Nagging question about crushes?!

Ok, this may seem like a strange question but here it goes. Is it acceptable to have romantic daydreams about cartoon characters? I know this sounds weird but, everybody has their quirks and this is one of mine :shrug: I'm not talking about anything sexual, just romantic daydreams. Day dreaming is usually something that I do to relieve stress or to work out problems in my life. I do not make it a substitute for human interaction so, that is not a problem. If I have a problem then I will talk to someone about it. My most recent cartoon crush is Megamind. :shrug: I actually read a study that said a very large percentage ( I can't remember how much but, I was very surprised at the amount. It was 40% or 60% I think) of our day is spent daydreaming so I don't think that this is unhealthy. Oh I'm 17 just so you know. And I do get out of the house so it isn't like I'm completely socially inept or something like that. I'm a pretty down to earth sort of person. I do have a strong imagination but, that is part of my personality. I keep it in check pretty well though. Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's really possible to have a crush on a 3D or animated character. ;)

I think your time would be best spent on something else. You're 17, your becoming an adult. Start daydreaming about your future in whatever career or vocation you have an interest in.

I do day dream about other things especially my career. I'm in college right now and am doing well ( I guess I should have mentioned that earlier). It is surprising at how many people my age have crushes on cartoon characters but, it is possible. Believe me, I do have a life. The mind is a complicated thing and having a crush on a cartoon character is just one thing that I do. I don't let it interfere with my life. It's just one of those things that everybody (even if they don't realize it) does. As I said, they did a study and it said that everybody daydreams a large part of the day. I can also multi task so if I'm folding clothes or something, daydreaming can make the task less monotonous. Really, I'm not an airhead when I day dream. If you ask me a question or start talking to me I can have a very intelligent conversation with you. I guess my real question is: Is it mortally sinful?

[quote="filios, post:1, topic:232562"]
Ok, this may seem like a strange question but here it goes. Is it acceptable to have romantic daydreams about cartoon characters? I know this sounds weird but, everybody has their quirks and this is one of mine :shrug: I'm not talking about anything sexual, just romantic daydreams. Day dreaming is usually something that I do to relieve stress or to work out problems in my life. I do not make it a substitute for human interaction so, that is not a problem. If I have a problem then I will talk to someone about it. My most recent cartoon crush is Megamind. :shrug: I actually read a study that said a very large percentage ( I can't remember how much but, I was very surprised at the amount. It was 40% or 60% I think) of our day is spent daydreaming so I don't think that this is unhealthy. Oh I'm 17 just so you know. And I do get out of the house so it isn't like I'm completely socially inept or something like that. I'm a pretty down to earth sort of person. I do have a strong imagination but, that is part of my personality. I keep it in check pretty well though. Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

Take it from a fellow teen (I recently turned 18), We all like to day dream and have fun in our imagination. Personally, I enjoy reading old romances and sometimes I get little crushes on the guys in the books, like Romeo, Hamlet, Prince Albert...I like to think about what my life would be like if I lived during those times and if I was a princess. It's fun to imagine and get an escape. I would say it depends how far it goes. If this starts to distort your view of real guys or crosses the line of innocence if you know what I mean, I'd stop. I know some girls who are obsessed with the guys in manga and anime, and they are so distorted with their view on men. We all have our crushes, but you need to be able to discern between what is just imagination!

Hope this helps!

-J

I remember when I was a teen I had a huge crush on

Crushes on cartoon characters isn’t weird or abnormal, especially in this day and age. :slight_smile:

Just avoid lusting after pixels (or real people) and you should be fine. :slight_smile:

Haha! Are you kidding me? I not only have one, I’ve got tons of 2D/3D fictional crushes. XD You can say it comes with my hobby. :o I have to say though, there can actually be a tiny benefit. What you like in a character could very much reveal what you would like in real people. Of course, as far as physical appearances go, there are limitations. (Seriously? Megamind? XD) However, maybe there’s something in terms of personality that could indicate your preferences.

I for one, despite my many fictional crushes, have found that they all have a huge thing in common: They’re all sweet little ingenues. (Okay fine I’ll tell you who some of 'em are :blush:: Hinata Hyuuga from Naruto, Shinobu Maehara from Love Hina, Chi from Chobits, Mikuru Asahina from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, even Beth March from Little Women).

[quote="filios, post:7, topic:232562"]

, Shinobu Maehara from Love Hina, Chi from Chobits, Mikuru Asahina from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, even Beth March from Little Women).

Isn't having a crush on a cartoon character weird already though? I don't know but, I kinda think that anime characters are weird looking;) At least Megamind is somewhat realistic looking (remember I said somewhat realistic, when I say realistic I mean things like facial expressions and stuff like that )because it's computer animation. Really, no hard feelings, I'm just saying :D

[/quote]

I honestly think a lot of it (at least for me as a woman) isn't a crush based on physical attraction, but attraction to the personality. You've seen it, I'm sure: The nerdy guy with the gorgeous girl? With women, personality really is almost everything...at least, it is with SOME women. I am one of them. Looks are maybe, MAYBE 5% of the deal. Luckily, my husband is a real hottie AND has a great personality. That's why I snatched him up so fast! haha

See, I personally don't look at an animated character and start drooling over those "perfectly pixelated abs" but rather, the personality draws me in...or rather did. I haven't actually got a "crush" since I met my husband so I am speaking past tense.

Take for instance, this guy:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxIyVa-9WgrtzWcht2rA20xxinN1cxTJr4_v3O7clCFu9dn7Vlqg&t=1

He looks like a GIRL for pete's sake, but he was the last anime character to make my heart beat fast because he's a real warrior for peace and a gentleman to boot! It was short lived because I saw it shortly after I met my hubby and this pixelated gentleman was quickly overshadowed! LOL

(And hopefully these people don't shut down the link like those last people did. Seriously, if you're a website that doesn't want people Direct linking your image, disable right click. :rolleyes:)

You’re definitly right about it being mostly personality. However is it weird to find an animated character cute? I mean, if you go on blogs and things like that you’ll see people who are absolutely obssessed! It’s a little scary.

[quote="filios, post:9, topic:232562"]
You're definitly right about it being mostly personality. However is it weird to find an animated character cute? I mean, if you go on blogs and things like that you'll see people who are absolutely obssessed! It's a little scary.

[/quote]

Personally, I think people who are absolutely obsessed with anything is a little scary. haha

I don't care if it's anime, cartoon crushes, Avatar, or Twilight. The key to not being scary is living a balanced life ;)

as long as you don’t try to marry Megamind… :wink:

[quote="filios, post:9, topic:232562"]
You're definitly right about it being mostly personality. However is it weird to find an animated character cute? I mean, if you go on blogs and things like that you'll see people who are absolutely obssessed! It's a little scary.

[/quote]

I would definitely second Whiteacre's words and then add some that when I fall for a character's personality, the looks only amplify the personality that I adore. >3<

And yeah, obsession is a universal problem. It's not limited to things like fictional cartoon crushes. :o

(Although I would like to say that bishie fan girls are indeed very, very scary. >_>;; )

Thanks every one! I guess I was kinda splitting hairs but hey, we all do that sometimes.

Hahaha don't worry though, I'm not gonna try to "marry" Megamind. Only in my dreams lol ;)

I was going to say, and I’m 15, that I can totally understand. When I watch anime movies or read the books (not very often but sometimes) I think that a lot of the guys are very attractive. I don’t daydream about them, but I do admit that it is sort of possible to have a “crush” on them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.