Naked

Was Jesus really naked o the cross, and we just cover him up on the Crucifix and art, or was He covered up? Anyone know?

I had heard he was naked and that the Romans did that for humiliation as well… all a part of the torture before death. I really doubt the Romans would have wasted cloth covering people’s private parts since cloth was such a luxury that the soldiers drew lots over who got Jesus’s garments to get free cloth and clothing. It took a lot of time and energy to make a garment, or just to make cloth.

I heard that our crucifixes have that to protect modesty.

So, yes, from what I heard and was taught, he was actually humiliated and exposed like that.

May Jesus be praised and adored.

He was stripped of his garments.
It’s in Scripture.
We cover Him out of respect for His beaten body.

Except for the eight cubit by two cubit linen cloth that enveloped His body, our Lord was without any clothing at His burial.

That could be the way people were buried in those days.

He was no doubt naked, Faith. Everything that could be done to humiliate him was done.

I’ve heard that the dead were buried in their clothing, possibly with the limbs bound (to keep them from flopping around) and the face swaddled, as is described in the instance of Lazarus.

But our LORD died unclothed (whether nude or seminude) and there was no time to clothe Him.

Because the Roman guard would not have bothered to preserve the dead body’s modesty, I’d venture to say that He probably was nude.

ICXC NIKA

Nakedness = shame in the Bible.

Your nakedness shall be uncovered,
and your shame shall be seen.
I will take vengeance,
and I will spare no man.

(Isaiah 47:3)

Adam and Eve did not experience shame before sin entered the world.

And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed. (Genesis 2:25)

-Tim-

They dont seem to mind showing exactly where the nails went in though, or his torso that was badly beaten…why just the private area?

Ive never really thought about this,but maybe its best to actually not cover anything up…sort of saying “No, we are not going to be like adam and eve, and be shamed about our bodies, especially Jesus body on the cross”.

Sort of like overcoming that aspect of original sin on our own, out of respect for Jesus?

Would this be right or wrong?

Then why don’t we all go to Mass naked?

In death, everybody is finally naked; in life there is a pesky thing called modesty to worry about :slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Regrettably, crucifixion was a common punishment. God chose a manner of death which shows a total assault on Jesus’ dignity to emphasize his total sacrifice. There was no humiliation that was overlooked. The crucifixion of criminals was a method of terrorizing the Roman occupied lands and demonstrates the sadism of that time.

The Roman strategy was peace through military conquering. The Christian philosophy is the reverse, conquering through peace.

It’s a stretch, probably, but the nakedness of Jesus reverses the covering of nudity in the garden. Adam and Eve covered themselves out of a sense of shame, but Jesus allowed this indignity to reveal and confirm his innocence.

For me, the point is not to focus on the nudity of the situation. There is a spiritual significance even to this detail in the gospel. Jesus displayed in his nakedness, the sign of circumcision, the fulfillment of the covenant with Abraham.

You can look at circumcision as a cultural practice that was raised to significance in the covenant with Abraham. I don’t recall that Abraham was clueless about circumcision, when God told him to perform it. He knew what it was and did it. But, that’s a biblical mystery, why such practice should start and gain traction over the centuries. I think it clearly connects Adam and Eve in the garden to the covenant with Abraham, and then the trajectory is towards Christ, whose exposure was a reminder of the innocence that was lost in Eden. If there was one person who should have no shame about this, it would have been Jesus.

Being stripped of every shred of humanity emphasizes Jesus divinity. It emphasizes, recapitulates his incarnation. Jesus was ‘clothed’ with his blood. His nakedness biblically connects with the innocence in the garden of Eden. It is not a just a salacious detail of the Biblical account. Jesus hangs on the tree of life, He is he tree of life.

The Bible says (as I recall) that we shall stand naked before God. I think that nakedness addressed the revelation of our sins; those in white robes are those who have purified them(selves) in the blood of the Lamb.

I think He likely was naked. The gospels say the soldiers gambled for His clothes, the oldest (possible) depictions of crucifixion - those that date before the 5th century - show completely nude people.

In the Renaissance, a few artists like Michelangelo actually made crucifixes with a naked Jesus hanging on them. That fresco of the Last Judgment on the Sistine Chapel actually showed stark naked people - most of the draperies were just added in later by folks who were horrified that Michelangelo dared paint nude saints onto the wall.

This is a little-known fresco in Rome dating from the 3rd century BC showing a man who seems as if he is crucified (at least, it seems his arm or wrist is depicted as bound onto a horizontal beam with some kind of fetter). The guy is clearly naked.

And this is a carved gemstone (an amulet of some sort) from the 2nd-3rd century showing the crucified Jesus. He is apparently depicted nude here.

While nakedness is now an issue of sin and vulnerability, our LORD transformed nakedness by dying naked.

Hopefully, in Everlasting Life we will again be naked (IMNAAHO)

ICXC NIKA

It was common practice for people to be stripped naked for a crucifixion. Crucifixion was reserved for enemies of the state, so a level of shame was apart of the process to deter others. Usually being naked and left to rot was involved for crucifixions. Christ’s sacrifice is linked to the fall of man, so it should be no surprise that he is naked to put mankind in the state we were before the fall. Also, his death was to give us new life, so as he was born naked into this life he was naked to enter the next life.

In Matthew it says Jesus’ clothes were white as snow. I assume he had some sort of divine white garment which everyone in heaven will receive.

Such a garment might simply be the radiance of the spiritual body, however.

ICXC NIKA

Wounds are not considered to be shameful; the sexual areas historically have been.

There was actually a group that did this in the days of the early Church. They thought that it should be like Adam and Eve who were naked in the garden. (Adamites I believe they were called. Now considered heretical by the CC)

Tell us more about the adamites.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.