Name ways in which we are all brainwashed

when i was very young (grade school) i was taught that Indians were “savages” and that they needed to be civilized…

obviously that contradicts the Catholic Church’s view on humans as all being equal in the eyes of God and all human lives being Sacred…

i was taught this propoganda (we were) as a way of excusing waht was done to the Indians by the good old US gov’t… :rolleyes:

Also, i was never actually taught much about Blacks but just the media alone… portrayed them as… lesser-thans…

i could mention some other ways in which i have been brainwashed… but i guess that will do for now…

I don’t think they were referring to their dignity as in inherently inferior, but to their primitive culture. The Aztecs were barbarians who practiced human sacrifice and caniballism. Archetecture and such does not make a people civilized in my eyes, culture and society does. Now, many of the things the europeans and there ancestors did were unjust, but they wereren’t completly innocent either, although when most people think Indians, as in Native Americans, they probably don’t think Aztec, the Aztecs were from present dayMexico and were conquered by the Spanish in 1521.

well, maybe not but to a child… without any explanation like this… i did grow up thinking that Native Americans (not the Aztecs) were maybe 1 step higher than savage beasts… and again, i was taught that Blacks were not as good as Whites… thank God… well, there is one good thing about the teen years: a person begins thinking for himself… (herself). :smiley:

The Aztecs were barbarians who practiced human sacrifice and caniballism. Archetecture and such does not make a people civilized in my eyes, culture and society does.

yes, that is something that had to come to an end. but it was the Spanish who rescued those doomed to die on the temples… & they were Catholics… The US is mostly protestant, was 1st settled by Protestants… and well… we all know how things went… Catholics were pushed into one state (Maryland) and persecuted, etc…
and the Trail of Tears… was totally unjustifiable… :mad

another brainwashing: we are “told” that beauty, prestige and wealth are what we should aspire to…

I’m glad i am not “beuatiful”… because beautiful women have to contend with… yikes!! men. :smiley:

and if men are THAT shallow minded… who needs one? :rolleyes: (not saying all are… but too many just wnat a good-looking woman… oh please…)

i don’t watch TV because if i am going to be brainwashed, it won’t be by that &*^%$#$ garbage…

I prefer to let the Church brain-wash me :smiley:

I like the concept of this thread…
What comes to mind first is the way society often dictates what certain groups of people are “capable” of doing:

[LIST]
*]Men cannot control their sexual urges.
*]People can’t be expected to practice chastity before marriage.
*]Americans have no chance of winning the marathon if they’re up against someone from Kenya, Ethiopia, etc.
*]Relativism–we can’t expect to be 100% sure of truths in life regarding things like religion.
[/LIST]

If I think of any more, I’ll be sure to add them!

very good ones… i thought of them myself, just not today … :rolleyes:

too distracted…

yeah, that 2nd one… seems Americans don’t expect TEENS to be capable of abstinance… so we gotta throw b-conrol pills and condoms at 'em… pathetic…

yes, it IS hard to control one’s sexuality completely, as in celibacy for yrs and y rs…

i’ve been celibate so long i forgot what that kind of thing is like… (although i kinda wish i would forget even better … :smiley:

What’s the good of remember soemthing you can never have? )

but anyhow…

that reminds me of another brainwashing: the way the media tells you that you are un-natural to go against your sexuality for a long time… the way they send the msg that priests are abnormal… Well, i can kinda u/stand that one 'cause… well, i’ve been taught… that first thing on your list… “men are animals”… as it were…

kinda scary how we are not who we are supposed to be… because of all the brainwashing…

makes you wonder: who would we be if we weren’t so programmed??? :hmmm:

guess this is why Jesus says to become like little children in order to enter Heaven…

– we are taught that abortion is not really murder

or if it is… the life of the murdering “doctor” who kills the unborn is much more important than that of the little ones he kills…

I don’t think mass genocide rescued anyone. Bartolome de Las Casas made it obvious in his letter to King Phillip II

“A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies”:frowning:

gutenberg.org/etext/20321

That was bad too, but the Aztecs once sacrificed over 80,000 people to commemerate a new temple. So yes, many people were spared a brutal death.

I think a lot of men are brainwashed into believing that women have to look a certain way in order for them to be attractive.

I think women are brainwashed into believing that life’s fulfillment is found in sexual “freedom” and acting like men.

1. That Paul Revere was the main person who alerted everyone to the fact that the English had landed and that war was emminent. In fact, Paul Revere only rode 20 miles, whereas Isreal Bissel rode 345 miles. Of course, Isreal Bissel wasn’t immortalized in a poem.

