Name something weird you heard in a homily

i have heard many things that sounded odd…

One thing that bothers me is how, often, at funerals, the priest will say things in the homily that tend to imply that the deceased is already in Heaven… making not one mention of Purgatory - seemingly because there are Protestants in the congregation (?)…

Why are some priests so eager to please Protestants, even at the expense of Truth??? :confused:

I am just curious about what is going on in other parishes…

Not sure if this is weird, but I thought it was out there. I can’t remember why this was brought up, but one of the younger priests in our parish often gives homilies, that have some Catholic history woven through. About two months ago, he talked about some historical events where ‘Christians didn’t act like Christians,’ and he brought up the Holocaust. How we (Catholics) were largely to blame for it? I know I heard it right, because someone else in our parish --who I had come to know–thought it was very strange.

That was probably the strangest (and most confusing) homily I’ve heard to date.

you must type fast… I just posted this… :smiley:

Yeah, that is very strange… Wondering if anyone can top that??

The Catholic Church did a lot to save the Jews in WWII … They even hid them in the Vatican… got gold together to buy them from the Nazis…

Pretty pathetic that anti-Catholicism goes to those lengths… to even out-right lie about such things… The priest probably was just mis-informed… (hopefully :o ??)

Did anyone correct the priest?? Or at least discuss the issue with him??

He’s lucky i wasn’t in his congregation… :smiley:

My son, who is 15 and at times, a little sleepy depending on the homily:o perked up, looked over at me, and whispered…is that true mom? I was really angered that this was what the priest has decided to preach about–I too have read that Catholics were vital in protecting more jews…not harming them! I am not sure if anyone corrected him–I have not seen much of him since though. I absolutely love this priest – other than that homily–he is a very gifted speaker, and very engaging with the youth of our church. My son feels inspired when he listens to him, but he didn’t like that particular homily. It was strange to say the least!

The only other strange thing I have ever heard in a homily, was a priest (two Sundays ago) talking over and over again about Heath Ledger’s performance in Batman–I’m like…and this has to do with God…how? lol:shrug: He somehow tied it in with secular accolades…but it was out there! :stuck_out_tongue:

How about one year ago when on the Feast of the Assumption, Father said that this feastday was really about hospitality?

Feast of the Assumption=hospitality :confused: :ehh:

• The multiplication of fishes and loaves? It was the miracle of SHARING!
  • A priest quoting the History Channel of all things! As in “I guess the wise men were actually astrologers. I learned that on the History Channel the other night.”
  • The priest turning over the homily to a guy who kept on talking about Ephesians 2:8 (which wasn’t part of the day’s readings) and he kept going on about how the important thing is faith through grace. I felt like going outside to check if I wasn’t in a Lutheran church.
  • Telling someone they can’t take communion for any reason is just not scriptural because Jesus says “Take this ALL of you and eat it…” not “take this and eat it if you’re good enough.”

I am not sure what reason the priest mentiond, but, I think you have already known, for some particular reasons, one should not receive the Communion.

It could be the priest meant to say that we Catholics (& other Christians) did not do enough in the war… i think it can safely be said that we Christians never do ALL we can do (absolutely speaking). I think that if we did do all we were capable of … maybe abortion would not still be legal?? Or am i engaging in fantasy thinking or something?? I tend to think that now that the Sup Ct has taken over the decision… it is kind of hopeless to get abortion outlawed… Roe v Wade overturned???

he didn’t explain waht he meant??

Maybe he didn’t have to… Kinda sounds like a liberal priest…:rolleyes:

Yeah, i have heard this too… not from a priest at the church i was attending but… i read it somewhere…

• A priest quoting the History Channel of all things! As in “I guess the wise men were actually astrologers. I learned that on the History Channel the other night.”

Just goes to show the power of the media to poison our minds (and souls)… because something is said on TV people tend to believe it (myself included, unfortunately…:whacky: ).

• The priest turning over the homily to a guy who kept on talking about Ephesians 2:8 (which wasn’t part of the day’s readings) and he kept going on about how the important thing is faith through grace. I felt like going outside to check if I wasn’t in a Lutheran church.

Only the priest or a deacon is supposed to do the homily… If someone other than the priest/deacon speaks during the time normally allotted to the homily, it must be called something other than a homily (& said so out looud)… And that thing about Faith trhough grace… What exactly does that even mean?? give me a break… We all know we are supposed to have faith… And grace comes from doing the right thing… (Doing… not just believing…). It is almost like Catholics are ashamed of being Catholic… even Cahtolic priests. :rolleyes:

• Telling someone they can’t take communion for any reason is just not scriptural because Jesus says “Take this ALL of you and eat it…” not “take this and eat it if you’re good enough.”

that may take the cake! wasn’t Jesus speaking to his Apostles when he said that??? and they were the only ones there, if i recall… (meanig, as i recall scirpture):rolleyes:

A newly-ordained priest in my former parish once began his homily on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception with the immortal words: ‘Mary was present at all the important events in Jesus’ life, even His birth’.

To this day I remember the wave of barely contained mirth that rippled through the congregation…

Wow… maybe he was really nervous…

I am projecting, i guess… i always get nervous speaking in front of people… & when nervous, say odd-sounding things…

my parish priest was saying a Mass with a small group of us in the presbytery and I am not sure whether it was in the homily or even what the context was, but he said that a Franciscan priest had once heard his confession and as a penance had told him to do 15 decades of the rosary. My parish priest said he replied “and you can go to hell”. He laughed as he said this, but none of us did.

wow… that is very strange…

for one thing… it should be a great joy to even say one decade of the rosary… Saying 15 would make you a saint, wouldn’t it?? :smiley:

I cannot understand how flippant he can be regarding the forgiveness of his sins. But then again, he doesn’t accept purgatory and has denied that hell could exist in light of God’s love, until one parishoner threatened to leave that is.

my priest shares both of these attitudes. He gives Communion to the divorced and remarried if he thinks that they are living lives of grace. Who is he to judge?

very strange…

You know, i can understand the 15 decades as a penance if this priest is like that… God knows what that confessor heard… :eek:

If the confession (sins confessed therein) was really as bad as i suspect… i guess its reasonable that he would have to convince himself that Purg & Hell don’t exist… because, of course, he would not wnat to belive he was actually on his way there… Weird… how people can convince themselves of something just because they want so badly to believe it… But deep inside, they know the truth… i would think… or at least they can still *question *whether they know the truth or not…

Anyway, even if one tended not to believe in Hell (sometimes i find the thought unblievable myself)… i say: Why take a chance??? I mean, isn’t that the ultimate self-hatred… to just take that kind of chance with your eternal destiny??

I like my parish priest as a person. He has many good qualities and is a kind and helpful person and very hospitable, but I think he has a bit of a liberal attitude. I think he believes that by taking all the hard aspects of the faith away, more people will be attracted to the Church. However, it is truth that people want, not fairy tales.

that’s like saying Bill Clinton has a bit of a liberal attitude… !!

I think he believes that by taking all the hard aspects of the faith away, more people will be attracted to the Church.

well, yeah, but taking away Hell is taking away the whole ball of wax… I mean, without Hell, why do we need a Savior?? What did Jesus’ death save us from??

it is truth that people want, not fairy tales.

Sooo true!!!

-Altar calls and I’m not talking about going up to receive the Eucharist.
-Though he didn’t come out and directly say it, Faith is a feeling :doh2: (well, no, though sometimes there are feelings of consolation)
-There are others but can’t remember. He’s been questionable in his homilies since I first heard him (he got there a year before I first met him. I was abroad during the time he came.)
-He like props waaayyy to much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.