Nashua, N.H., school bans students from playing tag during recess

It's a miracle I survived childhood. Banning dodge ball and now tag?!?!?! Concussions from playing tag? Give me a break.:rolleyes:

sunjournal.com/news/new-england/2013/10/10/nashua-nh-school-bans-students-playing-tag-during/1435148

An elementary school in Nashua, N.H., is reminding parents and students that playing "tag" violates the school's longtime "no contact" rule for recess games.

Charlotte Avenue Elementary School Principal Patricia Beaulieu posted a letter on the school's website last week informing parents of the school's safety policies. She says while "tag" may seem innocent enough, it has been banned in many schools because of injuries.

She told the Telegraph of Nashua that several concussions, a broken wrist and other injuries prompted her to post the letter, and she emphasized that while she wants children to run, jump and play, it has to be in a safe way.

[quote="garn9173, post:1, topic:341713"]
It's a miracle I survived childhood. Banning dodge ball and now tag?!?!?! Concussions from playing tag? Give me a break.:rolleyes:

sunjournal.com/news/new-england/2013/10/10/nashua-nh-school-bans-students-playing-tag-during/1435148

[/quote]

I didn't even realize that dodge ball had been banned. And now also playing tag? It seems a little ridiculous to me and that we're raising a bunch of wimps. When I was in middle school (junior high, as it was called then), we played war ball. Now THAT was rough.

an example of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Whatever the injuries were in excessive tag or grabbing should be dealt with on an individual basis. Accidents do happen but there might be just as many if the kids play impromptu sports like football or soccer as well. The injuries probably happen from poor or lack there of supervision than actually playing tag or dodge ball. What I remember of dodge ball was a very soft rubber ball that couldn't hurt anyone.

[quote="robwar, post:3, topic:341713"]
an example of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Whatever the injuries were in excessive tag or grabbing should be dealt with on an individual basis. Accidents do happen but there might be just as many if the kids play impromptu sports like football or soccer as well. The injuries probably happen from poor or lack there of supervision than actually playing tag or dodge ball. What I remember of dodge ball was a very soft rubber ball that couldn't hurt anyone.

[/quote]

Aren't running and jumping parts of tag - only with less organization?

Careful..

When you jump UP, ya gotta LAND and ya might twist an a knee or ankle.

and the Swing Set, oh my the injuries that COULD happen if kids accidentally "slipped" out of the darn thing:shrug:

I have a great idea. Lets just invest in HUGE amounts of bubble wrap when our little one have recess and every teacher just wrap then up first.:rolleyes:

[/quote]

I bet your parents also abused you by letting you ride a bike and climb trees!;)

I say that if you get out of childhood without a broken arm you haven't really been a kid!

[quote="SamH, post:4, topic:341713"]
Aren't running and jumping parts of tag - only with less organization?

[/quote]

yes, it shows how stupid we've become. One bad incident and then everything is thrown out the window. My younger brother had his hip displaced by someone falling on him during play time. But back in those days, the play ground was a black top with no give at all. My parents didn't sue the school and the kid that fell on my brother, it was his first day of school. Life does happen and accidents do happen.

[quote="meltzerboy, post:2, topic:341713"]
I didn't even realize that dodge ball had been banned. And now also playing tag? It seems a little ridiculous to me and that we're raising a bunch of wimps. When I was in middle school (junior high, as it was called then), we played war ball. Now THAT was rough.

[/quote]

My husband played a game called "duck ball" that prominently featured an enormous ball made only of duct tape. Think dodgeball on steroids, but only played in a narrow hallway. It stopped when a window was broken. :eek:

I remember when "Red Rover" was banned at my school. I didn't mind that so much...I'm surprised that no one I knew ever suffered a dislocated arm!

Now that I think about it, I think this may be the result of two things: an over-litigious culture, and possibly more people working in education who don't have their own children. My oldest is only two, but I remember being so careful with him, so afraid of every tiny little bump or bruise. I'm not rough with him now by any stretch of the imagination, but I did learn that the only way he was never going to injure himself was if we did absolutely nothing, ever.

Maybe the principal was inspired by the story below and failed to recognize it's literary genre? :)

To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer

[/quote]

When I was a kid, we (the boys) used to play "King of the Mountain" on a levee where one would try to be the one who could get to the top and stay there. So, each boy would be literally grabbing and throwing the others down the hill. Looking back, we could have gotten seriously injured because there were big sprinklers that we could have landed on.

[/quote]

Many times schools ban things so as to avoid liability - you can be your bottom dollar there is a school somewhere that was sued because a child was hurt playing tag. While suing a person over tag seems silly, can you blame schools and school districts for protecting themselves?

Pathetic. Sad. Unfortunate. :mad:

I read last week that a school banned balls at recess. The poor kids can't even play kickball, baseball, football...or even CATCH!!!!! :mad::mad:

[quote="triumphguy, post:6, topic:341713"]
I bet your parents also abused you by letting you ride a bike and climb trees!;)

I say that if you get out of childhood without a broken arm you haven't really been a kid!

[/quote]

and without gasp....a helmet! I also rode in the back of pickup trucks and in the front seat WITHOUT a seat belt. In today's world, my parents would've been locked up for child neglect :eek:

[/quote]

Sad but true: google.com/#q=schools+banning+dodgeball

Back in August, my Elks Lodge had a family fun night, complete with dodge ball, the kids loved it. The night ended with a kid friendly movie, but older kids were more interested in playing tag in the dark ;) (Wouldn't flip the schools out?)

[quote="KimberlyCat, post:12, topic:341713"]
Pathetic. Sad. Unfortunate. :mad:

I read last week that a school banned balls at recess. The poor kids can't even play kickball, baseball, football...or even CATCH!!!!! :mad::mad:

[/quote]

Just saw on Fox News that one school only allows Nerf style balls on the playground. How are you expected to play basketball with a Nerf ball? :rolleyes:

Not to play devils advocate, but I could see the schools trying to ban tag, for possible sexual harassment charges. A boy can go up to a girl and touch her in the breasts. Remember some girls hit puberty as early 9 or 10, we played tag til I was 14 or 15

I'm pretty sure I should have died in elementary school. Tag. Touch football. In basketball sometimes you have to box people out, and people bump into each other when they jump up for a rebound. In kickball I recall having to run to a base where people would sometimes be standing. Things got pretty dicey if the throw was going to be close. In the end we were truly a Band of Brothers (and Sisters) after surviving that nightmare.

People blame the schools but a lot of this type of thing is caused by the insurance companies.

Pax Christi!

I once hurt myself getting out of bed in the morning. Never again!

God bless.

Isn't tag just running, though? Is that still allowed?

[quote="Deus_tecum, post:16, topic:341713"]
People blame the schools but a lot of this type of thing is caused by the insurance companies.

[/quote]

Perhaps. But those insurance companies are motivated by preventing trial lawyers from taking a chunk. If we want to look at root causes, it starts with trial lawyers.

[quote="svid2, post:17, topic:341713"]
Pax Christi!

I once hurt myself getting out of bed in the morning. Never again!

God bless.

[/quote]

But if you don't get out of bed, the bed might collapse or the ceiling might fall on the bed! Besides the inevitable bed sores and poor circulation. Be very careful...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.