Nancy Pelosi to receive Planned Parenthood's top award [CC]

US House minority leader Nancy Pelosi has been named to receive the Margaret Sanger Award from the Planned Parenthood Federation.The Margaret Sanger Award, named from the notorious …

More…

I don’t know how someone can identify herself as a “practicing Catholic”, while campaigning tirelessly for unrestricted legal abortion. :nope:

MODERATOR REMINDER

Do not question anyone’s spirituality. Read the forum rules in my signature for more information.

You can discuss the issues involved, but when you start passing spiritual judgement upon the politician, either directly or indirectly, you are violating forum rules.

**According to St. Thomas (II-II, Q. liii, a. 1) scandal is a word or action evil in itself, which occasions another’s spiritual ruin. **

catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=10541

I know many Catholics, myself included are appalled that a Catholic public figure would receive such an award. I’m sure many have alot of harsh criticism about Nancy Pelosi as well. Sadly, many Catholics today are divided on the abortion issue. I believe our priests, bishops and cardinals should be more vocal about this very serious issue.

On a related note:
Worthiness to Receive Holy Communion: General Principles
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (2004)

1. Regarding the grave sin of abortion or euthanasia, when a person’s formal cooperation becomes manifest (understood, in the case of a Catholic politician, as his consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws), his Pastor should meet with him, instructing him about the Church’s teaching, informing him that he is not to present himself for Holy Communion until he brings to an end the objective situation of sin, and warning him that he will otherwise be denied the Eucharist.

2. **When “these precautionary measures have not had their effect or in which they were not possible,” and the person in question, with obstinate persistence, still presents himself to receive the Holy Eucharist, “the minister of Holy Communion must refuse to distribute it” **(cf. Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts Declaration “Holy Communion and Divorced, Civilly Remarried Catholics” [2002], nos. 3-4). This decision, properly speaking, is not a sanction or a penalty. Nor is the minister of Holy Communion passing judgment on the person’s subjective guilt, but rather is reacting to the person’s public unworthiness to receive Holy Communion due to an objective situation of sin.

Meeting between Archbishop Niederauer, Pelosi (CWN)

A spokesman for Nancy Pelosi has told Real Catholic TV and Our Sunday Visitor that San Francisco Archbishop George Niederauer met with the House Speaker on February 8 to discuss her position on abortion. Commenting on the meeting, spokesman Brendan Daly said, “She is not changing her position on abortion.”
Cardinal says no communion for Irish politicians who support abortion (EWTN News)

As the Irish parliament considers legalizing some abortions, Cardinal Raymond Burke says that local Catholic politicians who support the procedure should be refused Holy Communion in hopes of inspiring their conversion.

“There can be no question that the practice of abortion is among the gravest of manifest sins,”Cardinal Burke told the Irish newspaper Catholic Voice in an interview published Feb. 1.

**Once “a Catholic politician has been admonished that he should not come forward to receive Holy Communion,” the cardinal added, “as long as he continues to support legislation which fosters abortion or other intrinsic evils, then he should be refused Holy Communion.” **
Cardinal Burke’s Advice to Nancy Pelosi: Back Off Holy Communion (National Catholic Register)

“I fear for Congresswoman Pelosi if she does not come to understand how gravely in error she is. I invite her to reflect upon the example of St. Thomas More, who acted rightly in a similar situation, even at the cost of his life,” he said.
Out of respect for the moderation rules, I have not expressed my point of view on the subject…just laid out some of the background involved.

Isn’t her area covered by Archbishop Cordileone? He is a very orthodox and holy Priest. I hope he has a serious talk with her about the scandal she has caused and continues to cause with her public support of abortion. I wish she had enough care about her faith to renounce her support for abortion and comply with Church teaching]
Lisa

Sacred ground

Her heart is already hardened. There’s nothing one can do to unchange hers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.