Tea Party movement have been blown up by terrorist bombs planted by opponents to the movement? How many have been attacked by police dogs sent in to break up a demonstration? How many have been beaten by groups of opponents to the Tea Party movement?

Have Tea Party supporters been systematically denied the right to vote? Have they been denied housing? Have they been segregated by law from public facilities?

I am honestly astonished that anyone would compare the Tea Party movement to the black Civil Rights Movement. It ranks up there with gay rights supporters claiming the same comparison.

I read an article in the Star; Saturday's paper if I recall; perhaps Sunday's. Anyway, they were also taking up issues like Gay Rights and the Hispanic opposition to Az law in order to seem more relevant to younger people. It seems membership in the NAACP has been dropping, and they're not getting the younger people with their traditional appeal and issues.

So, if the younger potential members have to be drawn in with other liberal issues, one has to ask how relevant the organization really is anymore as an organization for the "Advancement of Colored People".

[quote="Dale_M, post:16, topic:205069"]
Its a reasonable question. I was going more on the headline of the KC Star article. Since the resolution is to be voted on tomorrow, we will soon see if it condemns the entire Tea Party movement or simply the racist elements within it.

Wow.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since a spokesman for FreedomWorks made the statement, but seriously....

How many people in the Tea Party movement have been blown up by terrorist bombs planted by opponents to the movement? How many have been attacked by police dogs sent in to break up a demonstration? How many have been beaten by groups of opponents to the Tea Party movement?

Have Tea Party supporters been systematically denied the right to vote? Have they been denied housing? Have they been segregated by law from public facilities?

I am honestly astonished that anyone would compare the Tea Party movement to the black Civil Rights Movement. It ranks up there with gay rights supporters claiming the same comparison.

[/quote]

Wow.

I see where you are going with this. You are overreacting. The spokesman said they "have a lot in common." "Having a lot in common" does not mean they have everything in common. Steinhauser didn't draw any of the parallels you just made.

I realize it is a sin for any conservative to say they were "inspired" by the civil rights movement. :rolleyes:

Research about NAACP founder W. E. B. DuBois and his collaboration with Margaret Sanger.

blackgenocide.org

protectingblacklife.org

jillstanek.com

lifeissues.org (life issues connector October 2007)

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:17, topic:205069"]
I read an article in the Star; Saturday's paper if I recall; perhaps Sunday's. Anyway, they were also taking up issues like Gay Rights and the Hispanic opposition to Az law in order to seem more relevant to younger people. It seems membership in the NAACP has been dropping, and they're not getting the younger people with their traditional appeal and issues.

So, if the younger potential members have to be drawn in with other liberal issues, one has to ask how relevant the organization really is anymore as an organization for the "Advancement of Colored People".

[/quote]

Well, they could change it to the NAADPP - National Association for the Advancement of Democratic Party Propaganda.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.