NASA: Quake shifts Earth Axis? News Link

March 1 (Bloomberg) – The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

businessweek.com/news/2010-03-01/chilean-quake-likely-shifted-earth-s-axis-nasa-scientist-says.html

This is very interestiing. It is speculative in a way because they are tlaking about computer models and not actual measurements (yet).

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions.

I hope it doesn't cause me to miss The Daily Show tonight!

;)

The article is interesting, but it doesn't offer any explanation of what the effects of such a change would bring. The article quotes another scientist as saying that the movement of air masses through the atmosphere has a greater effect on the Earth's rotation.

bigger earthquakes have happened for millions of years before we were around. Besides any change is negligible

Great Scott! If this keeps happening at a rate of 1 a year we’ll have to subtract 1 second in approximately 1/(1.26/1000000) years.

For those without a calculator handy, that almost 794K years. I think we’re gonna be alright. :wink:

Oh that's just nifty dandy!?! As if I didn't have enough time already to catch up on everything I still have to do! Now I have even less time?! :mad:

I'm sure Al Gore has a plan to correct this. It will require lots of money.

[quote="JimG, post:6, topic:188950"]
I'm sure Al Gore has a plan to correct this. It will require lots of money.

[/quote]

:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.