Name some great scenes from movies

i like the one in the 10 Commandments where Moses is in the desert… The narrative is interesting, about how trials make us ready for God and His plans… I wish i could remember it word for word but i can’t.

then there’s the part where Ramses II says (after all the plagues God sends to Egypt): “His [Moses’] God is God.”

I don’t watch many movies made today… so maybe you can tell me if there are any good ones??

(or at least good scenes)…

The scene in Schindler’s List when Schindler is closing up the factory after the Nazi regime is destroyed. Only he and his Jewish assistant / friend remain. Schindler breaks down and grieves over the additional Jewish lives he might have saved had he been more frugal or less self-indulgent. He takes off his ring, realizing he could have sold it and bargained for one more person. I can’t remember the words, even though I’ve seen it several times, but the words aren’t important. It’s the most powerful scene in any movie I’ve seen in my 57 years.

The scene from the Helen Keller movie The Miracle Worker starring Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke when Helen first understands that the hand signs are the names of things. She has her hand in the water that comes from the pump while teacher signs water and her face lights up with understanding. Then she runs from place to place demanding to know the names of everything. It always makes my hair stand on end.

The scene of all the Southern wounded in the rail yard of Atlanta in Gone with the Wind is probably one of the most immensely sad scenes. 'Course then too when Scarlet shoot that Yankee, well, I have seen the movie having to be shut down in the South from the cheers (an no, I am not making that up). Went over like a lead balloon when I saw GWTW in Chicago.:smiley:

The final scene from “Cinema Paradiso”.

Spoilers…

The film is set in post WWII Sicily. A little boy is mentored by Alfredo, the projectionist of the movie theatre. One subplot of the film is that the scrupulous town priest has the Alfredo cut out any kissing scenes from the movies. At the end, the little boy is an adult and Alfredo has passed away, leaving Toto all the “censored” film scenes spliced together.

I still cry.

thanks… always wanted to see that movie but scared… scared of crying too much… etc… becaues i heard of one scene where a mother is forced to choose between saving the life of one child of hers over the other…

hmm… is that true story??

what is the most romantic scene?

the scariest scene?

the one that has most caused you to think??

Spencer Tracy being denigrated then apologized to at the tribunal toward the end of “Stanley and Livingston”, an inspirational showing of one man’s, ( the chief magistrate or at least the main accuser, not Tracy), repentance from arrogant ignorance when the truth is revealed. Made me want to be humble enough to do the same. I need to watch this again.

In Eraserhead, when Henry sees the “baby”, it made me think “I’m not going to watch any more of this” and “I don’t ever want to see this movie again!”

That IS an outstanding scene.

With regard to Schindler’s List… the genius of Steven Spielberg to make a black and white film and to single out one little girl in a red coat is beyond belief. We see her about halfway through the movie, the only color object, being removed from the ghetto by the Nazis. Much later in the film, almost as an afterthought and well after we’ve about forgotten the scene, we see a child’s body in red being tossed meaninglessly into a mass grave in the background. Chilling, humanizing, and de-humanizing all at the same time.

Arguably the most brilliant use of color in a film since The Wizard of Oz.

At the end of “Field of Dreams,” the lead character asks his Dad if he wanted to play catch and they do. The tears just flow from my eyes, no matter how many times I see the film. Also, Amy Madigan, the actress who played the lead female character, was the captain of the cheerleading squad for our (Catholic) high school during my sophomore year – so, I kind of like that, too.

God bless,
Dan

Distracted, you really should see Schindler’s List. Yes, it’s upsetting, but it changes you.

Most Romantic - any scene with Cary Grant in it. Yup, I’m a total sucker for Cary Grant.

Made Me Think - Again, the scene in Schindler’s List I mentioned before. Also a movie that didn’t really have “scenes” as such, and no actors or dialogue, called “Koyaanisquatsi”. It’s a Hopi word meaning “life out of balance” and the movie was based on Hopi prophesies about the “end times” and what people would end up doing to themselves and the rest of creation. It was described as a “God’s-eye view of modern life.”

Scariest - have to think about that one. I don’t watch scary movies.

Some moving ones: In the Elephant Man, when he is locked away all hope given up, and suddenly he starts reciting from the depths of his heart from the Bible a prayer word for word, and Anthony Hopkins realizes the poor suffering man is a spiritual knowledgable flesh-and-blood human being, and not some circus freak, despite how society had treaded on him. His prayer of anguish just got to me.

The scene in My Left Foot, where Daniel Lewis on the floor and out of his wheelchair finally writes a word lying on the floor using his left foot and chalk on the floor to show to his mother he can write.

Foreign movies: the scene in the Colour of Paradise, where a poor Iranian peasant can’t find his borned-blind son a future and takes his blind little son to a woodcarver to learn a trade the blind may learn and live off in their secluded shops. He abandons his blind boy. The poor father struggles for the rest of the film on whether it was right to abandon his son in spite of all the father’s own hardships and whether he could have done anything for him dirffently. The film ultimately is a film about theodicy.

Yeah… that is quite the scene. Agreed.

The powerful scene from Zeffirreli’s Jesus of Nazareth, where Christ arrives at Lazarus’s tomb and raises his hands just such at the tomb’s entrance and commands “Lazarus Arise!”, showing who truly held power and dominion over death.

Thanks for mentioning Elephant Man. We need another category for it -“Most Painful to Watch”. It’s the only movie I’ve ever walked out of; the cruelty and his pain were so intense I just couldn’t take it.

Thank you for mentioning Jesus of Nazareth. My favorite scene from this movie is when Jesus goes to the home of Matthew, the tax collector, against the wishes and advice of Peter. Peter is angry with Jesus but lingers near the front door with others in a crowd. Jesus is aware of Peter’s presence and proceeds to tell the parable of the Prodigal Son. Peter and Matthew realize that the parable is directed towards them. Peter enters the room and Matthew rises to embrace him.

I saw this film a number of years ago. I remember the father being somewhat ashamed that the son was disabled. I don’t remember the reason he removed his son from the school for the blind in Tehran. But I remember the scene where his sisters take him to their village one room school house. He knows the lesson and follows along in his own book in braille. His sisters are happy, the teacher is impressed with him, but the father seemed to be ashamed. But maybe he was more overprotective than ashamed?

The scene that I thought touching is when the wood carver (also blind) is teaching the little boy. The little boy is missing his family and starts crying. The wood carver doesn’t realize the boy is crying until the tears land on his hands. The wood carver shows a gentleness to the boy, that the father seemed unable to.

Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore in Apocalypse Now:

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
kneels]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinkin’ dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: victory. Someday this war’s gonna end…
suddenly walks off]

IMO the only good parts in the movie are the Cavalry Scenes but I’m bias. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.