NAACP ratifies controversial resolution for a moratorium on charter schools

Washington Post:

NAACP ratifies controversial resolution for a moratorium on charter schools

Leaders of the NAACP, the oldest civil rights organization in the United States, bucked intense pressure from supporters of charter schools on Saturday and ratified a resolution calling for a moratorium on the expansion of charters and for stronger oversight of these schools. Members of the NAACP’s board of directors, meeting in Cincinnati, ratified a resolution adopted in July by delegates to the organization’s 2016 convention that called for a moratorium on more charter schools until:

1. Charter schools are subject to the same transparency and accountability standards as public schools
  2. Public funds are not diverted to charter schools at the expense of the public school system
  3. Charter schools cease expelling students that public schools have a duty to educate
  4. Cease to perpetuate de facto segregation of the highest-performing children from those whose aspirations may be high but whose talents are not yet as obvious.

This was not the first time the NAACP has expressed concern about charter schools, but this resolution goes further than others approved in recent years and had generated an intense campaign by supporters of charters to try to persuade the group’s board not to ratify it.

The campaign included pro-charter columns, blog posts and editorials, including by The Washington Post, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. A letter signed by 160 African Americans involved in education — many of them leaders of charter schools — accused the NAACP of making a false anti-charter argument and said that a “blanket moratorium on charter schools would limit black students’ access to some of the best schools in America and deny black parents the opportunity to make decisions about what’s best for their children.”

As a teacher Ina charter school, I am amazed at how strident the progressive movement is against education choice, particularly when that choice is often attempting to provide a knowledge - based education. Charter and Christian schools offer the best chance for students in poverty to get the education they need to be able to compete in the economy. They will have the side effect of forcing traditional public schools to do the same.

No one pays attention to the NAACP anymore.

They have to do something to make themselves appear relevant.

I am not amazed. The progressive movement seeks equality, not by raising the low performers, but by taking from high performers. In their view there is only so much talent, wealth, and virtue in the world. The supply of these has to be shared more equally rather than increased. The only exception is made for themselves who are destined to rule the rest.

From what I understand, some charter schools are very successful, while others…well, they are horrible. Taken as a whole, charter schools do not out perform traditional schools. But this may be due to the weak schools lowering the average.

The nation’s public charter schools are growing more effective but most don’t produce better academic results when compared with traditional public schools, according to a report released Tuesday.

Researchers at Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes looked at test data from charter schools in 26 states and the District and found that 25 percent of charters outperformed traditional public schools in reading while 29 percent of charters delivered stronger results in math. That marked an improvement over a similar 2009 study by the same research team.

But 56 percent of the charters produced no significant difference in reading and 19 percent had worse results than traditional public schools. In math, 40 percent produced no significant difference and 31 percent were significantly worse than regular public schools.

States that shuttered at least 10 percent of their charter schools — the worst performers — had the best overall results, the study found.

washingtonpost.com/local/education/charters-not-outperforming-nations-traditional-public-schools-report-says/2013/06/24/23f19bb8-dd0c-11e2-bd83-e99e43c336ed_story.html

Shutting down the weak-performing charter schools seems to be important.

The key to charter schools, vouchers, and private schools is that they give parents a choice. When my brother was on the diocesan school board of a fairly large diocese, they had only one underperforming school in 60 years. When the test results came out, so few parents chose to send their children there that it closed. Problem solved. Public schools would benefit from more competition if parents could choose not to send their children to the bad schools. More importantly, the children would benefit.

We have a ballot initiative this year about increasing the number of Charter Schools. It’s as unpopular as the legal weed is popular. I have yet to see anybody in favor of it. I say keep public schools public. I’m actually against all for profit education, from K to Grad School.

Huh. I’m only considering charter or private schools. Definitely not public. In fact, so much so to the point of considering home-school, which I suspect government also wants to eventually see weeded out. Well, one is certainly beholden to whoever is funding. That’s why my Nana said Catholic schools should never take government money.

Use the proper term, “government” instead of “public”. They are government schools.

And WHY should government get to keep its monopoly? What results have they shown that indicate they should not have to compete against the private market for educating children?

Also, I hope you realize the amount of graft, greed and corruption you are supporting by continuing to support government schools. Government schools spend 2-3x the amount of private school tuition, and turn out far worse students. In fact, you could give every single child a voucher to a private school, and SAVE money.

Could you also explain why earning a profit teaching kids is evil or something morally wrong? It’s not morally wrong or questionable to earn a profit while feeding people. Nor earning money healing people. Or housing them. So why is educating people something that must never be done for profit?

The purpose of schools is to educate, the purpose of a for profit is to make profit. Education would take a back seat to profits. It’s a conflict in my opinion.

I am in favor of government/public schools. I’m not anti-government, they have a role to play in our lives even if you choose to not admit it.

Well, many white folks (especially right-wingers) don’t pay attention to the NAACP, however the NAACP remains a vital voice for the African American community.

Would these vouchers be cash or tax write-offs?

I get 1) and 2)

Endorsement of 3) and 4) is just another way of ensuring children with a high potential have an anchor tied to their leg. It does nobody any good when a child is capable of learning at a quick pace, but must be slowed down to keep pace with weaker students.

What this means is that parents with the financial capabilities will move their kids to private schools, and the education gap will continue.

I don’t see why it’s controversial for a civil rights organization to oppose a direct attack on a vital public institution.

If the “vital public institution” wasn’t broken, I might agree with you.

Their opposition to charter schools is a direct attack on their children!

Thank You!!!

I never ceases to amaze me how some of the white people on this site make these grand pronouncements about communities they know nothing about!

Umm, charter schools, at least here in NC, are public schools, every bit as much public schools as traditional public schools. Funded the same way, same teacher pay scale, same standardized testing requirements, same state standards. We’re just not under the dictates of the local school district. We choose our curriculum, etc., to offer an alternative to traditional public and private schools.

Someone must be in favor of it, or there wouldn’t be a ballot initiative. BTW, I am against ballot initiatives, but either way, I hope it passes. :wink:

Jon

The purpose of a government bureaucracy is to increase the size of the government bureaucracy and protect those currently employed.

Government schools have zero incentive to care about the education of children. It’s a conflict.

And you ignored my other point. Your grocery store has the primary aim to make a profit. And yet you have no problem with them being the source of your food. Why is food less vital than education to you that you can’t trust a for-profit entity to provide it?

Direct payments to the schools.

87% of all charter schools are non-profit, either run individually (67%) or by non-profit organizations (20%). Only 13% of charter schools are for profit. However, several of the non-profit charter schools are run by individuals who are making a considerably greater salary per student as compared to those administrators who run public schools. Draw your own conclusions.

=J_Peterson;14227154]The purpose of schools is to educate, the purpose of a for profit is to make profit. Education would take a back seat to profits. It’s a conflict in my opinion.

And, the not for profit public schools have done so well at educating? The schools in Detroit and DC are so spectacular? Their test scores are so outstanding?
The problem isn’t whether or schools are not for profit or for profit, but that schools are not using a knowledge based approach. Instead, they are using progressive approaches that have never worked.

I am in favor of government/public schools. I’m not anti-government, they have a role to play in our lives even if you choose to not admit it.

I’m in favor of them, too, which is obvious since I work in one, but I am not afraid of the competition from traditional public schools, private schools, parochial schools, for profit schools, or home schooling. If any of these serves children well, they should be commended, whether their teachers are in a union or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.