Nassau University Medical Center on Long Island apologizes to nurses over abortion decision

WABC:

Nassau University Medical Center on Long Island apologizes to nurses over abortion decision

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A hospital on Long Island issued an apology Wednesday for disciplining nurses who refused to participate in an abortion.

Nassau University Medical Center now says the nurses did nothing wrong when they said they morally opposed taking part.

It's been the hottest of hot button issues for years. The dust, is now only settling after a fight over abortion between Nassau University Medical Center and the union representing its nurses.

"Quite frankly, it's even difficult for me to talk about, cause it's not a good issue," said Jerry Laricchiuta, the President of CSEA Local 830.
Laricchiuta sees a lot of discipline cases cross his desk. This one is especially sensitive. Nine of his members were suspended by NUMC, for refusing to take part in an abortion.

"We are here to protect our workers rights, and our members have the right to object to perform an abortion if they so choose," explained Laricchiuta.

Well, I'm surprised -- I would never have expected this from the CSEA.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:197646"]
WABC:

Well, I'm surprised -- I would never have expected this from the CSEA.

[/quote]

They probably got a lot of flak for it and their public image was being tarnished, which is bad for business. Forgive me for being so cynical.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:2, topic:197646"]
They probably got a lot of flak for it and their public image was being tarnished, which is bad for business. Forgive me for being so cynical.

[/quote]

I agree, this was one case of bad publicity not being good publicity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.