NABRE dilemma!

Hello all,

I have been reading from the the NABRE on my iPad and Nook. I have the piror NAB with the 1991 Psalms (ugh! :eek:) and the 1970 OT/1986 NT in print. I was planning on getting an NABRE until I read somewhere that the Bishops are planning to revise the translation again. Should I wait until this is done, take the plunge and buy, or just stick with a digital edition?

Thanks.

The Psalms of the NABRE are a definite improvement, but there are problems with other books (Isaiah, for example) and the footnotes are a downturn from the 1986 edition.

Get it only if you’re a completist. :slight_smile:

From what I’ve seen online, it.doesn’t sound like the new NABRE will be for at least 10 years. I’d say it will be long enough that if you want a dead tree copy, get it. I’d recommend the Little Rock Study Bible myself, but the ones by Harper are also nice. If you’re concerned about spending a lot on it due to its planned revision, just get a cheap paperback copy to tide you over.

The NAB is cheap enough that I wouldn’t worry about it. Even when the “Reviseder” Edition comes out, it will still be a translation of the same quality as the current edition and will not be obsolete.

I agree with the comments above. It is going to be years before the revision will be done, so if you feel inclined to buy it, a paperback or e-version will not set you back too far!

I just wanted to say that I had to look that up in the dictionary :doh2:

Well, when it comes to collecting Catholic Bibles, I am a completist. :smiley:

I do have the NABRE (and have read it from cover-to-cover), and found the NAB only later.

Wouldn’t every Catholic Bible be completeist since they have all 73 books?

Jusy sayin…

:smiley:

Imagine how many much more money the USCCB would make in Bible sales if they would put Catholic notes in the NAB/NABRE? I wish i had the resources to publish an RSV-CE with footnotes and cross-references. I wish we had a Universal Catholic Bible, that has the CCC as it’s footnotes! I wish we could just update the DR not make a new translation out of it.We’ve got a long way to go to have a great CATHOLIC Bible.

The Ignatius Study Bible by Mitch and Hahn not only has great notes but it also includes the CCC in the notes, and it’s the RSV-2CE.

They have some of the books of the OT done but are still working on the entire OT.

Can’t wait :slight_smile:

Notes are not a problem for me. Notes are not the inspired word of God. I read a Bible without notes. Problem solved.

-Tim-

I think that the notes in the ICSB are great, as i own one. however, the rsv-2ce does not carry a nihil obsat or imprimatur, they carry over the one from the original rsv-ce which i think there are too many changes. In fact, i seem to recall that the rsv-2ce was rejected by the vatican, i could be wrong about that. Since Mass texts are based on the Vulgate, and the DR is based on the Vulgate, I would prefer an updated DR. Ultimately i end up using the CCC with the scripture index as my main commentary.

The RSV-2CE is approved by the Vatican for use in the English speaking Mass. It is currently approved for use by the Antilles Episcopal Conference. I believe it is being used in some English speaking dioceses in Africa, and by the Anglican Use Ordinate in the U.S.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.