Name venerated martyrs off the top of your head?

Saint Stephen (the first martyr)
Saint Peter (Apostle, the rock of Jesus Christ)
Saint Paul (Apostle, first Christian missionary)
Saint Sebastian
Saint Edmund of East Anglia
Saint Joan of Arc
The 813 Martyrs of Otranto (fought to the death against Turks to hold off an invasion of the Holy See)

These were the martyrs off the top of my head. Tell me about some more venerated martyrs. I want to know about as many of these Saints as possible

0 Likes

St. Cecilia
St. Valentine
St. Agnes
St. Agatha
St. Lucy
St. Ignatius of Antioch
St. Justin Martyr
St. Thomas Moore
St. John Fisher
St. Isaac Jogues and Companions
St. Maria Goretti

Hopefully at some point soon: Fr. Jacques Hamel.

1 Like

Nice. I’ll do some research on them, although I’ve heard their names before, especially Saint Ignatius

0 Likes

St. Maximilian Kolbe

2 Likes

(I was trying not to look at what was already listed, so my apologies if I repeat some.)

St. Thomas Becket
St. Agnes
St. Cecilia
St. John Fisher
The Holy Innocents
St. Maria Goretti
St. Maximillian Kolbe
St. Edith Stein
St. Lawrence

2 Likes

Not sure if these all are correct (some blesseds in here I think, and I’m just learning about the faith)— here are some I’ve read about recently

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)
Blessed Miguel Pro
Saint Andrew Kim Taegon and the Korean Martyrs
Carmelites of Compiègne (Blesseds)
Saint Theophane Venard (maybe most famous for being an inspiration to Saint Therese of Lisieux)

2 Likes

St. Oscar Romero (Just became a saint a couple months ago with Pope Paul VI, he was a Bishop in San Salvadore and spoke out against social injustice, shot during mass)

St. Jean de Brébeuf (Missonary with St. Isaac Jogues who is also a martyr, mentioned in above post)

St. René Goupil (First North American canonized martyr, missionary with Jogues and Brébeuf)

All good saints but please look up Oscar Romero, such a wonderful saint

3 Likes

St Margaret Clitheroe
St John Fisher (a compatriot of Thomas More’s. executed around the same time)
Could one consider St Gianna Molla a martyr? She effectively gave her life for her faith by refusing to have an abortion and losing her life in giving life to her child …

2 Likes

A martyr is traditionally one who is killed “in odium fidei”, in hatred of the faith. St. Gianna Molla was not killed in hatred of the faith - she wasn’t killed at all, she chose to risk her life - therefore she is not a martyr. She is still a great saint.

I believe there was some controversy over St. Edith Stein being canonized as a martyr because she was actually killed because she had been born Jewish, not because she currently was Catholic at the time of her death. The counterargument was that she was also killed because the Church in the Netherlands had spoken out against Nazi racism so that made her a Catholic martyr.

Edited to add, I note there has been some discussion of a new standard for martyrs, “odium amoris”/ “in hatred of love”, which would allow more people to be beatified/ canonized as martyrs, which also means that fewer miracles are needed to get them through the process because they are martyrs.

0 Likes

There are more martyrs than I could begin to count, but I’ll throw in a few that haven’t been mentioned yet:

St. Philip of Moscow, whose feast day was yesterday. He was killed by Ivan the Terrible for refusing to bless Ivan’s genocides. He was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church but was featured on the Independent Catholic News saint of the day yesterday.

St. Mark Ji Tianxiang, an opium addict who was denied the sacraments for many years because he couldn’t beat his addiction, but still died a martyr and was canonized. I personally think he should be a patron saint of addiction.

Blessed Stanley Rother, a priest from Oklahoma who was martyred in Guatemala. He may end up as the first male saint born in USA (he is currently contending with Blessed Solanus Casey, not a martyr, for that honor).

1 Like

So, this “odium amoris” classification is official?

0 Likes

It really would be the same thing anyways, since the basis of faith is Love, who is God.

0 Likes

From the Litany and the Roman canon:
St. Stephen,
St. Lawrence,
St. Vincent,
Sts. Fabian and Sebastian,
Sts. John and Paul,
Sts. Cosmas and Damian,
St. Linus,
St. Cletus,
St. Clement,
St. Sixtus,
St. Cornelius,
St. Cyprian,
St. Chrysogonus.

As well as the holy Maccabean martyrs.

1 Like

St panteleimon !

0 Likes

0 Likes

I don’t know for sure.

0 Likes

St. Barbara
St. Ecaterina the Great Martyr
St. Justina
St. Menas
Sts. Daria and Hrisant
Sts. Cosma and Damian
St. Patriarch Tilkhon

1 Like

Thank you, Mary888

1 Like

St Longinus
St Perpetua
St Barnabas

0 Likes

Forgot also Saint Paul Miki and the 26 Japanese Martyrs

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.