Name that scripture

My ex-Catholic brother tried to hit me with a scripture last week that he could hardly remember. He was trying to steer me away from “evil Catholicism”. Anyway. . .he said, “you know the bible says to beware of those who wear gold robes and preach out loud!?” He was eluding to the scripture warning against Catholic priests, bishops, the Pope. . .

Hardly a solid argument against Catholicism, but nonetheless I responded. I simply said, “the bible should be read in context and as a whole, not paraphrased to suit ones own personal feelings.” I would really like to find this scripture and it’s true context, since he has decided to hang his hat on it.

I assume he means Mark 12:38-39, but that’s meeting him halfway.

Oh, I don’t know . . . maybe he meant King Solomon? :wink:

1 Kings 10:24-25:

The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart. Year after year, everyone who came brought a gift—articles of silver and gold, robes, weapons and spices, and horses and mules.

Just take out the comma. That’s the only place gold robes are mentioned in the entire Bible, as far as I can tell.

Thank you! That would probably be it. His misquote was most likely a hybrid of the scripture itself and his pastor’s ad libbing.

I attended a service at his non-denominational church once, and painfully sat through the pastor’s sermon which contained little nuances about traditional religions(Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, and might as well include Judaism as well). He talked about how we don’t need boring and outdated ceremonies and rituals to have a relationship with Christ. So much for bringing his congregation into the light. It sounded more like he wanted to cast a black cloud of darkness over Catholicism and other traditional religions, since he knew he had an audience of mixed denominations and probably wanted to sell his brand. I believe Catholics were probably his target since we’re such a large share of “the market.”

Show him this:

Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast; his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters; in his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand upon me, **saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.**" 

Rev 1:12-18 (RSV)

The passage in Mark is a warning about hypocrites, not people who dress in a certain way.

Pray for him!

Ruthie

Phillip01: 2nd Timothy 3:16: It is true that the direct context is about the jewish leaders. However, there are plenty of scriptures and scriptural examples about hypocritical leaders. This doesn’t necessarily mean catholics leaders are hypocritical. If the shoe fits according to their actions or wrong doctrine then he could make a good case and this would pertain to any protestant pastors,catholics,r or jewish rabbis. All of these have had cases of hypocrites of their leaders at one time or another. If and when the truth exposes hypocrisy one can hang their hat on it. God Bless Jerry Kelso

Just kick him. In the face.

Apollos, you shouldn’t post when you’ve been drinking, man.

:smiley:

Tim Staples once told us that “A text without a context is a pretext for an argument.”:wink:

I would never be able to hold it back; I would have to ask him:
:hmmm:“But…but… How on** earth** do you:ehh: hear what your pastor says,:eek: if he preaches in a :rolleyes:wee, :cool:under-his-breath:whistle: sort of :ouch: a :eek:mumble all the time?”

um…Stonewall Jackson.

What was he wearing at that time? :eek:

Was he also preaching out loud? :shrug:

I believe that the context of “wearing gold robes” is about being proud of oneself to the point of setting himself as the sole authority of truth instead of those given authority. :wink:

The other posts have already elaborated the same point as mine.

Usually in scripture I have found that there is a superficial and deeper meaning to scripture. There seem to be levels of truth in the bible that must be taken in context.
Truth as I have been taught is that the Pharisees OT preists and those in authority wore rich robes and some with golden adorments and threads, etc. This is also referrring to an Asiatic for of dress worn by the wealthy Gentiles

And, at certain times in history is was dangerous to preach out loud as proven by the stoning of St. Stephen, the crucifixion of St. Peter and the murder of St.Paul andothers. Therefore, it has been necessary for some in history and even to today in certain countries to worship and spread the gospel in secret.

The preaching out loud also refers to those people looking to glorify themselves instead of God. I believe that it does not refer to those who hold mass, worship or evangelize.

Humbleness is in the eye of the beholder and if the beholder is uneducated to the truth of the bible and scripture as well as it’s literalness and metaphorical content given to us through Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic translation then it is important to educate them so that they do not continually spread misinformation.

Therefore, as I have said before, The Jeff Cavins series Bible Timeline connects 12 narrative books of the bible and helps us to make the connections between the OT and NT. He is a Catholic convert and very well educated in Hebrew and Greek and the bible as a whole. He will give you the answers to rebutt those who preach misinformation to further their own ignorant agenda.

Others here have great suggestions too. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

This charge sounds like a mangled allusion to a warning against the scribes and Pharisees in Mark 12, Matthew 23, and Luke 20. If he is of a literalist persuasion, you can point out that these three passages all have to do with lawyers (scribes) and laity(Pharisees). None of the three mention anything about clergy.

If one is going to support an argument by scripture, it is best to have the scripture right. Pointing out that if the “quotation” came from his pastor, it is not taken from the text could be the beginning of a revelation for him that he is on the wrong track. If someone claims “sola scriptura” then they need to live it or be one of those hypocrites that Matthew rails against (23:13). I suspect that a Catholic quoting scripture accurately is something his church has not prepared him for.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - avoid trouble and stay clear. :slight_smile:

16 There are six things which Jehovah hateth; Yea, seven which are an abomination unto him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood; 18 A heart that deviseth wicked purposes, Feet that are swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that uttereth lies, And he that soweth discord among brethren.
Prov 6:16-19 (ASV)

Thank you, :slight_smile: It is amazing how many people believe that Catholics do not know, read or own a bible.

There was another robe, not quite the same as the ‘long golden robe’ perhaps equally venomous? Equally dispised by his brothers? -

31 So they took Joseph’s robe, killed a goat, and dipped the robe in the blood. 32 Then they brought the special robe with long sleeves to their father and said, “We found this. You better examine it to see whether it’s your son’s robe or not.”
Gen 37:31-32 (GW)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.