Name for your Guardian Angel

My guardian angel is my unsung hero. He helps me every day, leading me on my life’s journey. He’s there all the time, faithfully watching over me, whether I remember to acknowledge him or not. I’ve asked his help specifically to find some lost item or to assist me in driving safely or even to help me in some awkward social situation. He’s helped me countless times and I don’t thank him enough and many times don’t even think about him. Every now and then I’ll say “I love you, thank you for always being there for me”. I’ve talked with other people who gave a name to their GAs. I’ve heard Leo, Lily, Fidelis,etc. I’ve decided to call my angel Lumina which means light in Latin. I realize he probably already has a name, but since I don’t know what that is, I’ve come up with one that I can call him. I know that angels aren’t technically “hims” or “hers” but for some reason I’ve always thought of mine as a him.:slight_smile:
Anybody have input on this? What’s your angel’s name?

I never even thought of doing that, to be honest. Here’s something from Michelle Arnold about it. See what you think:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=255637

By the way, I’m not saying this is right or this is wrong, just pointing out that there was a question on Ask an Apologist and I remembered seeing it. Last time I did this someone pointedly told me that the apoligists could be wrong. I think it had something to do with gum or mints and Communion fast, but I’m not sure anymore. In any case, I’m just offering a little information on the subject.

And who told you to “talk” to your guardian angel, who told you to name him/her? This sounds very suspicious.

I was in a deep meditation a couple years ago and saw an absolutely, beyond words beautiful …what I would say is an angel. She had long flowing beautiful red hair.
Beyond the beauty of anything in this world.

I always hoped that was my guardian angel. I never gave her a name, however.

Daeve is correct. Our guardian angels do have names but the church does indeed discourage people from naming them themselves. We can pray for our guardian angels name to be revealed however, and sometimes it is! :slight_smile: I know several people who know the name of their guardian angels but I also know many who do not yet know the name.

What problem is there with talking to your guardian angel?

I understand that the Church discourages us from giving names to our guardian angels, but I also remember a wonderful book I read some years back called, “My Guardian Angel’s Name is Fred”. The title comes from when a little Italian-American boy learned about Guardian angels in School.

Honestly - I just don’t see what the fuss is about.

Peace
James

Because the is occult practices that will mask what they are doing by calling demons angels, spirit guides/guardian angels, and this is where you must tread lightly upon. This is an area with no biblical support, nowhere in it does it state we are to address our guardian angels, and what you may be letting in can be all together much more sinister then you think.

they don’t need us to name them. i’m also sure they know if we are talking to them. i’ll call mine – dear guarding angel for now.

I have to say that I’m really shocked by the reaction to this! I just finished reading a book about Padre Pio and he talked to his angel all the time. Mother Angelica on EWTN named her angel Fidelis. Neither of these people would do anything that was against the Church. I’m not saying that we can ask our angels to do anything bad for us, but I know that they’re there to help us. Haven’t you ever heard of the Guardian Angel prayer? It’s been around forever. In the prayer you’re asking your angel to guide and protect you. What could be wrong with that?

I don’t feel like I’ve named my guardian angel, I feel more like I’ve been told the angel’s name. I now call him (I know angels aren’t nessesarily a him or a her because we say so) Elliot. :slight_smile:

Dominic

Andrew

Cain

…ring any bells? :smiley:

What a posh name! :stuck_out_tongue:

I broke my ankle a couple of years back and spent a lot of time on the couch. While watching EWTN I saw an interview with a Bishop from Peru who was talking about naming your Angel he highly reccommended it. Mines named Stu.

My birthday is October 2, the feast of the Guardian Angels, and I thought it would be cool to name my angel. However, similar to what others have said here, my priest told me that I should not be giving my guardian angel a name. Its perfectly okay to pray to my angel though, I was told.

I’m not sure about Mother Angelica giving her angel a name, that’s a bit confusing, and I may ask my pastor about that!

I didn’t give them those names, those are their names.

There is biblical support for guardian angels. Here is a quote from American Catholic.org:
Perhaps no aspect of Catholic piety is as comforting to parents as the belief that an angel protects their little ones from dangers real and imagined. Yet guardian angels are not just for children. Their role is to represent individuals before God, to watch over them always, to aid their prayer and to present their souls to God at death.

The concept of an angel assigned to guide and nurture each human being is a development of Catholic doctrine and piety based on Scripture but not directly drawn from it. Jesus’ words in Matthew 18:10 best support the belief: “See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

Devotion to the angels began to develop with the birth of the monastic tradition. St. Benedict (July 11) gave it impetus and Bernard of Clairvaux (August 20), the great 12th-century reformer, was such an eloquent spokesman for the guardian angels that angelic devotion assumed its current form in his day.

A feast in honor of the guardian angels was first observed in the 16th century. In 1615, Pope Paul V added it to the Roman calendar.

Comment:

Devotion to the angels is, at base, an expression of faith in God’s enduring love and providential care extended to each person day in and day out until life’s end.

Quote:

“May the angels lead you into paradise;
may the martyrs come to welcome you
and take you to the holy city,
the new and eternal Jerusalem.” (Rite for Christian Burial)

Livnlern,
Prodigal was not saying there is no support for Guardian angels, he was refering to biblical support for naming them. This was in response to my question to him.

Peace
James

Well, naming them and trying to tap into who they are, like you can have some two way dialog, that is what I mean you have to watch out for, even the devil can make himself appear to be an angel of light and beauty. Just be careful, that’s all.

Understood. Good advise. :thumbsup:

Peace
James

Sorry, guess I misread his post.:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.