Name or link for original bible and word tool (definition)

i need to be able to look at the original words so i know exactly what they mean when i read the bible. so i need a bible version which is the original. what is that? sept. or vulg. or hebrew or what? and what tool to look up the actual word itself in these books so i can really know what it means.
plz also either supply me with a link or name of the tool so i can get it online for free.
thanks

Your question is a lot more complicated than you appear to think. There is no “original Bible”. The Vulgate is an interpretative copy from Saint Jerome, in the Latin vulgar.

The Septuagint from what I understand is not a regular copy of a book like we’d expect today. The Septuagint varied greatly in Jesus’ day, if I am not mistaken.

There are a lot of problems with the idea that you want to read “the original text.” Not least of your linguistic nightmares is that even if you were fluent in the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, you would still not understand the cultural and social anomalies associated with the language.

Here’s my case in point: for centuries, there was no doubt that Mary was ever-Virgin. The people who were closest to the time of the writing of the Bible, as well as who knew the Apostles, were the best for telling us this information. As time went on, the authority of the Magisterium of the Church was rejected by Protestants.

Even these initial Protestants weren’t so wild as to proclaim that Mary was not ever-Virgin. But with the loss of any sort of authority in reading Scripture, and the removal of modern society from the ancient texts, such passages such as:
“and they had no relations until she gave birth to Jesus”
which would never have alarmed those closest to the time of the writing, now alarm heretics across the world.

“See? It says until… meaning afterwards, they had relations!” This heresy is dependent on two things: a rejection of the Magisterium of the Church, and an inability to understand the ancient language. The Fathers had no problem with the passage, because the word until, in the Greek, had a meaning of “up to that point” but did not have the implied meaning that it does today of “but afterwards, yes”. (for a further example, “sit at my right hand until I make your enemies my footstool” by the logic of such a person, this would be to say, “afterwards, get lost, Jesus”. It doesn’t mean that.)

(As a note, not all Protestants reject Mary ever-Virgin. Many Lutherans, for example, still respect this truth)

With such a removal from the ancient languages, however, we do not see nor understand some of the phrases.

**Young’s Literal Translation is probably the best for a literal translation of the Bible.

Also, try here for some Greek and Latin texts
newadvent.org/bible/gen001.htm
Just be cautious. If you read the Scripture without the authority of the Church guiding you, you interpret it for yourself, which is spoken against in the Bible at least twice, and you risk falling into a bad way.

Do not think yourself mighty and wise. Rely on the Church which has endured for 2,000 years, producing and defending against the greatest minds of all time.

Peter, guide my sheep. Peter, tend my flock. Peter, feed my sheep. Jesus spoke these words to Peter even amidst the other disciples! How much more will they apply to us?

If you wanted my Scriptural proofs for where the Bible suggests we not interpret it for ourselves, but rely on authority… here are but a few.

Acts 8
29The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot.”
30Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
31He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him.

2 Peter 1
20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,
21 for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God.
[we believe those human beings to be the Bishops and the Pope]

2 Peter 3
15 And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you,
16 speaking of these things 12 as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures.

Hebrews 5
12 Although you should be teachers by this time, you need to have someone teach you again the basic elements of the utterances of God. You need milk, (and) not solid food.

Do I understand that you want a link to the Old Testament in Classical Hebrew and a link to the New Testament in Koine Greek, but you cannot read either of those languages, so you also want a free online tool where you can translate each word? My friend, pretty much any English translation of the Bible will be far more accurate than what you’ll come up with that way. Heck, even the deliberately mistranslated “New World” Bible would be more accurate than doing what you are suggesting. If you are so distrustful of all translations for the last 500 or so years, then read several in conjunction with each other to get all the nuance you can out of it. If you are just interested in certain words from certain verses, post them here and we can see what we can do for you.

The kinds of study aids you want are available in the PC Study Bible software set, available at biblesoft.com. It is pricey, but I’ve been using various versions of it for a couple decades now, and I find it indispensable. There are several levels with increasingly large catalogs of books and working aids as you go up the price ladder. It includes a number of Bible translations, Greek and Hebrew interlinears, with grammar helps (depending on the suite purchased). It is not a Catholic production, but that does not figure into actual linguistic studies. I do not know of anything on-line that will do what you want, but I have never gone looking for anything.

codexsinaiticus.org/en/

?

Peace

Adding on to what others said, languages pretty much never translate word for word. There are always words in a language for which there is no matching word in the other language. This is where interpretation comes in. The translators who understand the original language must pick a word in the new language that they believe most aligns with the original meaning. You will never find an English translation, for example, that perfectly captures the meaning of the original words. So like the other posters said, unless you know one of those ancient languages fluently, you’re not going to get any more meaning than a good Catholic, English (or your own native language) translation provides.

what i mean is, sometimes you hear people talking about a verse in the bible, and they focus on a word eg Eden or LIght and what it means in the original hebrew or greek (i assume these are the languages of the orginal texts). so people are doing this - finidng out the orginal words and what that word means in depth in verses that interest them.
what tool do they use for this? i need to do it too

from the above posts, i take it the original languages are hebrew for the old testament and greek (septugiant) for the new testament. any links for this online?

scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

It is called an interlinear bible, such as the one JM3 linked to above.

Or try this one.

As you may have gathered, whether or not you should - or even whether you should be** allowed to** - do this is somewhat contentious, and one of the more substantial things that divided the Catholic Church from protestants.

^^^This one is lightyears better than . . .

^^^this one. It matches what I have in the PC Study Bible. Good find, DrTaffy :thumbsup:

I started out with the above link (and you can switch to the Greek by the super-tiny letters in the right-hand corner).

But this same Scripture4all site provides a free program that is wonderful (to me) - allowing searches and has Strong’s # definitions over the words. It also allows searches by Strong’s #.

A key drawback of the word search is, for instance, “rock” pulls up everywhere the YLT used rock - even if the Hebrew differentiated between rock, pebble, or crag. So, when I want specifics, I use the Strong’s # to search.

It comes with default Right to Left Hebrew interlinear but that can be switched to L-R under “View”. Plus it has different layouts from the toolbar.

I can also do a search in one ISA window but open up another to do another search while keeping the first one.

I do wish we could copy from the screens but I use the Snippet Tool when I want to save a section in MS Word. Also, if I open a Strong’s def window and want to put the definition in MS Word, I can highlight and hit Control C(opy) and at least that much copies.

And I’m sure I haven’t made use of all the features possible.

scripture4all.org/

Interlinear Scripture Analyzer (ISA)
Download
ISA 2 Help
FAQ

P.S. I don’t remember what the default is for the information showing, but it can be adjusted to whatever works for you under “Interlinear” in the toolbar. “Kal” is what is written and “Q” is the current use spelling.

Just to add to what others have said, we don’t have any original manuscripts, and those texts that are original Biblical languages will have numerous variant readings among themselves, and the Greek and Hebrew texts that you use are edited based upon the work of scholars. All the manuscripts that exist are copies by the hard work of scribes who did their best but made mistakes here and there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any word search tool is the work of scholars and can be biased depending upon the one who put it together. Normally a lexicon is neutral but I have seen grammar books and lexical definitions that are tilted to favor a doctrine. All the hidden and subtle things even in lexicons and so on are another reason to use caution and hold fast to what the Church has taught.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.