Names that mean Light?

I'm thinking about some names I would use when I become a nun. :D I would like names that have to do with light or fire. But I don't want saint names, unless they are uncommon! :) (Sorry, St. Philomena!)

Lumina is one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiara_Luce_Badano

Chiara Luce Badano - means "Clear Light".

Chiara Badano, called Chiara “Luce” (which means "Light"), (Sassello, October 29, 1971 – Sassello, October 7, 1990) was an Italian teenager who has been declared "Blessed" within the Catholic Church. She belonged to the Focolare Movement and died prematurely at eighteen after succumbing to osteosarcoma, an aggressive and painful form of bone cancer.[1] She was beatified on September 25, 2010 in the Sanctuary of “Our Lady of Divine Love” in Rome. Her memorial is 29 October.[2]

God bless you in your vocation!

[quote="Regi, post:2, topic:267073"]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiara_Luce_Badano

Chiara Luce Badano - means "Clear Light".

Chiara Badano, called Chiara “Luce” (which means "Light"), (Sassello, October 29, 1971 – Sassello, October 7, 1990) was an Italian teenager who has been declared "Blessed" within the Catholic Church. She belonged to the Focolare Movement and died prematurely at eighteen after succumbing to osteosarcoma, an aggressive and painful form of bone cancer.[1] She was beatified on September 25, 2010 in the Sanctuary of “Our Lady of Divine Love” in Rome. Her memorial is 29 October.[2]

God bless you in your vocation!

[/quote]

Thank you! Is "Luce" pronounced like "Lucy" or "loose"?

You could consider Luz. It's Spanish for light.

I believe it is pronounced more like loo - chi.

Lucy
Elaine
Elena
Ellen
Helena
Helen
Chiara
Clare
Dawn
Lainey
Phoebe
Eleanor
Karen

I was going to say Lucy, but we got a whole list here! nice one

Lucia, Luciana. :slight_smile:
My sisters name is Lucia and it’s loo-see-ah.

I love that name Dawn. I almost got it from my Mom but my Dad named me.

After a quick Google search, I came up with conflicting answers to the question, "Do nuns get to choose their own names?" I looked it up because I thought not. Does it depend on the order one will join?

Eleanor--I love that name. Eleanor Parker was gorgeous! Probably not a criterion...:)

[quote="White_Peony, post:3, topic:267073"]
Thank you! Is "Luce" pronounced like "Lucy" or "loose"?

[/quote]

Loo-chay

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:6, topic:267073"]
Lucy
Elaine
Elena
Ellen
Helena
Helen
Chiara
Clare
Dawn
Lainey
Phoebe
Eleanor
Karen

[/quote]

Are all of these considered Christian names, there fore appropriate for a baptismal name?

My name is Alena, which is a derivative of Helena, which means light :)

Lucy or Luz
I would have thought if the order asks you to chose a new name it must be a saint, or an attribute of the Lord or Our Lady, or biblical in some way.

Nour is Arabic for light (Umme-Nur, an epithet of the Virgin, means "Mother of Light").

Along the lines of Dawn, Aurora, Aurore or Oriana.

[quote="Phaedra777, post:10, topic:267073"]
After a quick Google search, I came up with conflicting answers to the question, "Do nuns get to choose their own names?" I looked it up because I thought not. Does it depend on the order one will join?

[/quote]

Yes, it does depend. But in the orders they do allow you to choose, you have to choose 2-3 names and give them to the Superior. The superior prayerfully chooses which of the names you give.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.