NABRE & New Jerusalem Bible Edition?

I’m planning on adding a print edition of the NABRE and the New Jerusalem Bible to my Bible shelf, but am looking for a recommendation on which editions to go with. Currently, I have a Douay-Rheims, Confraternity, Jerusalem Bible (1966 full edition), Knox, NAB (1970) and RSV-2CE (not the study NT). I know some people say the notes and commentary in these two are not good for faith building and that’s fine - I’m actually looking for the ‘faith challenge’.

For the NABRE, I’m leaning towards either the Oxford Personal Study Edition or the Little Rock Study Bible. Since I already have a ‘study bible’ in the 1966 Jerusalem, would either of these editions serve as a better compliment to it? Would you recommend either, or given that I have the Jerusalem, just go with a non-study version with the standard footnotes?

For the New Jerusalem, I can’t make up my mind. I know the full 1985 edition has a lot of study notes, but would there be enough there to justify the full version given I have a 66 JB and adding a NABRE above? Or, should I just get the translation itself in a reader’s edition (or watch for the Saints Devotional Edition used)?

Thanks.

The Oxford edition is good; I own a copy. The type makes it very easy to read, and the notes are tucked away at the end of each book, so you’re free to ignore them if you want. :wink:

For the New Jerusalem (one of my favourites!), I’d recommend the full edition. There isn’t too much difference in cost between it and the “reader’s edition”, the reading format is much nicer (a single column), and besides notes, there’s a very helpful Index of Persons and Subjects. Go for it! :thumbsup:

I have both the Oxford Catholic Bible Personal Study Edition and the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible. I’ll give you the pros and cons of both (imho).

Catholic Bible Personal Study Edition (bonded leather)

Pros: 462 page reader’s guide to every book of the Bible, 54 in page maps, informational inserts through out the Bible, size 10 readable font and print style, reasonable size for a Study Bible with this much info in it (9 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 2), indexed pages, cross references, two ribbon markers, 3 year cycle of Sunday readings and weekday readings, 24 page glossary and 14 color maps, and more.

Cons: Pages are a little thin with a little more than average bleed through (for a study Bible), double column text (for some this may not be a con), wish it came in genuine leather.

The Little Rock Catholic Study Bible (deluxe version, synthetic leather cover)

Pros: Nice synthetic cover (which includes a blind stamped Celtic type cross on front), Very nice page layout, including single column size 10 print, best cross reference layout I have seen in any Bible (on outer edges in shaded box), notes on he bottom of the page are very dark, clear and very readable, the page also have a printed indexing on the outer page edges, Bible paper has a nice feel to it, a Bible time line is located on the inside of the front and rear cover of the Bible (convenient), brief book summary boxes at the front of each book (for a quick glance of author, date written, etc.), in text information in shaded boxes, small maps and b&w photos also scattered throughout Bible, 14 pages color maps, 3 cycle daily readings in back, two ribbon markers.

**cons: ** it is 2 1/2 inches thick, average study Bible bleed through, lacks list of daily readings.

summary:** **

I like both of these Bibles (I guess that is why I bought both). If you buy the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible, I suggest that you buy it in the deluxe edition (with the synthetic cover). The synthetic cover makes the Bible easier to handle when holding in your hand, despite its size (thickness) it feels good holding it in my hand (when reading) and it looks the best of the two Bibles. The deluxe version is printed in a different country and the print is darker than the hardback or paperback versions. The deluxe version is not available everywhere, but you can obtain it at Little Rock’s site. The Oxford Catholic Bible Personal Study Version’s biggest asset over the LRCSB is the extensive Bible reading guide located in the front of the Bible. I wish Oxford would offer this Bible in genuine leather (like they used to), I would call its bonded leather cover average for its type. The Oxford Bible’s thumb indexing works well, although I also got use to the LRCSB’s printed indexing. This is a choice that should be made by going to a good Catholic bookstore and trying out both of these Bibles side by side (if possible). Both have in text info, Oxford has better in text maps, LRCSB has small photos. Overall, LRCSB has more info, but LRCSB is a better reading layout and more comfortable reading while hold in your hands and nicer looking.

Thanks for the advice so far.

On the Oxford/Little Rock NABREs, is there any difference in the focus of the study notes (theological, historical, christian living, etc.)?

Also, how similar are the translations & study notes to what I already have? Would getting either be worth it, in either quality of reading or the notes, since I already have the full 1966 Jerusalem Bible with all the study notes? Will either be able to add much there?

The advantage of the Oxford Bible is the reading guide in the front of the Bible. It covers every book and gives a good overview of the verses and chapters of the Bible. I would probably go with that Bible.

Between the JB and the NJB there’s not all that much difference. The notes are basically the same. Some have been slightly chopped and some have been slightly amplified. They both have the same maps. The NJB maps are nicer. The NJB has some inclusive language changes and has censored out the word holocaust.(as has the NABRE)

The NJB paper is sensitive to water droplets.(high clay content paper?) and its pages are thinner and whiter. They’re the same size other than the NJB being ~20% skinnier. There is very minor bleed through text in both versions.

If you already have The JB then you shouldn’t need the NJB. If someone doesn’t have or can’t get the JB then the NJB is good.

Can anyone comment on the NABRE Study Bible vs. the NJB:

as to which has more copious notes on the bottom of the pages.
(disregarding any study guides at the beginning of the bible)

I have at least 10 different versions of the biblical script. What matters is that it has full consent of the Bishop as a formal colloqiality of Holy See through the basis of imprimatur.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.