Nastradamus, evil or good?

I heard that nostradamus was a catholic, is this true? i also heard that he saw future events, but not by revelation of god. I heard he used somekind of witch craft or wizardry to achieve his desired results. Is this true? :eek:

I don’t know.

I do know that we shouldn’t place any belief in any of his so called “predictions”.

At the start of every decade a new stream of books seems to get published showing that Nostradamus made astounding prophecies about the coming decade (and previous). These books should only be read at the end of the decade. I read a couple recently about Nostradamus’ predications about the 1990s. Amazingly, he got pretty much everything wrong while getting the 1980s spot on!

Simple reason - the writings are vague baloney that people repeatedly try to apply to current events. Since they’re so vague it’s easy to do and past events can be made to fit wonderfully. Unfortunately we don’t have hindsight about future events so spotting the predictions fails constantly - since there aren’t any really.

Nostradamus: Attack on America. Ray Comfort

livingwaters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=107

The Secrets of Nostradamus Exposed (VHS)
livingwaters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=402&Category_Code=Videos

The Last Pope: Examining Nostradamus and Malachy

Nostradamus or Michel de Nostredame was a practitioner of medicine in Provencale France. His writings were published at Lyons in 1555 as centuries, or groups of one hundred quatrains. His quatrains have been criticised as ramblings and ravings obtained under delusions and demonic influence. Whatever the basis, there is a simple and rational explanation to them and in some a startling true revelation, which could only be really understood after the event. The purpose of this paper is to look at some of these and to explain what they probably mean. One is a startling and true prediction concerning the murder of a pope. Others concern the possible commencement of what is described somewhat as the end of this phase of the control and life on earth as we know it.

logon.org/english/s/p288.html

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Nostradamus+catholic

I see him as a false prophet because many of his so-called prophecies missed the mark wide.

The Facts About Nostradamus
And His Prophecies
Dan Corner
evangelicaloutreach.org/nostradamus.htm

The Mask of Nostradamus: The Prophecies of the World’s Most Famous Seer (Paperback)
by James Randi

google.com/search?hl=en&q=Nostradamus+false+prophecies+occult&spell=1

One of his quartrains had a very specific date in it.

Nothing happened that day.

Prophets of God are not 99% accurate–they are 100% accurate.

So if his prophecies arn’t from God, they’re sinful.

There are three parts to a prophesy:

Who, what and when.

In all the prophesies that can really be attributed to N, and not those somehow attributed decades or centuries afterwards, N never got more that one right… not two, not all three… and rarely one. Some prophet…

evil…can’t say

good… can’t say

useless… that would be my guess

[quote=asteroid]I don’t know.

I do know that we shouldn’t place any belief in any of his so called “predictions”.

At the start of every decade a new stream of books seems to get published showing that Nostradamus made astounding prophecies about the coming decade (and previous). These books should only be read at the end of the decade. I read a couple recently about Nostradamus’ predications about the 1990s. Amazingly, he got pretty much everything wrong while getting the 1980s spot on!
Simple reason - the writings are vague baloney that people repeatedly try to apply to current events. Since they’re so vague it’s easy to do and past events can be made to fit wonderfully. Unfortunately we don’t have hindsight about future events so spotting the predictions fails constantly - since there aren’t any really.
[/quote]

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day!

[quote=thistle]Even a broken clock is correct twice a day!
[/quote]

that is unless that clock had no hands.

I have read some of Nostradamus’ “predictions”. I don’t think they’re accurate (particularly since he said the world would end in 1999, and lo and behold- it’s 2006 and we’re still here).

I think he was either a fraud or possessed by the devil- but certainly not given the gift of prophesy by God.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]that is unless that clock had no hands.
[/quote]

That’s true! :slight_smile:

[quote=m134e5]I have read some of Nostradamus’ “predictions”. I don’t think they’re accurate (particularly since he said the world would end in 1999, and lo and behold- it’s 2006 and we’re still here).
[/quote]

Actually, he didn’t say that the World would end in 1999. He said that the third World War would start somewhere around Nov 22 and Dec 21, 1999. Obviously, that didn’t happen.

The end of the World wasn’t predicted to happen for another few more centuries – sorry, but I don’t recall the exact date since I haven’t studied this stufff in a while.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.