Naming our home

Hi, we have just bought our first home, and we would like to give it a special Catholic name.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

[quote=aboverubies]Hi, we have just bought our first home, and we would like to give it a special Catholic name.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
[/quote]

When DH and I were looking for a house, lo, many moons ago, whenever a house gave itself a name to our imagination, we knew we were looking at a house we could live in. We flirted with three:

Littlemore (because there was little more than room to swing a cat)

The Orchard (because the house was set far back on the property and there were 4 apple trees in the front yard)

and Salem Hill (because it had a peaceful feeling with large trees all around and and sat on a shallow rise)

But we bought Stonehaven (it’s stone, and it is our haven)

I have re-named the house I inherited in rural western Michgan from Oak Knoll to Sparrowfall (Are not twosparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s will.)

Good luck in finding a “Catholic” name, though I cannot imagine what that might be. It might be a place where Jesus preached or where an event occurred in his life that has meaning for you. Bethsaida? Nazareth – to honor the ordinary, hidden life of our Lord? Siloam? Elim (where there were twelve springs of water and seventy palm trees)?

How about using the description of a saint you like. For example, if you like Therese you could name it Little Flower. Or Teresa, then, Avila. Catherine? Name it Sienna.

Or you could use a nice English word or phrase and translate it into Latin.

Our House: Nostrum Domus

sanctuary: templum

Blessed: beatus

Here is a Catholic Dictionary, you can find lots of words there.

catholic-forum.com/saints/indexncd.htm

Villa de Ave Maria or Ave Maria Villa

JesuVille

Trinity home

People name their houses?

“People name their houses?”

Sure they do if they want!

But we want to name our home! :slight_smile:

Just because. It’s where our children will grow up, and one day leave to get married or go to seminary etc. We want it to be special in every way.

[quote=aboverubies]“People name their houses?”

Sure they do if they want!

But we want to name our home! :slight_smile:

Just because. It’s where our children will grow up, and one day leave to get married or go to seminary etc. We want it to be special in every way.
[/quote]

So have you come up with any possibilities?

How about “the hermitage.”

We live next to my husband’s brother, sister, and parents who owned about 20 acres behind us. We call it the compound. I’m not sure if it is more like the Kennedy’s or Waco.

We have an old house that feels ugly and small, but I’m inspired! Perhaps if we give it a good name, I will change my attitude. Something to think about… :hmmm:

I like Maris Stella. :yup:

Maybe if you tell us a little bit about your house and the geography around it, we could pick a name that is catholic and descriptive of the environment. For example, Stella Maris may not be appropriate if it’s a home in the middle of the desert.

We call our house the "Raspberry House’’ because it has raspberry bushes on one side.

We did not intentionally set out to name the house, it just happened. I like the idea of you picking a nice Catholic name to help make your house a home. Sweet.

[quote=sanctareparata]I like Maris Stella. :yup:
[/quote]

Super name for a beach house!

My mother’s maiden name is Crocco. Her mother and father farmed walnuts and almonds…and growing up we were all a wild bunch a crazy loud Italian/Irish kids running all over the place…

so the name of the ranch is…

are you ready…?

THE LOCO CROCCO NUT FARM

Thank you…thank you very much…:clapping:

[quote=LSK]My mother’s maiden name is Crocco. Her mother and father farmed walnuts and almonds…and growing up we were all a wild bunch a crazy loud Italian/Irish kids running all over the place…

so the name of the ranch is…

are you ready…?

THE LOCO CROCCO NUT FARM

Thank you…thank you very much…:clapping:
[/quote]

:rotfl: . A house name with a little humor in it is great. I know a former mathematics professor who calls his retirement place: Aftermath

Sometimes a characteristic of the location will suggest a name. Washington Irving’s house on the eastern bank of the Hudson river has a beautiful southern exposure. He called the house “Sunnyside.”

The Jesuits call their Staten Island retreat house “Manresa” after the place where St. Ignatius of Loyola had his profound conversion experience.

What is “house of love” in Hebrew? Beth-something or other? Hm?

My DH and I have always wanted to name our home but have never gotten around to it. We tossed around the name ‘Monticello’ after our visit to Thomas Jefferson’s home. The name just didn’t stick because we are such poor gardeners.

This thread inspires me to continue with our pursuit.

Hi All,

Thankyou so much for your fantastic suggestions - so clever and creative!

My favourite so far is Sparrowfall…beautiful sound, beautiful meaning…just lovely!

We had been thinking about calling our home “Maranatha” after hearing it in a hymn at mass a few weeks ago. It is a Greek word meaning “Our Lord is coming and He will judge those who set Him at nought.” (www.dictionary.com) But I was imagining explaining the meaning to non-Christian visitors and it didn’t seem very welcoming. We don’t want to turn people off and offend them before the’ve even walked in the door! What does everyone think?

aboverubies

[quote=Robert in SD]Maybe if you tell us a little bit about your house and the geography around it, we could pick a name that is catholic and descriptive of the environment. For example, Stella Maris may not be appropriate if it’s a home in the middle of the desert.
[/quote]

Our home is 1017 metres above sea level in a beautiful old country village on top of a mountain. It is about 40 years old and has been renovated beautifully (by the previous owners - thankyou Lord!) Our area experiences four distinct seasons and the winters are very cold. (Well cold for our part of the world.)

It has lovely big rooms with high ceilings, polished floorboards and period features like cornices, picture rails, fireplaces. It is nestled in the middle of a very large garden filled with fruit trees (apple, peach, plum) rhododendrens and 32 camellia shrubs.

When I stood in the yard trying to decide if this was the house for us or not, all I could hear was the wind in the trees (and my heart beating loud and fast because I loved it so much!)

This house has truly captured our hearts and we would love to welcome many more children into it in addition to our three blessings and make it a home they will remember with great fondness. It really seems to me to be just asking for a name!

aboverubies

[quote=aboverubies]Our home is 1017 metres above sea level in a beautiful old country village on top of a mountain. It is about 40 years old and has been renovated beautifully (by the previous owners - thankyou Lord!) Our area experiences four distinct seasons and the winters are very cold. (Well cold for our part of the world.)

It has lovely big rooms with high ceilings, polished floorboards and period features like cornices, picture rails, fireplaces. It is nestled in the middle of a very large garden filled with fruit trees (apple, peach, plum) rhododendrens and 32 camellia shrubs.

When I stood in the yard trying to decide if this was the house for us or not, all I could hear was the wind in the trees (and my heart beating loud and fast because I loved it so much!)

This house has truly captured our hearts and we would love to welcome many more children into it in addition to our three blessings and make it a home they will remember with great fondness. It really seems to me to be just asking for a name!

aboverubies
[/quote]

Houses on mountainsides lend themselves to all kinds of wonderful names. Friends of ours have had a house called simply “The Heights” on a New Hampshire mountainside for 155 years. A mountain house with wind in the trees could be unpretensiously called “Breezes” . . . Sparrowfall lends itself more to a hermitage. Your home sounds like it will be filled with joy. Joyfull could be a possibility.

Nearly all of the cottages that surround the lakes in my area ( NY fingerlakes ) have names. Most have painted or wooden handcarved signs posted outside their homes. It is fun to read the homey or fanciful names people gives their places of abode.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.