Nacho Libre

I am curious what Catholics think of this film. :slight_smile:

That’s one of my sibling’s favorite movies. :slight_smile:

I’m a little concerned right now. About… your salvation and stuff.
:rotfl:

One of my favorite movies of all time…" get that corn outta my face!!!" haha! :smiley:

I seriously have said " God why did you give me the will to fight then make me such a STINKY warrior?!" haha. Every catholic has:)

Ya, that part was funny. I kind of laughed in the beginning where he is not paying attention during mass and looks at the statue of Joseph next to him and has this look of horror and guilt in his face. It is playful in its poking towards the Catholic faith, but I didn’t find it offensive.

I haven’t seen the whole thing straight through. I have only seen parts when it comes on TV. As far as I can tell I think it pokes fun at things without being mean about it.

The USCCB Office for Film and Broadcasting rated it as “O” for morally offensive. From the film review: catholicnews.com/data/movies/06mv111.htm

“The film includes pervasive irreverence, slapstick violence in and out of the ring, including an impaling, innuendo, crude humor including flatulence, vulgar costuming, partial nudity and heedless thievery.”

Catholic News Service has a Movie Reviews feature; all you need to do is type in the name of a movie you’d like more information about. catholicnews.com/movies.htm

Another cool link is the “Top Ten” movies lists from the USCCB, with a listing of the top ten movies by year as selected by the USCCB Office for Film and Broadcasting. Good source for freshening up the Netflix queue :wink:old.usccb.org/movies/topten/topten.shtml

I guess I can understand how it could be seen as offensive, yet I just didn’t. I respect the movie rating though.

My favorite cultural catholic movie.
Steeped in catholic culture and very funny.

The guy who wrote the review at CNS would of course be potentially correct for young catholic children, , but many adults enjoy this film immensly. Its part of my Catholic DVD collection.

I agree! Completely!

I put “not offensive and not funny.” “Not offensive” because it takes a LOT to offend me. I’m not even offended by South Park in 95% of cases. “Not funny” because that’s my personal taste. I tend to be a bit of a comedy snob.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.