National Catholic Register?

Is the National Catholic Register heretical or is it in line with the Magisterium. On the Catholic Radio network, i heard that they were in line and were now part of EWTN, but then from other sources i’ve heard that they are not.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless, :slight_smile:

You can’t get any more orthodox than the Register.

On the other hand, there is another paper called the National Catholic Reporter. They are about as different from the Register as they can be. You may have mixed them up, or the person to whom you were speaking may have mixed them up.

Yes, the National Catholic Register is a very good publication, although I have a few quibbles about a few of their columnists and their opinions. It reports important news accurately and is in line with the Magisterium. The one to avoid is the National Catholic Reporter.

Peace,
Ed

Yes, the National Catholic Register is owned by EWTN and is the big name in orthodox Catholic newspapers right now. It used to be owned by the Legion of Christ, but the tie was severed due to the scandal with them and it was picked up by EWTN.

I’m sure if you look hard enough in any publication you can find material to criticize, but probably less in the National Catholic Register than most of its peers.

I think a lot of Catholics get confused on this. I know I did at first.

Yes, they are two different publications with similar names and very different perspectives.

Any Catholic news source is going to have its share of opinions, so I don’t think we should expect any of them to be infallible mouthpieces of the Magisterium. But National Catholic Register actively tries to operate within the boundaries of Catholic doctrine. The National Catholic Reporter doesn’t seem to hold to that same philosophy.

The National Catholic Register is a good Catholic newspaper.

It is the National Catholic Reporter that is not. I refer to it as the National Catholic Distorter, so that helps me remember which is which.

I used to subscribe to the Register back in the 1990’s, before it was bought by the Legion. I really loved it - it was thoughtful and covered a wide range of topics, all the while being faithful to the teaching authority of the Church. I remember reading a guest column by someone who belonged to one of the ancient churches of the East (the Churches that broke away in the 4th/5th centuries over Christological disputes) which was interesting and informative. They had other guest columns as well by non-Catholics but it was never a false ecumenism, just a way to be more informative.

When the Legion took over the paper, they put an end to all that. It seemed as though they were trying to be hyper-orthodox. The tone of most of the articles tended to become shrill in my opinion. I stopped reading the Register after a while. I wonder if it has changed at all since EWTN took it over.

National Catholic Register has always been in compliance with Magisterium and orthodox…not only supports the Truths of the Church on matters of faith/morals…it thinks with the mind of the Church and acts with the heart of the Church.

You must be referring to National Catholic Reporter…an entirely different story…a really sad story…a really damaging saga story to the Catholic faith and the Body of Christ (Laity).

The National Catholic Reporter, which is an outgrowth of a diocesan newspaper…was given permission by their Bishop so as to be independent…but also in compliance with Church’s teachings on matters of faith and morals…and the teachings of Vatican II…in order to report a broader spectrum of local/national/world news…The Church in the World perspective…which is absolutely what Vatican II’s Spirit was all about…engagement in the World…aggiornamento…a bringing up to date the Church in the world…but NCR…“drank the Kool-aide”…the World handed them…and their sad story is another one that is doomed to the dustbin of history…a dinosaur just waiting for the proper time to becomes extinct.

Here is part of a condemnation and charge of heresy and threat of excommunication…by Bishop Charles H. Helmsing, Bishop of Kansas City-Saint Joesph, Missouri…(paper is headquartered in Kansas City part of his diocese)….condemnation of NCR (Reporter)…as far back as 1968…

Text of NCR Condemnation: Bishop Helmsing charges Heresy

National Catholic Reporter | October 16, 1968

As the editors of the National Catholic Reporter know, I have tried as their pastor, responsible for their eternal welfare, and that of those whom they influence, to guide them on a responsible course in harmony with Catholic teachings. When private conferences were of no avail, as is well known, I had to issue a public reprimand for their policy of crusading against the Church’s teachings on the transmission of human life, and against the Gospel values of sacred virginity and dedicated celibacy as taught by the Church.

NOW, AS a last resort, I am forced as bishop to issue a condemnation of the National Catholic Reporter for its disregard and denial of the most sacred values of our Catholic faith. Within recent months the National Catholic Reporter has expressed itself in belittling the basic truths expressed in the Creed of Pope Paul VI; it has made itself a platform for the airing of heretical views on the Church and its divinely constituted structure, as taught by the First and Second Vatican Councils. **Vehemently to be reprobated was the airing in recent editions of an attack on the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the virgin birth of Christ, by one of its contributors. **
Finally, it has given lengthy space to a blasphemous and heretical attack on the Vicar of Christ. It is difficult to see how well instructed writers who deliberately deny and ridicule dogmas of our Catholic faith can possibly escape the guilt of the crime defined in Canon 1325 on heresy, and how they can escape the penalties of automatic excommunication entailed thereby.

In fairness to our Catholic people, I hereby issue an official condemnation of the National Catholic Reporter. Furthermore, I send this communication to my brother bishops, and make known to the priests, religious and laity of the nation my views on the poisonous character of this publication.

kwtraditionalcatholic.blogspot.com/2012/06/does-your-parish-support-heretical.html

NCR (Reporter…not Register)…has gone from the wading in the pool of dissent and liberal theology to the outright deep waters of heresy (a cesspool they can’t even smell while up to their neck in the stench)…and excommunication. I have often wondered if anything was done to take “Catholic” out of their name…probably a losing battle given the over “sanctified and pompous” legal view of “the press’” 1st Amendment rights. but is is a real injustice in truth for them to carry the name Catholic…not to their bishop…but to their readers.

Lastly…they survive because they have a readership constituency…so Catholic’s in the pews are really the focal point in my opinion.

Pax Christi
another site…more details.
greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00Cofv

I finally have been able to keep them strait by this simple menomic:

National Catholic Distorter:D

Thank you, so very much, for this information.

Peace,
Ed

Wow, i must of gotten them mixed up. :blush:

Well, thanks for the help and yes i did order it so thats all done. I hope its as good as everyone here says it is :smiley:

This is a good point. We can’t even expect it of L’Osservatore Romano, which has run some pretty bizarre articles in recent years, but which unfortunately the American media always interprets as “Vatican statements.”

Do they have much content from the actual paper? I didn’t see an option for the paper, just the news & blog feed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.