2. That Abraham Lincoln initiated the Civil War to end slavery. In fact, Lincoln favored a different 13th Amendment - one that would have forbidden the federal government to interfere with slavery where it already existed. The real motivator behind the Civil War was economic mercantilism. Lincoln believed ardently in protectionism and corporate welfare, whereas the states that would comprise the Confederacy supported free trade. The system that Lincoln advocated received 75 percent of its revenue from the net-exporting South, and then spent 75 percent of that money in the North — the South was getting fleeced, and that’s why they seceded. Lincoln said that his priority was “preserving the union,” and if it meant that there would still be slavery in the South, that’d be fine — just as long as the tariff was collected.

We’re brainwashed into thinking that the people of Columbus’ time thought the world was flat [see [URL=“http://www.amazon.com/Inventing-Flat-Earth-Columbus-Historians/dp/027595904X”]Inventing the Flat Earth].

We’re brainwashed into thinking that we only use 10% of our brain.

The sport of figure skating is filled with incorrect stereotypes, and many people have been brainwashed into believing that these are true:

1. Most men who figure skate are gay or effeminate.

2. Little boys who go into the sport of figure skating will be approached and groomed by gay men, and will eventually end up gay or at the least, effeminate.

3. Asians are the best figure skaters because of their small bodies and hard work ethic.

4. The judges are prejudiced, especially judges from the former Soviet bloc countries.

5. Figure skaters get a lot of financial help from sponsors.

6. Synchronized skaters are not as good as singles skaters, and that’s why they go into synchronized skating.

7. Figure skating is bad for a child’s physical development, hard on the joints, often causes girls to become anorexic or bulemic, and many girl figure skaters don’t get a period because of low body fat.

8. The sport of figure skating is all about politics.

9. Figure skating is not a good family sport.

10. Figure skating costs too much for the average family.

ALL of these statements are total myths, yet people believe them.

everyone seems to think his particular race (or whatever) is better than everyone else’s…

we need to start educting our children better… teach them at home if necessary… to avoid the brainwashing… They are taught a lot of masonic nonsense in school these days… it’s always something… :rolleyes:

a child cannot help being brainwashed. he believes what he is taught … very sad… :frowning:

until he begins to think for himself… which hopefully happens in adolescnece…

i cn totally relate. I have never wnted to be a man… except that men cn be priests and i always thought it would great to be a priest… but i am happy w/ the way God made me… which is an interesting point… people get sex changes and do all kinds of weird stuff because they are not happy w/ the way God made them… What a slap in God’s face…

but of course, as the Word says, God is not mocked…

i am begnning to think tht the Word should be read in schools… No one is forced, thereby, to believe in it or adhere to it (just as we are not forced to beleive that G. Washington was the 1st president?), but no one should be ignorant of what the Scrtpures say… They can choose to believe its the Word of God or not … but no one should be ignorant of it… The masons and others want us to be ignorant…

could you explain this a little better? I am not quite following this…

i have, for a long time, wondered why we had to go to war w/ ea other in the 1860’s … At this point, with the limited knowledge i have, i maintain tht we should not have fought the Civ War… I feel that if we had left things as they were, slavery would have ended anyway… We could have done other, more civilized things to end slavery… I am not so sure having all the states united was al that great a thing and i definitely don’t (agian - at this point…) think that it merited losing (I think) 500,000 lives… :frowning:

we are brainwashed into believing that red meat is always unhealthy but vegetables are …

Yet in nature animals are far more abundant than vegetables (unless we cultivate them ourselves)…

we are brainwashed into thinking that this life is all there is…

I read that those 80,000 were sacrificed in one weekend. Sacrifices apparently were practiced through Central and South America. I’m surprised that by the number of people being sacrificed, there was anyone here when the Spaniards arrived.

Columbus’ encounted the Carib Indians who, reportedly, practiced cannabilism.

Mel Gibson’s movie, Apocalypto, gives a good idea of what the Spaniards found when they first landed.

National Geographic TV had a very interesting report on the three Indian mummies found in Peru. They were a 15 yr. old maiden, a seven year old boy and a six year old girl. It is thought the children were marched for six months to be sacrificed at the volcano in the 1500s. X-rays were taken of the children’s teeth which showed signs of grinding, a habit caused by stress.

after all the history i have read… one violent atrocity after another, one bloody war after another… man’s inhumanity to man… i ask myself: Wht the h-- is wrong with the human race?

then, worst of all is what “we” did to Jesus…

to say we all have an anger problem is obviously an understatment…

just don’t GET it…

i have never had the urge to kill anyone…

(except this one ex… but that’s another story… :D)

That souds like one of those things that we were brainwashed into believing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.