NASA's new mission: Building ties to Muslim world

Barack Hussein Obama has changed the mission and priorities of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Forget about exploring the vast expanse of the cosmos. It's now all about making Moslems feel good about themselves.

In an interview with the Al Jazeera network, NASA Director, Charles Bolden states that the "foremost" task obama has given him is "to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with predominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

Click here to read the rest of the article and to view the interview video.

Well he wants to help his own before he helps us here in the USA. I've been out of work for about a year now, when is he going to make me feel good about getting a job. 2 more years and counting... God please help us out of this mess called obama

[quote="Caveman, post:1, topic:204387"]
Barack Hussein Obama has changed the mission and priorities of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Forget about exploring the vast expanse of the cosmos. It's now all about making Moslems feel good about themselves.

In an interview with the Al Jazeera network, NASA Director, Charles Bolden states that the "foremost" task obama has given him is "to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with predominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

*Click here *to read the rest of the article and to view the interview video.

[/quote]

Well, OBumma did promise "change." http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Shrug.gif

Frankly, I was kind of hoping that his election would net the unemployed American people some dollars, not just some "change"...

To be perfectly honest, I don't think that Moslems, taken as a whole, need any boost to their already-bloated esteem. They already strut around acting as if they are the human personification of the fourth person of the Blessed Trinity...

Historical contributions? Conquered Greece and took much of their credit for Algebra. Conquered India and re-named "Hindu Numerals".

This is really bizarre.

[LEFT]"When I became the NASA administrator, [Obama] charged me with three things," NASA head Charles Bolden said in a recent interview with the Middle Eastern news network al-Jazeera. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: sfexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-new-mission_-Building-ties-to-Muslim-world-97817909.html#ixzz0srirjDC1
[/LEFT]

[quote="gilliam, post:5, topic:204387"]
[LEFT]"When I became the NASA administrator, [Obama] charged me with three things," NASA head Charles Bolden said in a recent interview with the Middle Eastern news network al-Jazeera. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: sfexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-new-mission_-Building-ties-to-Muslim-world-97817909.html#ixzz0srirjDC1[/LEFT]

[/quote]

I guess the goal is to teach Al Queda how to fly spacehips into our buildings

Well, he could point out how NASA uses Arabic numerals for all of it's calculations, and then phone Obama and say he's done :thumbsup:

(the mission numbers are mostly in Roman though ;) )

[quote="Brendan, post:7, topic:204387"]
Well, he could point out how NASA uses Arabic numerals for all of it's calculations, and then phone Obama and say he's done :thumbsup:

[/quote]

"Arabic numerals" were invented by Hindus in India. In fact a lot of what we think of as coming from Arabs actually came from Asia and were imported to Europe by Arab traders.

Re: NASA's new mission: Building ties to Muslim world.
I studied in three Catholic Universities and later I was very surprised about how little most people know about the Muslim and Jewish contributions to Catholic philosophy and theology. Particularly Ibn Sina (Avicenna), Ibn Rushd (Averroes) and Rabbi Moses Maimonides.

Ibn Sina could be said to have started the dialogue, his writings were studied, used and advanced by the other two and all their ideas and the ideas of others, including Plato and Aristotle were similarly used by St. Thomas Aquinas, whose "Summa Theologica" was made the basis of Catholic doctrine by Pope Leo XIII in 1879 in his Encyclica "On The Restoration of Christian Philosophy According to the Mind of St. Thomas Aquinas, The Angelic Doctor". Few know that his Proof of the Existance of God was based on the pioneering work by Rabbi Moses Maimonides.

My comment is limited to Ibn Sina, who read the Metaphysics of Aristotle 14 times before he claimed to understand it and later wrote "The Cannon of Medicine", the first textbook in all Medical Schools for 500 years. All medical knowledge can be traced to some school
established by the Arab Empire.
Another key contribution by followers of Islam were the Culture Centers established throughout the Arab Empire, including Europe, which welcomed officials of all religions to learn and participate in the work of explaining the writings of all religious and philosophical authors.
Sadly, other than fellow students, I have never met anyone even aware of any of this and their contributions to Ecumenical efforts seems totally ignored, with the exception of fellow students and teachers in the Catholic universities I attended.
Sadly, even my alma mater dropped the requirement of six semester of study of Philosophy and Theology for graduation but the world wide League of Thomistic Study survives -I hope.

NASA could focus is in the definition of Scientific Principles and Universals that are the basis of all science. All this work is based on writings that include key Greek, Muslim and Catholic
contributions. Newton claimed to have stood on the shoulders of giants and these are the giants, the forgotten giants in search of truth, or the search of God, who is The Truth.

Edith Stein aka St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, a Jewish convert to Catholicism, wrote: "Whoever seeks the truth, is seeking God, whether consciously or unconsciously" Other Jewish converts to Catholicism include Jaques Maritian and his wife Raissa. Dr. Maritain and Dr. Ettiene Gilson are considered by many the most important philosophical authors of the 20th Century. Everyone should read at least one of their many books to understand and truly appreciate Christian, Jewish and Muslim contributions to civilization, the basis of civility. We all strive and expect civility in ourselves and others.

[quote="Caveman, post:1, topic:204387"]

*Click here *to read the rest of the article and to view the interview video.

[/quote]

Would you prefer that they are made to feel bad about themselves and ignore their historic contributions that they've made to science, math and engineering? If not, then whats your point?

Wow, someone actually defended this. :o

[quote="gamewell45, post:10, topic:204387"]
Would you prefer that they are made to feel bad about themselves and ignore their historic contributions that they've made to science, math and engineering?

[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

If not, then whats your point?

The point is pretty clear. Assuming that this is really what Obama told him, it means Obama's priorities are way screwed up.

You gotta love it!:D He pretty much has thrown this country under the bus with his "America has made many mistakes" rantings, but a top priority is to reach out to the "Muslim Nations" to build their self esteem? Guess there are many ways to look at this, but how about "making Americans feel good about themselves".:shrug:
His administration has followed suit, with Eric Holder's "America is a Nation of COWARDS" public outcrys as well.

Charity does begin at home, I do believe.

[quote="gamewell45, post:10, topic:204387"]
Would you prefer that they are made to feel bad about themselves and ignore their historic contributions that they've made to science, math and engineering? If not, then whats your point?

[/quote]

So you beleive the priority of the our Spece agency should be to help Muslims feel better about themselves????????????????????????????

Ill have to admit that I am somewhat taken aback that anyone would defend this.

:eek: This is one of the most ridiculous and saddest things I've read in a while! It's NASA...the National Aeronautics and Space Administration...nowhere does that name indicate they are around to make people of a particular religion feel better about themselves. Seriously, I'm worried about NASA's future if these type of comments are accurate. Ugh...

[quote="estesbob, post:6, topic:204387"]
I guess the goal is to teach Al Queda how to fly spacehips into our buildings

[/quote]

Nah, just to give them an additional source of stones (moon rocks) for adulterous women.

Peace

Tim

[quote="exoflare, post:12, topic:204387"]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

The point is pretty clear. Assuming that this is really what Obama told him, it means Obama's priorities are way screwed up.

[/quote]

I think its strictly all subjective.

If you really believed that, then you wouldn’t even care what anybody else thought about this. Obviously that’s not the case.

NASA is the only thing the government is not taking over and instead is privatizing. I swear, this guy is cerfifiable.

I don’t agree with you. Guess in this case, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.