Name for baby girl

We are expecting a little girl in November! I want to name her after St. Thérèse of Lisieux. My question is, is it “kosher” to Americanize the name and call her Terese (Tur-reese, like Theresa without the -a at the end)? Thoughts?

I love the name Theresa… but I am bias since I was named for “Little Therese”. If you do name her Theresa or Therese please make her aware of St Therese’s life. I consider myself so very fortunate to have had her in my life! God bless…you are in for one of the greatest adventures of your life!! I will be praying for you and your little one.

I think so!

Ann Terese

*** Congratulations!!! ***

Hi “mary”… first of all… CONGRATS on the impending arrival of your little one! :extrahappy:

It’s OK to name a child after a saint, but spell the name differently. :yup:

Did you know that St. Thereses’ Patron saint was St. Teresa of Avila? It is the same name. Just a variation on the spelling. So, if you choose to name your daughter “Theresa” or “Teresa”… but designate St. Therese as her Patron… that’s fine! My parents did that. St. Therese is also my Patron. But I spell my first name differently.

Hope this helps. God bless!

Of course it’s fine, that’s how we get many of the derrivatives that are common now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.