NASA Satellites Detect Unexpected Ice Loss in East Antarctica

"While we are seeing a trend of accelerating ice loss in Antarctica, we had considered East Antarctica to be inviolate," said lead author and Senior Research Scientist Jianli Chen of the university's Center for Space Research. "But if it is losing mass, as our data indicate, it may be an indication the state of East Antarctica has changed. Since it's the biggest ice sheet on Earth, ice loss there can have a large impact on global sea level rise in the future."

Coastal ice ebbs and flows. That has been known to happen. I wouldn't get too excited about this.

Antartic sea ice is still above "normal"
windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/polar/sea_ice/sea_ice_compare_south.html

Who ya gonna believe, my novel, unverified, gravity-differential detection calculation backed by million dollar satellite data, or your lying eyes? ;)

I donlt have much to say on this but here is a link skepticalscience.com/East-Antarctica-is-now-losing-ice.html

recent SH ice areaarctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/current.365.south.jpg S. hemisphere ice areaarctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/current.area.south.jpg S. hemisphere ice anomalyarctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/current.anom.south.jpg

[quote="gilliam, post:2, topic:177638"]
Coastal ice ebbs and flows. That has been known to happen. I wouldn't get too excited about this.

Antartic sea ice is still above "normal"
windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/polar/sea_ice/sea_ice_compare_south.html

[/quote]

Interesting-it shows that in feb 1979 the sea ice covered 18.4 million square kilometers . In September 2009 it covered 19.1 million square kilometers. Doesnt look like we have a trend of sea ice loss here at all

In Antartica no…but as to the why the answer is a little more complicated then saying Antartica must be cooling! Or whatever. but anyway skepticalscience made a post on this awhile back. skepticalscience.com/Why-is-Antarctic-sea-ice-increasing.html

You need to read more critically (i.e., you should avoid AGW-scam denier sites). ;)

Here's continuously updated data from the Japan's IARC/JAXA agency:
ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/AMSRE_Sea_Ice_Extent.png

[quote="Barnabas, post:8, topic:177638"]
You need to read more critically (i.e., you should avoid AGW-scam denier sites). ;)

Here's continuously updated data from the Japan's IARC/JAXA agency:
ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/AMSRE_Sea_Ice_Extent.png

[/quote]

They all look pretty tightly clustered / bunched.

Looks normal to me.

[quote="fultonfish, post:9, topic:177638"]
They all look pretty tightly clustered / bunched.

Looks normal to me.

[/quote]

That's the problem. You don't know how to read scientific data. Just like when scientist send emails to each other about hiding data or manipulating inputs to achieve the results they want would lead a lay person to think they are falsifying data when in reality it’s just the secret scientific method at work.:thumbsup:

[shhhhhhhokohsorryididn't knowaboutthsecretsciencestuffsorryshhhhh]

The above is for the Artic region.

Attached below (click to enlarge) is the equivalent for the Antartic region from Germany’s University of Bremen:

Same tight grouping. Current numbers right in the middle of the pack. Both data sets come from the same satellite. The Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer - EOS (AMSR-E) is one of the six sensors aboard NASA’s Aqua Satellite, launched from Vandenberg AFB, California on May 4, 2002.

Image at Bremen Univ is updated daily. I think because I have “attached” this (largish) image, it won’t update. Valid as of Dec 1, 2009.

Click link above to see updates (image is near bottom of page).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.