Name of Alleluia used at the Daily Mass on EWTN?

I was watching the Daily Mass on EWTN from that Catholic Church in Alabama, and I wanted to know: what Alleluia do they use? I heard somewhere that it was a Gregorian Chant Alleluia. I just wanted to know because I thought it was beautiful, yet really simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a recording of it you could post here (youtube, Mp3…)?

This is a standard – yet highly beautiful – alleluia that has been used for ages.

You can see it in modern notation here (mp3 recording here) along with a random psalm verse. If you can read chant notation, this alleluia is on page 6 (and also 84) of the Parish Book of Chant, which is freely downloadable from here.

Oh, and to answer the literal question posed by the title of this thread, I’m not sure that this alleluia has a name. If anyone knows, I’d be interested to learn.

Some additional checking shows that this alleluia was used at Lauds on Easter Sunday, and it doesn’t appear to have a title, it’s not a part of something longer, and there’s no other music or words to it, though it would have been followed by Psalm 150 (Laudate Dominum in sanctis eius) in Mode VI. Here’s what it looks like:

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7798&d=1273134858

According to musicasacra.com/audio/ the name is Alleluia VI.

I am very grateful for the links given, as I now have both a good recording of it and the pdf printout. Now, perhaps I can persuade our congregation that they have been singing it wrong for years! Only one word is sung incorrectly - the final alleluia - but, since I was corrected by my brother, it now grates on me!!

Thre is actually an arrangement of this used in Respond & Acclaim from OCP.

Yep. It’s Alleluia, Chant Mode VI

Ohh. Chant Mode VI. I see. I just needed to hear a recordong of it. I’ve actually arranged this one for organ before. I like it a lot, along with the Mass for the City, and the Holy Cross Mass Agnus Dei. Thanks Mark!

That’s just an informal name. And the “VI” doesn’t mean that this is the sixth in some list of six or more alleluias, rather, that this is in Gregorian Mode VI, namely, the Hypolydian mode. Call it “Hypolydian Alleluia” if you really want to shock people :smiley:

I am very grateful for the links given, as I now have both a good recording of it and the pdf printout. Now, perhaps I can persuade our congregation that they have been singing it wrong for years! Only one word is sung incorrectly - the final alleluia - but, since I was corrected by my brother, it now grates on me!!

Glad I could help!

We recently sang this Alleluia at my church. I had problems with the second Alleluia. I don’t remember how long to hold out the “Al-” for the second one. Now I can read the music and study it.

Thank you everyone for your help!

I don’t recall OCP’s “Respond and Acclaim” doing a version of this Alleluia. However, there is one similar to it. The Alleluia found in the book for this past Sunday - the Fifth Sunday of Easter sounds similar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.